1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MLB (Non-Astros Related)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by North Star, Sep 26, 2006.

1. North Star

North Star Contributing Member

How bout them White Sux!!!!!!!

Congrats to the Twins for winning the AL Wild Card. However, it's bittersweet. I just don't see them rookie pitchers shutting down the Yankees. I'm not all that thrilled about the Twins going to the postseason.

It's been an unbelieveable year for the Twins. It was not always sweet. #34, rocky start, depleted rotation and OF. All of the adversity they overcame to get into the postseason. Talk about massive progression.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

[​IMG]

thx for starting a new thread, I didn't have any place to put this. The "defeat" is misaligned but I didn't care enough to fix it.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

As my father always said: "I'd rather you sit on your fat ass and not do anything, than do it half ass"

5. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Congrats on the Twins WC, NorthStarED!

6. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Ok, I'm so fkn glad about the White Sux...I was so tired of hearing Ozzie run his big mouth...They did run the last out of the WS on SC to tell everyone that White Sux are out...That still pisses me off...

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Ozzie and AJ Pierszynski (however you spell it) soured me on the Sox this year. I was very happy for my brother and other longtime Sox fans even though they beat the Stros. This year, I think Ozzie and some of the players got too full of themselves and forgot how fortunate they were last season. It was like they just KNEW they were destined to make the postseason this year and when the bubble popped it was too late for them to recover. The Twins just ran 'em over.

8. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

i thought the Astros were eliminated :confused: :confused: :confused:

9. North Star

The Cards collapse can go on for so long.

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

If you listen to North Star, the Astros got eliminated a few days ago. Check out the great, locked thread in the Astros, Texans, Dynamo forum. :D

11. North Star

Are the Twins delaying the inevitable or are they cheating death?

12. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

What an original statement...

...eh, I really don't care for the Twins myself, but I'm sure glad the Sox can't defend and we still have a chance.

13. North Star

What a rollercoaster ride it has been for the Twins? Some ups and downs and ups and downs throughout this 2006 season. We Twins fans have been going through a tough time recently with the death of #34. Now, we have reason to give thanks. A new ballpark on the way and then a division title. Hopefully, we'll have more to celebrate later in the month.

14. North Star

Postseason baseball starts today at noon.

I favor the A's only because of the Twins depleted rotation.

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Twins are in a lot of trouble... losing at home with Santana isn't a game you gave them much of a shot at all to lose.

By the way, if San Diego loses this game/series, Mike Piazza might be the goat. For those of you not watching, Pujols was just up with a runner on 1st and nobody out. Pujols popped it up behind the plate... but Piazza lost it in the sun and it hit the ground. That gave Pujols new life, and a few pitches later he launches a massive 425 foot shot that puts St. Louis ahead 2-0.

St. Louis isn't the easy out a lot of people think they are. Once you get in the playoffs, it's an entirely new season. And if they win the starts from Carpenter (and he looks very sharp today), all they need is one other game to take this series. I'm cheering against them, but if they win this game today, they're in a very good position to return to the NLCS.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

crazy big hurt hit 2 bombs. Santana looked solid almost the entire game and yet lost. Twins might be done on that... funny how things can turn that fast

17. North Star

That's it for the Tloses. They are done. They are so yesterday. Like the song goes, too little too late for them to come back.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Sincerely,

The 2004 New York Yankees

19. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

honestly i think i expected it to happen (and since i'm not sure who i want to win this series i don't know if i liked that or not). it's amazing how often someone or some team will have some huge, insane streak going for some stat in the regular season and then, once the playoffs start, at the most crucial part of some game or series, the streak comes to an end.

set a major league record and win 23 consecutive home starts by one pitcher, of course it comes to an end in game 1.

if a relief pitcher has some huge save streak coming in, you can be almost sure they'll blow the save when the series is 1-1 and ready to swing either way.

if a team has won every game they led after 8 innings all season, you know it'll end in the playoffs.

it just seems these streaks are just destined to end in the playoffs and santana's streak was just one more.

20. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

oh, and the yankees lineup is just obscene when it's all healthy.

damon, jeter, abreu, sheffield, giambi, arod, matsui, posada, cano.

a .342 hitter hitting 9th. arod hitting 6th?! good grief. how do you keep that lineup down?

it's amazing how the yankees are able to take their limited payroll and identify and acquire such diamonds in the rough as damon, arod, giambi, sheffield, and abreu and how they are smart enough to retain guys like jeter and posada at such reasonable salaries.

edit: i knew the yankees lineup made a lot, but i didn't realize it was friggin' $129.4M. 129.4! just for the hitters. and that's with robinson cano only making 381K (that's the .4M). 13, 20.6, 13.6, 10.7, 20.4, 25.6, 13, 12, .381 are the salaries through the order.

#20 francis 4 prez, Oct 3, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2006