1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MLB Postseason Predictions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by texans1095, Oct 1, 2019.

1. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Haven't seen a thread on this specific topic yet and the playoffs start tonight with the NL Wild Card game. Go ahead and post your postseason predictions below.

Also, here's the link to submit your picks on MLB.com https://www.mlb.com/fantasy/postseason-bracket-challenge.

Here are mine...

NL Wild Card Winner: Nationals

AL Wild Card Winner: A's

NLDS: Braves over Cardinals

NLDS: Dodgers over Nationals

ALDS: Yankees over Twins

ALDS: Astros over A's

NLCS: Dodgers over Braves (4-2)

ALCS: Astros over Yankees (4-2)

World Series: Astros over Dodgers (4-3)

WS MVP: Alex Bregman

solid and the shark like this.
  2. the shark

the shark Member

Agree with all of these picks with a few tweaks:

Dodgers over Braves (4-1)
    Astros over Yankees (4-3)
    Astros over Dodgers (4-2)

The one pick I feel I'll be wrong is the A's over the Rays. My gut tells me Charlie Freakin Morton is going to pitch lights out tomorrow night.

texans1095 likes this.
  3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I have the Astros sweeping the Dodgers in my bracket challenge. BOOM!

4. Major

Major Member

I like that they go through the trouble of having a scoring system (5 pts for WC game, 45 pts for MVP, etc), but then only award 1 prize and you have to get everything correct to win.

texans1095 likes this.
  5. astros123

astros123 Member

Bet 4k on the astros to win the Pennant. Easiest money out there.

I dont understand everyones obsession with the Dodgers. Their bullpen is a joke and Jensen has looked AWFUL all year. He had a few decent starts in September but other then that hes been AWFUL. You're going rely on a 25 yr old Buehler as your ace? We all know Kershaw is going to joke this offseason and his curvebaall this year doesnt have the same break.

Stros vs Braves

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

definitely not that easy. this years yankees very much will be a problem. but if you did gl!

7. SuraGotMadHops

I fear the ALDS as the biggest challenge to the Astros this season - if we can just get through that first short 5 games series, then I think we go all the way. I think Morton is going to pitch the Rays to victory tomorrow.

8. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Astros lost 2 games this year where they were one of, if not the biggest favorites of the past 10-15 years. Baseball can be a funky game to bet on. I'm still debating doing the Mattress Mack bet.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

you must not have followed the yankees this year

10. SuraGotMadHops

I am well aware of the Yankees success and potency, they are "f***ing savages in the box." But in a 7 game series the Astros can beat anybody. It's the shortness of the Divisional Series that worries me because things can go bad in a hurry, a short slump is enough to end your season, whereas in a longer series you can slump for three games straight (see 2017 ALCS Games 3 - 5) and still recover.

astros123 likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

for the last 2 years people have been seemingly so worried about the 1st round and the astros turn right around and take care of business quick and with ease. but hey for some reason the concerns continue about how this and that can happen. I'm just that confident in the stros that I only worry about certain threats I guess

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Twins over NYY
    Astros over A's

LA over Wash.
    STL over Atlanta

Astros over LA (WS)

13. astros123

astros123 Member

This years yankees? LOL their rotation is a fkin mess. Whos their ace? Servino doesnt scare me at all. His last start his slider looked like ****. Didnt have the same sort of break.

They're already talking about having multiple bullpen games.

14. astros123

astros123 Member

Just bet on the Astros to win the Pennnant at -103.

marks0223 likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah their starting pitching can be questioned but they have a very deep and very effective bullpen that can help make up for it. four relievers averaging at least 12 K's per nine innings and a fifth in Britton, whose ERA is under 2.00. Paxton is probably their only guy that's going to be treated as a traditional starter but it's not like they don't have some guys capable of playing a prominent role. if you think getting pass the yankees is going to be that easy, you're in for a big surprise. especially with a long lineup fielding solid hitters

16. PhiSlammaJamma

NL Wild Card Winner: Nationals (1-0)
    AL Wild Card Winner: Rays (1-0)
    NLDS: Cardinals over Braves (3-2)
    NLDS: Nationals over Dodgers (3-2)
    ALDS: Yankees over Twins (3-2)
    ALDS: Astros over Rays (3-0)
    NLCS: Nationals over Cardinals (4-2)
    ALCS: Astros over Yankees (4-0)
    World Series: Astros over Nationals (4-0)
    WS MVP: Justin Verlander

K mf G and solid like this.
  17. SemisolidSnake

I know it seems proper to pick 6 and 7 game scenarios against these really good teams. And these teams are really good. However, if the Astros come out firing on all cylinders, I could see them just steamrolling some of these teams. In 2017, Hinch was sewing together games with starters as relievers and we had different but fewer threats at bat, especially at DH.

I'm not going to call it, but I could see some 5-game wins in the 7-game series. And with a little run support, the JV-Cole-Greinke monster may just sweep the ALDS. I know I've been more worried in the past, but I just don't quite know how any team is going to best these Astros IF they're mentally locked in.

18. SemisolidSnake

Now, that's confidence.

What three Astros items will be sent to Cooperstown? In 2017, it was Alex Bregman's glove, Charlie Morton's hat, and JV's jersey.

I'll say a lock of Gerrit Cole's hair, Yordan Alvarez's most smashy bat, and a jar full of Roberto Osuna's arm sweat.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

To be fair the 2017 batting lineup was deep. The difference is pretty much yordan in place as our dh but Marwin was the guy the rest of the world never heard of and boy was he a threat

20. Jeremy Williams

NL Wild Card Winner: Nationals

AL Wild Card Winner: Rays

NLDS: Braves over Cardinals

NLDS: Dodgers over Nationals

ALDS: Twins over Yankees

ALDS: Astros over Rays

NLCS: Braves over Dodgers

ALCS: Astros over Twins

World Series: Astros over Braves (4-2)

WS MVP: Alex Bregman