1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mitch Hedberg dead?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DanHiggsBeard, Mar 31, 2005.

1. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

ugh. Word was spreading on the internet, then Stern went and mentioned it on his show this morning.

I'm pretty bummed..he was my favorite comedian, and Houston was the city he was probably biggest in.

All his fans knew he had his dependency problems, so maybe that's what caused it.

Nothing on his website yet.

2. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

god, I hope not...

this story is from just the other day...

3. rockHEAD

so far no official word, other message boards are saying 'april fools joke' - I'm not sure... no info on Google news or other news sites.

4. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I hope not. I get really mad when potential stars die before they shine.

5. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

"The thing about tennis is, no matter how much you play, you'll never be as good as a wall. I played a wall, once. They're [bleeping] relentless."

6. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

God I hope not. I'm glad I got to see him live once.

7. morningcrew

morningcrew Contributing Member

unfortunately the news is true according to people at the Improv here in Houston

8. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

That blows. Another good one down.:mad:

9. Oski2005

Apparently he od'd in a hotel room in New Jersey.

10. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

any links?

man this sucks...i love mitch hedberg

11. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

12. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

there's apparently something up about it now on Howard Stern's site, but I can't access it at work.

13. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just heard this on the radio here in Austin. They didn't know if it was true either. I hope it isn't. He is one of my favorite comics.

14. Oski2005

Howard Stern has a mention of it on his website. I said "apparently" because I can't find any official news site confirmation.

"Mitch Hedberg - Farewell to a Friend
    The Howard Stern Show is saddened to learn that legendary comedian Mitch Hedberg has passed away. Mitch was just on the show two weeks ago..."

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The only thing I've found online (other than Stern's site) is that it's from a heroin overdose, but that's unsubstantiated.

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Terrible news if it is true. My favorite comedian...

17. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Great comic. Better guy.

+

18. Souprocket

Souprocket Contributing Member

This has got to be a joke, a sick joke, but a joke.
    Consider the source and that no other news agencies are carrying it.

19. rockHEAD

Another Brother, being a comedien, can you confirm this story?

20. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

http://www.comedycentral.com/standup/central/detail.jhtml?p=/comedians/h/mitch_hedberg.xml

Tragically, Mitch Hedberg passed away this week. Mitch was a beloved member of the Comedy Central family, and we join fans in our sadness. He will be missed.

Born and raised in the St. Paul area, Mitch Hedberg decided to start his own comedy career in South Florida. Not so much for the comedy scene, but for the sun. His landlord would drive him up and down the coast from club to club in his pick-up truck where Mitch would lie down in the back to avoid any of the negative conversations his landlord would try to have with him.

Mitch developed his style in Florida and decided to try it out on different audiences. He moved to Seattle and toured throughout the Pacific Northwest honing his act in front of the new audiences. While in Los Angeles, Mitch booked his first television appearance on MTV's "Comikaze" by walking into the MTV offices and personally pitching himself to the talent coordinator. Many cable shows followed including A&E's "Comedy on the Road", Comedy Central's "Comedy Product", and NBC's "Comedy Showcase" hosted by Louie Anderson.

In 1996, Mitch got his break with an invitation to perform at the prestigious Just for Laughs Montreal International Comedy Festival. His performances secured him a deal with a studio and a spot on "The Late Show with David Letterman." Letterman enjoyed the set so much that he actually quoted one of Mitch's bits later in the show.

With the money from his development deal, Mitch wrote, directed and stars in his own independent feature called "Los Enchiladas!" which premiered at Sundance. His film is a comedy about a drifter who gets a job at a Mexican chain restaurant in middle America, the relationships between the restaurant employees, and the deterioration of the business' hierarchy over a 24-hour period. While editing the film in Seattle, Mitch entered the 1997 Seattle Comedy Competition and won the grand prize of three thousand dollars. He immediately handed the check over to his editor and finished the film.

On February 5, 1999 Mitch made his fifth appearance on "The Late Night Show with David Letterman." Last July he was invited to return to the comedy festival "Just for Laughs" where he stole the attention of the industry, audiences, and press alike. His stand-out performances secured a development deal with FOX to create his own sitcom and prompted TIME magazine to include him as one of the next generation of comedy stars and The Hollywood Reporter to headline their review of the Festival, "Laughs are Loudest for Hedberg." Mitch also recently completed a reality show pilot for MTV.

Mitch passed away in March, 2005.

:(