1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MJ weighs in on who is better - Kobe or LBJ

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dream Shake 81, Jul 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. clippy

clippy Member

Kobe shot terribly in the Olympics. This isn't even debatable. The team as a whole shot 55% FG and 38% 3PT. Key players:
    Lebron: 60% FG and 46% 3PT
    Wade: 67% FG and 47% 3PT
    Kobe: 46% FG and 32% 3PT

Not only that, Kobe shot way more FGs than anyone else on the team! If he had such a bad pinky maybe he should have cut down on the volume. This is hardly the "Bruce Bowen" role.

Kobe is living off one big shot he hit in the Final game, when in fact he was the main reason they were losing that game thanks to a horrible first half. Wade was the one who saved them that game.

Lebron barely even played in the previous Olympics. Larry Brown was the coach and he didn't like playing young guys. And Lebron in 2008 was far better than Lebron in 2004 and Kobe in any year.

2. clippy

clippy Member

OK, so to get this straight, you would trade last year's Shaq and Jamison for Gasol. OK, you are officially a moron.

3. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

When all your crappy points were countered with facts, all you can come up is personal attack?

At the end of the day, Kobe doesn't need excuses. You do.

4. goodbug

Did you watch the final game at all? Kobe was in foul trouble in first half. He got 10+ points and 2 assists in the last 8 minutes. Since when one shot could get you 10+ points? Kobe must be god.

5. clippy

clippy Member

It's not a personal attack. It's a fact. Anyone who would trade last year's Shaq+Jamison for Gasol is a moron (in the basketball sense.. I'm sure you are good at other things).

6. clippy

clippy Member

Yes, I was actually at the final game. Kobe hit one big shot (the 4pt play) and Wade hit the other big shot (the 3pt). They both scored on some other baskets in the 4th (as did some other players) but those were the big ones. This doesn't discount the fact that Kobe had a horrible Olympics. He's just living off a few highlight plays, like he has done his whole career.

7. goodbug

LOL, moron predicted Celtics would win the finals easily and got his ass handled.

Now nobody talked about finals he appears again.

8. clippy

clippy Member

Go ahead and show me the post where I predicted that and I'll be glad to call myself a moron. I said it would be a close series that could go either way, but I felt that HCA was really important. And it turned out that to be exactly correct-- HCA was the entire reason the Lakers won.

9. goodbug

Being a moron is just an IQ thing. Now you are trying to deny your past idiotic comments? You are taking your sorry dignity to the next level.

10. clippy

clippy Member

The posts are right there. Go ahead and show may where I made these alleged comments.

You, on the other hand, just said you'd trade last year's Shaq+Jamison for Gasol, which makes you a moron. I don't think you can find a single person on this board that would agree with you, even the other Kobe nuthuggers who want to downplay Gasol's contributions. That's how stupid that comment is. In one fell swoop, you've obliterated any perceived NBA knowledge people may have had for you (I had none, based on previous debates with you).

11. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

I did LOL at this coming from a Lebron lover.

Whats the excuse going to be if he doesn't win with Wade and Bosh? Bad team still? Not deep enough?

Wait..... what? Gasol I give you but you can't tell me Odom, Artest, Fisher or Bynum are better players than Jamison(Dudes a 20/10 machine and an all star before the Cavs) or Mo Williams?

It's the same old excuse from Lebron fans. Lebron has more tools at his disposal for sure but Kobe does more with them. Watch how often he tries to set up team mates early on.. sure Lebron gets assists but most are from collapsing the D on a drive, he doesn't move off the ball anywhere near as much as Kobe does... he constantly waits for the ball back so he can go himself. When the going gets tough? he shoots bad jump after bad jumper even though his strength is inside...

That being said, I still think Lebron has a championship with a decent coach. Times when Lebron was struggling and their offense was just plain horrid is more the coaches fault than Lebrons.... sometimes I even wondered if they had plays.

12. clippy

clippy Member

Nope, he will have no excuse if he doesn't win multiple titles (at least 3, but I expect 5-6) with this team. It is by far the most talented team in the NBA.

13. clippy

clippy Member

Gasol is far and away better than anyone the Cavs had last year. I personally think Odom is better than anyone on the Cavs too, but I can see an argument for Jamison being better. A healthy Bynum is def. better than anyone on the Cavs but given his injury history his value is up in the air. I can't imagine any Laker fan would trade Mo Williams for either Bynum or Odom. I am not a huge fan of Artest but he did come up huge in critical games for the Lakers so it's hard to place him... and his defense, while overrated, is still very good.

Fisher is complete garbage and shouldn't be in any discussion of good players.

14. goodbug

You said you got the finals "wrong" like two days ago, although you root against Lakers in every series. Now you are denying it?

You are saying LeBron is better than Kobe because LeBron has better number. Now Jamison had better number than Gasol, why is he not a better player? And shaq for free?
    Collectively they contributed about twice the points and twice the rebounds. Oh man, you can't even come out with some consistent theory other than "I think".

15. clippy

clippy Member

I root against the Lakers in every series because I don't like them. But that doesn't mean I think they'll lose. I don't believe I even made a prediction on this board because I thought the teams were evenly matched and HCA was going to come up huge. I didn't think the Celtics would win a game 7 in LA so if they did win it would have had to be in 6.

I say Lebron is better than Kobe because I watch them both and Lebron has just done far more with less. You can't objectively compare two players on different teams because basketball is a team sport. However, when both Lebron and Kobe had crappy teams, Lebron did better. When they were on the same team (Olympics), Lebron did better. In all efficiency numbers, Lebron is much better.

One of the reasons Gasol is so good is he has length, which Jamison doesn't. This affects the game on both ends; it makes his efficiency off the charts (not so much for Jamison) and improves the defense (where Jamison is weak).

Shaq is basically immobile at this stage of his career. His numbers are dropping like a rock and I don't know if I'd even take him for free at this point. Maybe if he agreed to play <10m a game when needed against big guys.

Again, anyone who would trade last year's Jamison+Shaq for last year's Gasol doesn't know anything about basketball and only looks at the box scores.

16. goodbug

LOL, the only proof you have for LeBron over Kobe is looking at boxscore, and now you are trying to say boxscore doesn't matter when compare Gasol to Jamison + Shaq. Just because you believe so.

The game is about maximizing the use of your team talent. Shaq wouldn't be effective when he's just doing pick, how difficult to figure that out?

The game is about win it all with talents in playoff. Winning in regular season doesn't mean anything. LeBron quit in critical playoff game, simple as that.

17. clippy

clippy Member

God, your lack of reading comprehension is aggravating.

Look, I am a scout. I watch players. That is very different from your way of just looking at the Daily Beijing for edited box scores.

If you really think Shaq+Jamison > Gasol, see if you can find another person to agree with you.

The game is about winning in the playoffs, yes. But it's a team game. Kobe has always had a better team than Lebron, so you can't really compare them. The only time we can make a good comparison is when they are on equal teams, like in the Olympics, when Lebron was much, much better than Kobe.

Kobe has quit in critical playoff games too. See 2006, game 7 for an example. He wasn't awesome in the closeout games against Boston in 2008 or 2010 either.

18. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

This is not a surprise, facts are facts. MJ knows about winning and not making excuses. For those that say Kobe's team bailed him out, isn't that why they call a team, a team. It's all about winning and results, not excuses. Where would MJ be without Pippen, grant, cartwright, rodman and his supporting cast? Lebron is the the one that hitched his wagon to Wade and Bosh.

19. Steve_Francis_rules

A 20-14-8 game is nearly nonexistent? You have some standards.

20. Steve_Francis_rules

To say that Kobe struggled is putting it quite kindly. Need I remind you that Mark Jackson was pulling out the John Starks comparisons at the beginning of the fourth quarter?