1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Missoure: Driving While Black

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Also . . . Water is Wet
    All those poor paranoid black folx in Missouri . . . . .
    when they were saying they were being profiled . . . .
    No one believed them . . . and some still don't

Rocket River

Driving While Black: Attorney General's report says black drivers more likely to be pulled over than whites

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=203255&catid=3

KSDK -- It's called DWB or "driving while black." Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster released the 10th annual report on vehicle stops. It shows African-American drivers are stopped at increasingly higher rates than white or Hispanic drivers.

Click here to read the report

Koster insists the disparity does not mean police departments are racially profiling drivers, but adds the data raises serious red flags that city leaders and citizens should question.

"In the state of Missouri, if you are African-American you are 70 percent more likely to be pulled over than if you are Caucasian," Koster said. "In the city of Ladue, you are 1,700 percent more likely to be pulled over than if you were Caucasian."

Koster's office examined 1.7 million stops by 642 law enforcement agencies in 2009. Ten years ago, African- Americans were 30 percent more likely to get pulled over than whites. Koster noted the sharp increase over the past decade to 70 percent.

In terms of mid to large police departments, Ladue showed the greatest disparity.

"The Ladue data is concerning. It would be appropriate for Ladue officials to conduct a review as is required by the statute," Koster said.

Officials in the city of Ladue issued a statement Tuesday, saying in part, "The City of Ladue does not racially profile and any suggestion to the contrary is highly unfair to the professional police officers of our city...The City of Ladue has consistently pointed out to this attorney general and his predecessor that any statistical analysis of traffic stops that is based solely on Ladue's population and does not consider the racial makeup of the drivers who pass through Ladue is contrary to the science of statistical analysis."

"What I am opposed to is the way the disparity index is being figured," said Ladue Police Chief Rich Wooten. "Since the inception of the report, there has been no consensus or agreement how to figure the disparity index."

Chief Wooten's predecessor, Larry White, is suing Ladue for allegedly firing him when he refused to crack down on black drivers.

"They don't want those people in the City of Ladue," said Chet Pleban, White's attorney. "So they want to send a message and the message is if you travel through Ladue to North County via 170 or are going to the city via I-64, we want to make sure you don't come back here.

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

Whoa whoa whoa, wait up. You're telling me water is wet? I'm gonna need more solid evidence.

3. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Next ---------"Driving being "Brown" , Hispanic r Desi "

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Is Missoure the French portion of Missouri?

DD

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

6. Steve_Francis_rules

I can't believe this is still going on. Rush promised me that Obama would have turned this country into a black man's paradise by now!

7. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Has there been a study to see if Blacks are worse drivers than whites?

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't doubt that there is prejudice, but just wondering, could it also be that black people have older cars on average (and that older cars get pulled over more often)?

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Misery!!

Rocket River

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you live in Missouri its pronounced Miz-oo-ruh.

BTW, SE Missouri is also the birthplace of Rush Limbaugh. Cape Gerardeau or St. Genevieve, IIRC and he is a true native son.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It's possible some people just don't care. If you don't speed frequently in front of cops or have any warrants, have halfway decent manners or just don't drive by this specific town in Missouri, there's really nothing to talk about.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It is the least we can do . . . .right?

Rocket River

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

No, the least we could do is not rape, kill or steal at rates higher than any other ethnic group. Bored white people compile statistics on that, too.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I've never any of those .. but in your eye . .. i deserve to be treated like I have.
    I completely understand you now . . . .
    cause
    it is the LEAST you can do . . .

Rocket River

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

This victim's logic implies that cops only pull people over who they believe have committed crimes. It also ignores that whites also get pulled over by cops.

17. Steve_Francis_rules

So it's the fault of the black people who are being pulled over by cops without committing a crime because they had the nerve to be black and drive through the town?

18. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Does the report say the people being pulled over did not commit a crime?

19. Steve_Francis_rules

That's what I inferred from Lil Pun's link. At the very least, they are intentionally not pulling over white people who are committing crimes. There is no way in hell I will believe that blacks in this town are 1700 percent more likely to deserve to be pulled over.

20. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

You know it's funny, last weekend I was in Little Rock for my niece's birthday and me and my misses were at Shotgun Dan's and I said to her "I wonder if MadMax is here?" because I remember you and I both agreeing that is is a damn good pizza place. We'll definitely have to do that sometime.