1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MLB Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Castor27, Feb 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Anyone been out to Globe Life Field? I'm heading out there for the Stros game in a week, trying to see what seats are worth going for? I would prefer to stay around 3rd base side.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

A's may be on the move. I really hope Oakland finds a way to keep them, because I hate when teams move (unless it's a team moving to Houston :) ).

I'm seeing lots to say Vegas would be the favorite. Is that market going to be oversaturated with pro sports teams? Smaller cities have done a nice job supporting one arena sport (with 40 or so home games per season)....if the region can draw in lots of people or if a city is a tourist draw like Las Vegas is, then seats can be filled easily as games typically are on Sunday afternoons when many are off for the weekend, and most are early enough in the day that don't interfere with getting up early the next day for work.

But baseball is a whole other animal. You're talking stadiums of roughly 40-45K capacity...81 nights a year, primarily on weekdays, with games ending late. The regional draw is fine for weekends, but most weeknights are locals who live in close proximity to the ballpark. Of course Vegas always has lots of tourists in, but not sure how big a draw a random MLB games is for visitors, unless it's their team playing against Vegas. NBA and NFL are just very different events than an MLB game, particularly for a Vegas type crowd, in my opinion. Would be crazy to see Vegas go from zero pro teams to 3 pro teams in about 5 years time.

Charlotte seems like a safe bet. Nashville could figure in. Of course, that would mean some sort of realignment (which may be coming anyway) given that having a team in either Charlotte or Nashville playing in the AL West would make very little sense.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If somehow they could get past the politics of being close to Houston, and Dallas. Austin would be a great place to put a team. Tons of rich people and the largest metro area without a team in one of the 3 major US sports. Considering Austin FC has the highest ticket prices in the MLS and sells the most merchandise, there is plenty of proof that a team would do well. The hardest part will be getting Austin to pony up for a stadium.

MadMax likes this.
  4. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I'd actually argue that MLB for Vegas makes sense if it is a closed stadium. Baseball is often considered that family environment to take the kids to, and lots of families visit Vegas and see shows, Grand Canyon, etc. It basically becomes another "show" for the families to attend. Also with games generally lacking action in today's era, a large private club section could do really for private parties and groups.

I know the Astros have been here for a while so the "spectacle" of seeing a live MLB game is not that big a deal to many of us, but that is not the case for a large swath of America especially many kids compared to the dominant press coverage of NFL and NBA.

5. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Haven't watched regular season baseball since 2017, but I've been watching shohei. Pretty crazy what hes doing.

Already a homer and a double tonight.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

What, after all their blabber about the Astros you were thinking the Dodgers had integrity?

... because, pounding on a garbage can is bad, but pounding on a girl...

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I wish Ohtani didn't have to play in the same division because the guy is crazy special. Its does help that besides him and Trout, the Angels are trash.

8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The MLB All Star Games is a joke. How can there not be a single player from the best team in baseball on the team?

You wouldn't see that in basketball or football.

9. BonziWellsGOAT

Bro if he turns out to be guilty is it any surprise Bauer is an actual scumbag

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Wouldn’t see it in baseball either because every team sends a player/gets a representative.

Best 7 teams sent at least three players. o_O

GIANTS (3): Brandon Crawford, SS; Kevin Gausman, RHP; Buster Posey, C
    RED SOX (5): Matt Barnes, RHP; Xander Bogaerts, SS^; Rafael Devers, 3B^; Nathan Eovaldi, RHP; J.D. Martinez, DH
    ASTROS (4): Jose Altuve, 2B; Michael Brantley, OF; Carlos Correa, SS; Ryan Pressly, RHP
    DODGERS (3): Mookie Betts, OF; Max Muncy, 1B; Chris Taylor, OF
    BREWERS (3): Corbin Burnes, RHP; Josh Hader, LHP; Brandon Woodruff, RHP
    WHITE SOX (3): Liam Hendriks, RHP; Lance Lynn, RHP; Carlos Rodón, LHP
    PADRES (4): Jake Cronenworth, 2B; Yu Darvish, RHP; Mark Melancon, RHP; Fernando Tatis Jr., SS
    RAYS (1): Mike Zunino, C
    A’s (1): Matt Olson, 1B
    METS (1): Jacob deGrom, RHP
    MARINERS (1): Yusei Kikuchi, LHP
    BLUE JAYS (4): Bo Bichette, SS; Vladimir Guerrero Jr., 1B^; Teoscar Hernández, OF^; Marcus Semien, 2B
    REDS (2): Nick Castellanos, OF^; Jesse Winker, OF
    INDIANS (2): Shane Bieber, RHP; José Ramírez, 3B
    YANKEES (3): Aroldis Chapman, LHP; Gerrit Cole, RHP; Aaron Judge, OF
    ANGELS (3): Shohei Ohtani, RHP/DH^; Mike Trout, OF^; Jared Walsh, 1B
    CARDINALS (2): Nolan Arenado, 3B^; Alex Reyes, RHP
    PHILLIES (2): J.T. Realmuto, C; Zack Wheeler, RHP
    CUBS (2): Kris Bryant, 3B; Craig Kimbrel, RHP
    NATIONALS (3): Kyle Schwarber, OF; Juan Soto, OF; Trea Turner, SS
    BRAVES (3): Ronald Acuña Jr., OF^; Ozzie Albies, 2B; Freddie Freeman, 1B
    TIGERS (1): Gregory Soto, LHP
    MARLINS (1): Trevor Rogers, LHP
    ROCKIES (1): Germán Márquez, RHP
    ROYALS (1): Salvador Perez, C^
    TWINS (1): Nelson Cruz, DH
    RANGERS (3): Joey Gallo, OF; Adolis García, OF; Kyle Gibson, RHP
    PIRATES (2): Adam Frazier, 2B^; Bryan Reynolds, OF
    ORIOLES (1): Cedric Mullins, OF
    D-BACKS (1): Eduardo Escobar, 3B

#670 J.R., Jul 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  11. lpbman

lpbman Member

Camarena never hit a hr in the minor leagues. Is a relief pitcher. In his second at bat ever in the big show, it facing Max Scherzer with the bases loaded and golfs one for a grand slam. Family in the stands in his hometown... Team walks it off in the 9th.

Baseball can be boring but man when -these- moments happen it sure is great.

MadMax likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

14. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

The Field of Dreams game was so damn cool. I think the movie is kind cheesy, it's a bit much, but watching a MLB game on that field was really sweet.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That 9th inning!

Buck Turgidson and STR8Thugg like this.
  16. Jalen Green OnlyFan

[​IMG]

17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

18. i3artow i3aller

19. i3artow i3aller

20. Buck Turgidson