1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MLB and MLBPA 2022 Master Agreement Negotiations

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marshall Bryant, Oct 6, 2021.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Aww ****, get your pistols ready!

3. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Dang. Booked my first trip from NY to Palm Beach to see some spring ball. I Guess we will go see some manatees or something. Or spend more quality time with my wife.
    SMH.

4. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

That time with the wife, it's the worst I tell ya ;).

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The longer the owners lock out the players, the longer Correa stays an Astro.

msn likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. Major

Major Member

LOL. I don't think he understands the idea behind mediation...

msn and Buck Turgidson like this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Get rid of the rule where if a player stays down an extra month, they get a full year more of control. Get rid of the rule where if they start their clock towards the end of a season, they lose one year of control (hence, they can get their feet wet to hopefully start the next season… their true rookie season… on opening day). Get rid of super 2. Keep the same arbitration and pre-arbitration years.

10. Buck Turgidson

Baseball has always been the worst enemy of Baseball.

It's impressive how they can actively **** this sport up with regularity.

Bregatron and msn like this.
  11. msn

msn Member

The worst thing about this is the mini-taste of it we had in 2020. Like the primaries in March and then the big clown show in November. You don't even get the throw-up taste out of your mouth, then a whole new pukefest starts.

Just get on the damn field and play ball.

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, looks really bad for MLBPA that they declined the 3rd party mediation. They could have at least countered with their own suggestion of a 3rd party mediator. Instead it looks like they are sticking their fingers in their ears and going "I can't hear you - la la la la".

Or maybe when a spouse declines to go to marriage counseling because "it's all the other person's fault anyway. I'm doing everything right."

It's going to be really irritating if those goes on extra long.

13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

MLBPA did the right thing for themselves by declining mediation.

In their view the last CBA and entire history has been skewed unfairly in favor of the owners.

I'm not saying that's right but looking at revenue increases and what increases NBA and NFL players have gotten the past couple of decades that makes sense.

Mediation is going to rely strongly on precedents and mid points both of which favor the owners and undermine what the players hope to accomplish

Then not agreeing to the input of the mediator would be a public relations nightmare.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

NBA and NFL players get a lower percent of revenue. MLB players share of revenue has been decreasing (not counting 2020), but was still over 50% last I've seen from Rosenthal (he says MLBPA confirmed numbers). In comparison to the other major sports leagues, the MLB owners have been taking it on the chin for money in exchange for rules that allow small markets to exploit club controlled players while the Cole's, Trout's, Stanton's get paid. From what I see, the MLBPA wants more money and freedom to go to club controlled players under current rules without a mechanism to try to keep parity and without a control on veteran player salaries to make up for increases to club controlled player salaries. I'd much prefer a system like the NBA with a soft cap and tying payroll to revenue, and young players getting paid, too. With minor leagues and MLBPA, I see that as difficult to implement.

The only things keeping "parity" in baseball is the club control rules as is, revenue sharing, and crap shoot nature of World Series. In the NFL and NBA, they have less parity, but it is mostly based on better run teams (or lucky teams getting a superstar or elite QB) crushing stupid teams. As a fan, I want parity of chance to be a great team. Dynasties don't bother me when they are due to a team selecting better players.

msn, Buck Turgidson and Major like this.
  15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Thank you for this informative and intelligent response.

In today's world it is all but impossible to read or listen to any "news" or information without it being slanted, spun, incomplete, or flat inaccurate.

It makes it quite difficult to form an unbiased and fair opinion.

16. Buck Turgidson

This. So much.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Love how the player wearing the Dodgers uniform is crying about tanking "as a winning strategy".

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I got to say I am pro-me. I tend to side with the owners (except in regards to pay of club controlled players and minor leaguers) because they tend to protect keeping game somewhat fair for their own selfish reasons.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

I'm the same, and am quite pleased that they've decided to start treating minor leaguers like human beings.

The Big-Timing "we went through that **** so you should to" attitude of the MLBPA has always pissed me off.

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I have a hard time "choosing" either side when they are dividing up billions of dollars, and as it is i'm lucky if I can afford to go to 4-5 games per year. I use to go to about 40

F the owners
    F the players
    Greedy Ba$tards