1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MLB Home Run Derby

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by bobloblaw, Jul 15, 2013.

1. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I'm not particularly surprised there is not a thread for this already... Does anyone have any interest in watching the Home Run Derby, or is it not relevant? It could be interesting to see if Chris Davis can pull it out but I wish Miguel Cabrera was participating. I am betting Prince Fielder will win it.

2. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

I hope Bryce Harper puts on a show. His swing is effortless.

3. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Does it prove I am a homer that I think Chris Carter should be in this? Dude would put on a show. I mean he isn't that far out of the top 10.

4. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

He's the main reason I'll be watching this year too. He has one of the most fluid power swings out there. Should be perfect for the derby.

5. Major

Major Member

I wonder how many of his "outs" would be swings and misses?

6. bobloblaw

Great point. I think Bryce Harper has a solid swing, but he has not put up much in the way of numbers this year. I am expecting Cuddyer to put up a pretty good number despite the criticism.

7. bobloblaw

I don't understand why the players aren't wearing their team's hat. This NL/AL rivalry doesn't work.

8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I don't know who this is... this was retweeted by Zachary Levine.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Guys, ESPN Deportes has the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23HRDerby&amp;src=hash">#HRDerby</a> without Chris Berman. I don't understand what they're saying, but it's 100x better.</p>&mdash; Jeff Shafer (@jmshafer) <a href="https://twitter.com/jmshafer/statuses/356937556522307585">July 16, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

10. bobloblaw

Chris Carter is having a better year than Yoenis Cespedes. His AVG, OBP, HRs, RBIs are all better. I'm a little late, but no one imagined he deserved to be there.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

Bryce Harper's hair-do is a poor attempt of Chandler Parsons'.

13. jdh008

jdh008 Member

In my preteen years, the day of the home run derby was on my short list of favorite days of the year. I just couldn't get enough. After not doing so well in his first foray into the HR Derby, Bagwell getting into the second round in '99 at Fenway is still one of my favorite memories of the event.

Now, I still watch almost just out of respect for what the event used to mean to me. I can't stand Berman, just like everyone else, but I think the event is still fun if it's not taken too seriously.

That brings me to my next point. I understand that no player wants to pull a Cano from last year or a Bret Boone from 2001 or 2003, but the players take this thing waaaaaaayyyyy too seriously at this point.

Stretching to avoid getting hurt is one thing, but now we have players taking cuts in the cage before rounds and taking eight or ten pitches between swings.

Maybe it's because I was too young to notice or maybe it's just because we didn't have Twitter back then, but I don't remember anyone complaining about the event being drudgery back in the late-90s. And to me, that's because those guys back then were there to get their swings in and put on a show, not wait for the one pitch in the one location they can launch the ball out on. Guys are up there for 20 minutes at a time and that's what makes this thing drag on.