1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MJ just has it in for Cleveland

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HOOP-T, Feb 1, 2002.

1. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

How many buzzer-beaters has he hit against Cleveland in his career(s)???

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news/ap/20020201/ap-nbardp.html

Jordan stings Cleveland with another last-second shot

February 1, 2002

Michael Jordan had a higher vertical leap, more hair and a different jersey the last time he made a game-winning shot in Cleveland.

Nevertheless, his most recent buzzer-beater against the Cavaliers looked strikingly similar to his last.

Jordan hit an 18-foot jumper as time expired Thursday night to give the Washington Wizards a 93-92 win over the Cavaliers.

Jordan victimized Cleveland throughout his career with the Chicago Bulls, and although he's wearing a No. 23 Washington jersey now, he still can't helping stinging the Cavaliers.

``Everybody in the place knew where the ball was going,'' Jordan said. ``I've had some big shots in Cleveland, and they keep going in.''

With 1.6 seconds left and Washington trailing 92-91, Jordan fought off a defensive switch and swished his jumper for the Wizards, who rallied from a 12-point deficit in the fourth quarter.

Jordan's game-winner was almost identical to the shot he hit in Game 5 over Craig Ehlo at Richfield Coliseum in 1989 to beat the Cavs and eliminate Cleveland from the playoffs. He also ended the '98 NBA Finals with a late game-winning shot.

``There was no doubt. I wasn't worried,'' Jordan said. ``There's only two things can happen, you make it or you miss it. I wanted a good look and I got one.''

Wizards coach Doug Collins, Jordan's coach in Chicago when he made ``The Shot'' in '89, ran onto the court to high-five Jordan as the pair relived a special memory.

``It wasn't exactly the same play, but it was the same result,'' Collins said. ``I liked the way the horn sounded both times.''

In other NBA games, it was New Jersey 125, Milwaukee 100; Toronto 97, Boston 92; Los Angeles Clippers 91, San Antonio 87; Dallas 95, Houston 91; Sacramento 99, Seattle 95; Portland 105, Phoenix 97.

Jordan finished with 26 points, and Chris Whitney had 20 for the Wizards, who rallied from 12 points down in the final 7:43.

Richard Hamilton, who missed 17 games with a groin injury, had 10 points for the Wizards.

Wesley Person scored 21 points, and Andre Miller had 15 points and 12 assists for the Cavs, who took a 92-91 lead with 1.6 seconds left on ChrisMihm's putback, setting up Jordan's heroics.