1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Missoure: Driving While Black

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

OK sorry, I thought you were referring to the original story posted by Rocket River. I looked at the story posted by Lil Pun, and yes, that looks really bad.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yeah because I'm sure if you pull over us negros at a high rate you're bound to catch one of us raping somebody.

3. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

are they 70% to 1700% more likely to commit the crimes?

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

No, it's just completely, utterly meaningless. A white or black policeman pulls me over, asks some questions or runs my license through a database. We tell each other to have a nice day, then everyone gets on with life.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Do you feel the same way about the Law in Arizona against the immigrants?

Rocket River

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If you mean catch someone with an APB, outstanding warrant, jumped bail or violated probation for rape, murder, robbery or even narcotics than the answer is yes.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I dunno, do you feel the same way about chicken fried steak as you do about gas turbines?

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just in case it isn't clear from the articles, the city in question, Ladue, is pretty much St. Louis. The closest thing I can think of is probably half way between West U and River Oaks. The city of St. Louis was basically squeezed to keep from growing around 1900, and so all growth to metro St. Louis is in these small enclave cities around St. Louis.

It also is reasonably near some very poor, very black areas as well. My guess is that among the rich whites, there is a sense of being 'under siege' by the poor people all around them. In my experience, many larger Midwestern cities are very segregated, and St. Louis is no exception.

Not sure if it matters or how, but I thought it might be relevant.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

so . . by this I can assume
    According to Pouhe

Hassling innocent Black Americans - OK!
    Hassling innocent Mexican American and illegals - not OK!

just want to be sure . . . .cause i know it is the LEAST YOU CAN DO

Rocket River

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So Chase Budinger will be hassled in Missouri if he travels there?

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The LAW in Arizona requires people to provide documentation of legal status in several non-driving contexts under risk of detenion under suspicion of alien status. Therefore, a citizen or legal resident with an accent of any kind could be approached by an officer in a broader range of circumstances and be detained for simply not having an ID, social security card or some other proof of residence on their person. Worse still that a person could be a legal resident or citizen and not have ever had a license or other ID made to show the officer. It creates an additional legal requirement for a specific social subset (people with accents) with a specific legal penalty.

A police officer pulling over blacks and whites does not create the same legal burden.