1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[MLB] All-Star Game

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Kate81, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Its official, the NL is cursed or just not as good.

2. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

uggghh.. I sat through 3 hours of the most boring baseball hoping to see Pence bat.

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Frickin' Rivera...

At least Tejada got it out of the infield... barely. :D

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you're bored by this game??

5. Hmm

Hmm Member

don't make eye contact..

2 people like this.
  6. BrooksBall

Oh well... the Astros will just have to win it all without HFA. :D

7. MadMax

Add to Reputation: Hmm
    What do you think of Hmm's post?I approve

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

lol the All Star game was like an hour faster than the HR Derby.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Bunch of crap. Let the first timers play. Pence should have gotten at least an ab.

With any luck, the Astros will still be in contention going into the last weekend and will take it out on Charlie Manual's pitching staff.

10. BrooksBall

So the only NL reserve other than Pence not to hit was Sanchez?

Werth was a replacement and got in over Pence. I know Manuel was managing but still...

11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Ugh... another year, another loss. The last time the NL won, I was 4. *sigh*

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Every AL run was scored off an NL West pitcher.

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm never watching another All-Star game ever again. The NL cannot win. What's the point? It's turned into a freaking joke is what it is. The only reason to watch any more is to see how the NL is going to find a way to lose the game per usual. I don't understand why the AL is better than the NL. Could it really just be the designated hitter creates this disparity between the AL and NL as the commentators eluded to? I have a hard time buying that. I just think if you want quality players...you go to the AL. If you want the leftovers...you go to the NL.

14. MadMax

No...it's just a quirk.

In baseball, the worst team can beat the best team on any given day more often than any other sport. Match up the Red Sox or Dodgers against the Nats for 13 games, and neither team wins all of those games.

These games have all been one-run decisions over the last 3 or 4 years. A ball bounces this way or that, and the outcome is entirely different.

The NL and AL have split even the last 8 World Series. 4 for the NL...4 for the AL. I don't believe there's a decided advantage because one collection of All Stars finds a way to beat the other collection by one run for one night in July over a series of years. That's a quirk.

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The Problem for the NL is that as the game progresses to the latter innings, their hitting gets worse while the AL pitching gets spectacular.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm going to pass on a piece of advice to you my young padawan that my father once told me...

"Son, if Tim McCarver tries to explain something to you about the game of baseball, you can be sure that no matter what comes out of his mouth, he is wrong."

17. justtxyank

Agree with everything in your post up to this point.

I disagree with this. I think there is a clear advantage right now to the American League in terms of overall talent. However, just like you said above about any team being able to beat any team on any given day, when you match up good teams in the playoffs, that increases dramatically. There is so much luck involved with the playoffs. Billy Beane described it as a crap shoot. His team is a perfect example. If some of his players hadn't misunderstood baserunning calls (interference, etc.) his team would have been in another AL Pennant game. If Derek Jeter doesn't back up a throw to home plate in an odd way and/or Giambi elects to slide, the A's go to a World Series.

So much luck involved. The AL is clearly better right now than the NL in my opinion. Not because of the All-Star game results, because I don't think the AL All-Stars were any better really than the NL All-Stars (save for the bullpen) but because the overall talent level is just higher.

18. MadMax

I'm with you on all that. I wasn't saying that one league wasn't better than the other...just that I couldn't use the All Star game as a measure of that. As you say...so much luck involved...and it's ONE game.

19. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I had to hit the mute button earlier than anticipated. I think it was Buck who said emphatically during Pujols first AB that when you lead the league in HR & RBI, you will lead the league in walks. The only player in the National League to lead the league in all 3 categories in the same season since 1950 is Mike Schmidt, and that occurred during the strike-shortened season in 1981.

20. justtxyank

Oh ok, I'm with you.

That's one of the least egregious examples of their idiocy, and in general, Joe Buck is much better than McCarver. Tim McCarver saying that the reason the AL is better than the NL in the ALL-STAR game is because of the DH, and then he himself pointing out that there isn't a DH every year, and then further digging his grave by saying that even when there isn't a DH in the game the DH makes the AL better because DH's make the rest of the lineup better...

He's so bad. He just doesn't make any sense at all.