1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mitchell Wiggins finds closure

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Ranny

Ranny Member

What does all those "facts" (?) have to do with what i said? Reading comprehension sir, this is what i said:

- Drugs are Bad for both Athletes and regular people, nobody should do it, period.
    - If you are doing it then make sure you dont get caught.
    - If you are doing it you might not be smart enough or be capable to avoid getting caught.

It’s not a matter of whether it was the 60s, 70s, 80s, or today. You are implying that because it was the 80s and "everybody" was doing it, it was somehow normal and acceptable, really? would you go to court with that argument?. So let me make clear and point out a my REAL facts, 1) Drugs are bad, 2) You must not get caught 3) if you do drugs you might not have the capacity to avoid getting caught (you might constantly be under the influence which alters your reasoning, don’t you think?)

The fact is he screwed up and got caught so had to pay for it just like many other athletes in many other sports who did drugs recreationally or to enhance their abilities and had to pay for it not only in the 80s but in pretty much every decade that sports have been tested, and it is still happening today, the list is endless, Maradona, Manny Ramirez, Armstrong, Martina Hingis, Ben Johnson, Rashard Lewis, Phelps, Mats Wilander, I could go on and on and on and on…. I am not judging him or anybody who could be on that list as a person, a father a husband or a son, nor am I questioning their actual IQs, in fact although they might have questionable moral standards I am sure that some of them might be freaking geniuses, but as Forrest Gump said: “Stupid it is as Stupid does sir”, they did something stupid hence they were stupid at least for that brief period in time and had to pay for it, period.

Furthermore, I get where you are coming from with all the conspiracy theories about the league, media etc. wanting to favor certain teams over others, but that’s just what they are, theories. I am not saying you are wrong, I also feel that way to some degree, I am just saying they are unproven, and they are irrelevant for the fact that drug consumption is wrong and has no place in sports. In fact if you felt that way, and you were sure that you were not going to get the same treatment as others, don’t you think it would have been wiser not to do freaking drugs and not give them a reason to ban you? C’mon man!!

Bottom line in his particular case he was a Decent/good player and its a shame that his career got tarnished by his mistake, remember that we got royally screwed as well. I am happy for him that he can somehow find comfort and probably major success thru his talented son, very few people get these sort of opportunities, good for him.

And if you must know I was born in the 70s so yes I was around in the 80s…..

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This ain't the moral police knocking at your door.

This is the NBA cherry picking players to allow their top money makers to stay top. I'm happy he's made a full circle in his life, but let's not overlook how suspicious it looks that the Rockets were made examples of by the league after they made the finals.

http://cjonline.com/sports/2014-06-27/dads-hard-life-lessons-helped-andrew-wiggins-road-nba
    Fast Forward to the 90s. You don't think Dennis Rodman did anything when he was with Bulls?
    Where's the Michael Ray, Wiggins, Lloyd verdict on him?

3. Ranny

Ranny Member

Sure my friend, i totally agree that There is a case to be made about that and things were suspicious. That doesn't change the fact that he F**ed up, and its not only about morals, Lloyd and him set us back almost a decade, sure we can blame the NBA all you want for (maybe) protecting other teams, but this would have never happened if these guys would have been more professional.

The NBA as a whole is screwed in this regard. I obviously cannot be certain but i think that if the league would implement a serious drug testing program we would see a lot, A LOOOOOOT, of drug abuse cases

4. tinman

Supporting Member

Just because you did drugs doesn't make you a bad person, it's just unhealthy.

I don't judge you Mitch Wiggins, thank you for the 80s. I look forward to the day your son comes to the Rockets and finishes the job you had started.

5. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Mitchell Wiggins was a lock down defender when he was on drugs.

6. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Someone is a huge square :p Personally I don't partake in drugs and really wouldn't be that affected if prohibition comes back but also thinks... to each their own.

7. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

word is that pat riley had a lot to do behind the scenes with the whole situation

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Cocaine feels great, the problem with it is that after the 20 minute buzz you really really want to feel that great again and the cycle is tough to get out of. You either have to endure the downside of it being over, die or end up blowing dudes for money to keep it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#28 Dubious, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  9. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

This is uncalled for. Low rent statement.

I am so surprised at how easily some posters say terrible and nasty things about people they don't even know.

10. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Before it all came out we used to just marvel at the speed, defensive pressure and sheer joy of watching that Rockets team just explode.

And then it did.

White Lighting

11. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Cocaine only stays in your system for 40-72 hours so someone had to snitch for the league to even have a clue they were using. I have heard a story before that Wiggins said that was the only time he had ever done coke in his life was that night. There are things about the story have always seemed strange I just wonder if the conspiracy theories are correct about the Celtics and Lakers being threatened by the Rockets young squad.

12. Ranny

Ranny Member

C'mon man, its not that. I have done my fair share of "mistakes" too, luckily for me i didn't have that uncontrollable need to continue indefinitely as some people unfortunately do. This is different, these guys are professional athletes they get paid ridiculous amounts of money to be in top notch conditions and yet some of then decide to throw all of their hard work and talent away for alcohol, weed, blow or worse, and not only destroy themselves but hurt bystanders like family, friends, co-workers and/or institutions. In these guys cases they hurt the Rockets

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Sorry Ned Flanders, that's not how it is in the real world.
    Especially in the 80s. Didn't you watch Miami Vice?

14. Ranny

Ranny Member

LOL are u serious?

15. tinman

Supporting Member

your argument is beyond simplistic, he should have not done drugs in the first place, well he shouldn't jump in a swimming pool with no water too.

you absolutely fail to see the big picture. the athlete doing cocaine is not the story here. but if you want to keep preaching 'don't do drugs' that's fine, maybe it'll help someone here quit, but that's not the mitchell wiggins houston rockets story.

notice how others are actually filling in the story with other facts instead of your ned flanders ranting about drugs

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Thank you for actually contributing to the story of Mitchell Wiggins and not turning into an after school special on PBS for middle school kids.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Besides closure he will likely find tinman

18. tinman

Supporting Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/fans/rockets_team__the_80s_2012_02_01.html
    [​IMG]

Best 80s season with Rockets (1989-90): 15.5 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.3 spg

Wiggins was a key cog off the Rockets' bench during the team's run to the 1986 NBA Finals, but his best season as a pro actually occurred a few years later. Given a chance in his fifth NBA season to man Houston's shooting guard position as a starter, Wiggins delivered solid numbers, posting career highs in scoring (15.5 ppg in just 28 minutes per game), rebounding and free throw percentage (.810).

19. Ranny

Ranny Member

Well you sir are proving to be a very mentally challenged person and will not waste my time with you anymore after this last post.

Not only are you justifying Wiggins mistakes with the ridiculous "it was the 80's" or "it was a conspiracy" arguments but are also trying to disregard and demeanor mine by attacking me personally and calling me names, very mature.

Athletes shouldn't do drugs, period. There is no valid argument you can make to justify them doing so, so you resort to call me Flanders? go ahead, you are arguing Homer style. Luckily for all of us, including yourself, as far as we know Olajuwon didn't feel the need to put in jeopardy his and the Rockets future by doing some lines because "it was the 80s", hey if you ever get to meet Ralph Sampson ask him how he feels about this subject? he might have something to say, after all it was his contending team that was disbanded because of this "innocent" mistake....

20. tinman

Supporting Member

Flanders,

How about people shouldn't do drugs, period
    or aliens shouldn't do drugs
    or your dog shouldn't do drugs

This is not Requiem for a Dream
    This is about Mitchell Wiggins, who played with Dream