1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MLK Day 2021

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Jan 18, 2021.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This MLK Day is especially poignant coming at a time of continued division in this country. We're getting ready to see a President out that built his support courting racial and other grievances culminating in the storming of the Capitol. This is following a year marked by massive protests and upheaval about the treatment of Black men at the hands of the law enforcement. Even as recently as last week we had another unarmed black man killed in front of his own house by LE. All at the same time as a pandemic is raging that is hitting people of color hard.

There has been progress made too. The flipping of Georgia is likely something MLK would be very proud of especially with the election of the pastor that held his pulpit being elected to Senator from Georgia.

Still 52 years later after the death of MLK we've got a long way to go to the top of the mountain that MLK saw.

Dgn1, RocketWalta, Ubiquitin and 4 others like this.
  2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The backlash against Trump's white supremacists is going to be strong. We've already seen many blacks and many women appointed to high positions in the Biden administration.

I think January the 6th will be cathartic and we're going to make great strides in racial equality over the next four years, and hopefully eight years. Maybe 12 years!

Go Kamala!

deb4rockets likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Is it, though? Recent history has shown us a lack of commitment from liberals/democrats. Sure, if you **** with them it’s like waking up a hibernating bear. But once the bear has roared, smacked a few intruders around and chased them off, it goes back to sleep.

To continue the animal analogy, conservatives/republicans are like goal oriented rats. They have something to achieve and they don’t care what is destroyed on the way to said goal. If they get cornered they push each other out of the way to get off the ship, but they always circle back to start gnawing on their obstacles again.

What the democrats truly need is a guiding hand of strong leadership, not stopping to smell each and every flower on the way to the honey.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Biden has purposely appointed civil rights advocates to high positions in the Department of Justice ⚖️ for exactly this reason.

Civil Justice will be their focus, and they are passionate about it.

FranchiseBlade and Reeko like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Listening to the Morning Joe panel discussion on MLK they are reminding people how unpopular MLK was at the end of his life. The imagine constructed since his death and one that many Conservatives like to refer to wasn't quite what he was. For many Americans MLK's life effectively ended at the "I have a dream" speech ignoring his struggles not just for racial justice by also for social and economic justice. Also largely ignoring his opposition to the Vietnam war.

MLK and Malcolm X have been portrayed as the two poles of the Civil Rights movement with MLK as the conciliator and less radical while Malcolm X was the no compromise fighter. In actuality near the end of his Malcolm X had greatly moderated and spoke of racial recognition while MLK near the end of his had become more radical.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't have today off.

Thanks Obama!

7. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Always classy Mojo, even on MLK day he aches to act like an ass. Just can't help yourself can you?

London'sBurning likes this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

On cue an example of how most Americans don't understand MLK.

10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

So true ...VP choice judged on the basis of color of skin, not content of character. No one likes Kamala and she got tossed around in the primaries

MojoMan likes this.
  11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Even during the beginning of his Civil Rights career, he wanted to make people uncomfortable and tense. He wanted to put the brutality in their face to force them face it and make changes. It was never about just having peaceful non-confrontational marches.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let's hope.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

81,000,000 liked her enough to vote for her

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Much like previous CRAs, the Devil will be in the details.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

You mean Biden ...let’s not underestimate that unlikability factor (Hillary)

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

But I've seen on Parler, Twitter, FB, and other sites that all the right wingers said that Biden won't last but a few months. That being the case, clearly people were voting for Harris.

London'sBurning likes this.
  17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This is the first one I've ever had off. Wasn't sure how to celebrate with the kids, but we went on a long bike ride, had steaks, baked cookies, and had a movie night.

Thanks Obama.

Dubious likes this.
  18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just sharing a 1 min 11 sec video clip and a couple quotes from Martin Luther King. I think with all that's going on we need some positive vibes. Time to unite, and hope for love and peace over hate and violence.

"Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend."

"Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it."

I have fallen victim to hating on Trump myself. I hope I can learn to be a better person by reflecting on these words. I just have to hope that things will get better with Biden.

#18 deb4rockets, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Dubious likes this.
  19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

20. deb4rockets

Supporting Member