1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MJ Wizards Comeback

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SmeggySmeg, Mar 13, 2001.

1. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Who knows

Report cites 'source very close to Jordan'

NEW YORK – Could Michael Jordan's next big acquisition for the Washington Wizards be ... Michael Jordan?

Citing a source identified only as being "very close to Jordan," Sports Illustrated columnist Rick Reilly reported in this week's edition the former NBA great is "90 percent committed" to making a comeback next season with the Wizards.

A Jordan comeback has been fueled by reports he is working out – with some saying he was spending up to six hours a day in a gym to get back into playing shape.

Jordan told The Washington Post on March 8 that a comeback "has not crossed my mind, but I will never say never."

"The first time I said never, I ended up coming back, but I can say that there's a 99.9 percent chance that I am not coming back," he said.

He told the Post that the main reason he has no intention of playing is that he would have to sell his interest in the Wizards, which he does not want to do. He owns between 5 percent and 10 percent of the team, with the option of owning up to 20 percent.

He acknowledged to the Post that he has been working out, but only because he is up to 240 pounds and wants to "get back to a respectable weight to help me get back into my suits."

Jordan, who last played in 1998, did not return a telephone call Tuesday from The Associated Press.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2001/0313/1153289.html

------------------
    "Repression never did me any harm (I finally ceased to include "stop masturbating" as one of my guilt ridden New Year's resolutions, but that's a different topic)." Achebe - programmer by day, Mrs Palmers Husband by night

2. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Jordan's not making a comeback, no matter how many wet dreams David Stern has about him playing again.

------------------
    The Rockets will be the NBA champions. Believe.

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Please GOD, don't let MJ return. The last thing this league needs is another re-tread star trying to bring the league back from the brink of destruction.

The NBA needs to stop wasting time on Jordan, admit that they waited WAY too long to start marketing the young players in the league today and get with it NOW.

------------------
    "Don't waste it. We're here."

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Please GOD, don't let MJ return. The last thing this league needs is another re-tread star trying to bring the league back from the brink of destruction.

The NBA needs to stop wasting time on Jordan, admit that they waited WAY too long to start marketing the young players in the league today and get with it NOW.

------------------
    "Don't waste it. We're here."

5. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

It would be great, imagine the matchups! Kobe-MJ, Carter-MJ, FRANCIS-MJ! It would be a novelty, the Wizards would still lose, but who cares? It would be fun.

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Hey Tweak ... you finally made an amusing post w/out pissing someone off!

------------------
    Nice guys finish last ... and im surely not going to finish last!

7. Timing

Timing Member

It'll never happen. He doesn't want to get embarrased out there by somebody.

------------------
    You cannot stop Moochie Norris, you can only hope to contain him.

8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think this talk is just a load of crap. One article said Barkley was also planning to come back with him...and said Barkley is getting into shape and losing weight...LOL, give me a break. I love Chuck, but I just do not believe that he is trying to get into shape now. MJ would be absolutely crazy to come back again after that wonderful finish and his now notorious last shot.

------------------

9. Live

Live Member

YAWN!!

Sounds like MJ's just trying to get into shape, so I'm not reading much into this rumor.

Plus, being the competitor he is, I think he's really committed to making the Wizards a quality team, which is the ultimate challenge. He's a lot like Jerry West, always looking for challenges. For example, remember when West signed Shaq? At the press conference, he was intense and excited, like he had just competed in a game. Jordan's the same way.

------------------

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Actually Charles is trying to get back into shape, he's lost about 40 pounds. I just find it strange why this rumor popped up so suddenly. You don't think that "Dictator" Stern is waving some cash MJ's way to improve ratings? Or he's calling in a favor from MJ. Hmmmm? [​IMG]

------------------
    The Heart of a Champion still beats. . .

11. Live

Live Member

Good point, RocksMillenium.

Maybe it just a case of 2 buddies deciding to get in shape together.

And as far as the 6 hours working out, I've spent 6 hours at a court playing games, as I'm sure several of us have, playing and/or waiting for games to end. So MJ humoring a bunch of guys at a spa is not a story. It would be more of a story if he were working out at a gym like Fonde, but then again Moses Malone, McCray, and others put in major minutes at Fonde and its not like any of them are making a comeback.

Once again, I get the feeling that this is a non-story and this is the product of a slow news day.

------------------

12. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm close to this situation. You've got nothing to worry about...trust me.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

13. jamma34

jamma34 Member

is it just me, or does anyone else see the whole original "90%" think as some kind of a practical joke?? early april fool's maybe?

------------------
    http://members.fortunecity.com/omar369

14. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I just received an automated phone call from Bill Balleza at Channel 2. All it wanted to know was if I thought MJ should come out of retirement: "Press 1 for yes, 2 for no, or 3 for not sure."

Sure MJ was great. If he can still play and still wants to play, then more power to him.

Personally, I don't really care one way or the other. I chose 3.

------------------
    "We got f*cking smashed every day. And then when we came here to Beverly Hills, we had drugs, we had chicks, we had orgies. I thought I'd died and gone to f*cking Rome"
    ---Ozzy Osbourne, on the early days of Black Sabbath

15. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Nah, rules are made to be broken. See Lemieux, Mario. If MJ wanted to play, the league would certainly find a way to let him.

But he doesn't, and this whole thing is an April Fool's joke played a month too early.

------------------

16. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

You never know with MJ. Especially if people keep telling him that he shouldn't/couldn't it may even push him more to do it.
    Physically I think MJ could, but I can't see Charles coming back.

Maybe they could bet Larry, Magic, Isiah & Kareem to join them [​IMG]

17. Hydra

Hydra Member

You can't see Charles coming back? He was tearing it up when he went down last year. I think Barkley NOW would be a better PF than many of the starters in the league.

------------------
    "We messed with the Bull, and we got the horns." -- Larry Brown "quote" from AirBullard.com

18. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

The rumor itself might have been fabricated by the NBA. Look what it has done, now all the news shows are doing stories about MJ's possible return, and the NBA is getting a lot of press. I bet a lot of people will tune into tonight's games on TNT just to hear about the rumor.

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

19. jamma34

jamma34 Member

20. Gascon

Gascon Member

Not going to happen.

------------------
    "There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another which states that this has already happened."

Douglas Adams