1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mission Critical: Losing Every Game Left

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Putting the jokes of <a href="http://www.clutchfans.net/nbadraft/lottery">Lottery Race 2006</a> aside for a minute, I have to say it is mission critical that the Rockets lose out from here.

The more I study the NBA Draft the more I think the top level of players is 8-deep here. Yes, it is way early to say that ... many of these players haven't declared yet and a lot will change (stocks up/down, surprises, unexpected entrants/pullouts) between now and June. But I'm seeing, in no particular order:

Brandon Roy
    Joakim Noah
    Rudy Gay
    Adam Morrison
    Tyrus Thomas
    LaMarcus Aldridge
    Andrea Bargnani
    (and possibly) Rodney Carney

I have these 8 on my list because they are either great picks for the Rockets, or almost-sure bets to go in the top 8 (before the Rockets). There are some interesting players outside of these 8, but I think it's a dropoff after this list.

The Rockets are the 11th worst team in the league, and are one-game behind a 3-way tie for the 8th spot between Seattle, Minnesota and Boston. One game is the difference between 3 spots in the draft at it's most critical talent dropoff. Every loss is important at this stage.

The lottery is less than 7 weeks away. The draft is a month after that. I've already seen Yao can dominate ... there is no need to show me that in the final 8. T-Mac will be (hopefully) back next year - the focus needs to be on getting the best player possible to play alongside these guys.

Now if you beat Portland tonight, I can let that go ... that's a daunting task to lose to those guys. But for the love of all that is holy, don't go in to California and knock off the Warriors. There is no forgiveness for that.

Steve Francis is getting it done for our second round pick, so let's do it for our first rounder. 2 weeks of hideous basketball is all I ask and I've already seen that they're fully capable. It's the right thing to do for the franchise. 8 losses = 8 seed (if not 7th or 6th).

This isn't a tank-or-win thread... the correct course clearly has already been decided. The pride/chemistry argument has no merit either... by the time this team is ready for championship basketball, over half of these guys (easily) will not be on the roster. There will be a new GM, and quite possibly a new coach/staff by then too. So, if for any reason you're still thinking about winning or the postseason, here you go:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kc2pAtAA85I

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I was against you in 2002, but I'm with you now.

Brandon Roy would be absolutely perfect for this team.

3. Amel

Amel Member

MISSION: JUST TANK IT!

4. michecon

michecon Member

Yeah, I thought JVG finally got on Clutch's program last night when he tried his small-ball early in the first quater. As it turns out? It was just JVG being JVG.

5. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Member

2006-07 Rockets

Yao
    Swift
    Tmac
    Adam Morrison
    Rafer

6. DeAleck

DeAleck Member

If we don't get Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge, we need to get Corey Brewer. The dude has length, athleticism, defensive tenacity and the shooting we badly need.

#6 DeAleck, Apr 5, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  7. rocketsmetalspd

Eight deep. Well, I hope you are right about the players being out there. I am in agreement the Rockets can make it happen. Yao should only play 25 minutes in all the games coming up. :)

8. m_cable

m_cable Member

Did you see my bump of the Lottery or Pride thread. Tank or not, I'm pretty convinced that we're in for a tailspin to end the season. Probably 1-2 wins tops from here on out. We're on the road for 4 more games, and it looked like the team gave up in Seattle.

This Portland game is the Rockets best chance to win a game for the rest of the year. We should win this one since Portland gave up long before we did. But if somehow we can't put the Blazers away then it's time to brace for an 0 for April and the 5th or 6th worst record in the league.

My guess is that we'll go 2-6 and end up with the 7th or 8th worst record in the league.

9. rocketsmetalspd

Question to all, Who will the Rockets send to represent the team for the Lottery?? Yao, T-Mac, JVG, CD, Bowen, or Sura. I would like to see YAO.

10. barbourdg

barbourdg Member

Clutch, I think Sheldon Williams deserves to be on your list as well :rolleyes:

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Mike James.

12. michecon

michecon Member

Tmac or Morey.

13. Amel

Amel Member

it would be great if Yao plays with them balls

14. m_cable

m_cable Member

Can we borrow Steve and his lucky suit for this one?

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

Yeah, we're out of it.

The big questions are:

1. Is there a rookie in this draft that Van Gundy is going to make a starter at the 2 or 4 spot and play significant minutes?

Sorry, just don't see it happening. And we need a starter at each of those positions. If I was coaching, and I could get my hands on Noah, I'd stick him in the starting unit and forget about it. But, sorry, can't see Van Gundy doing it...........with anybody. We've got to turn that pick into a starter, someway, somehow. I don't care if it's the #1 pick or the #14 pick, we've got to get starter production and minutes from the pick.

2. So, if Van Gundy isn't going to start the draft pick, what kind of trade can we get for it?

This is the biggest reason I don't want to even be in the lottery, much less tempted by getting a top pick. Combined with the fact that this is the thinnest lottery in the last 20 years.

Hopefully, we can at least turn the pick into a Maggette or Mo Pete type player.

16. baller4life315

There are five teams in 32-29 win range along with us.

Houston 32 42 .432 28
    Boston 31 43 .419 29
    Minnesota 31 43 .419 29
    Seattle 31 43 .419 29
    Golden State 30 43 .411 29 ½
    Orlando 29 44 .397 30 ½

Toronto 26 48 .351 34
    Atlanta 22 51 .301 37 ½
    Charlotte 21 54 .280 39 ½
    Portland 20 53 .274 39 ½
    New York 19 54 .260 40 ½

That's five teams we should be aiming to "making ground" on by losing here on out. Every game counts and could possibly end up being the difference in picking in 6-8 and 10-12 ranges.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

don't mean to derail, but morey was on the morning show yesterday on 610 and that dude was not impressive. I meant to start a thread, but I got busy, and now I've forgotten some of the things that bothered me. one though was he said bill james was the michael jordan of statistical analysis. the guy was straight up revenge of the nerds. carry on.

18. durvasa

durvasa Member

Morrison would be a hideous pick for us (honestly, how in the world could he AND T-Mac start for the Rockets?), but Seattle or Portland will probably grab him before it's our turn to choose.

Big holes at PF and SG, obviously, but I think SG is more urgent. We aren't going anywhere next year if we're going to rely on Wesley/Bogans/Head for our SG.

Brandon Roy would be the ideal pickup for us, I think. That probably won't happen, unless we really do lose all the rest of our games.

After Roy, maybe Ronnie Brewer (though his low FG% the past season is cause for concern).

19. durvasa

durvasa Member

Other than sounding like a nerd, what wasn't impressive about him?

I wonder what his opinion would be on "tanking" to position for the best draft pick. It seems to me like he'd endorse that strategy.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

he just didn't seem to have a lot of knowledge of the game, or more importantly he didn't seem to have a passion for the game. all he talked about was statistical analysis. but that may have been on the hosts more than him.

he also was talking about his time in boston and he said danny ainge was a proven winner. now I know he isn't going to say anything bad about ainge, but something about that bothered me also.