1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Missing U: Patrick Patterson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. I think the Robinson-Patterson trade is a reasonable bet by the Rockets in the mathematical sense-- the overall expected value of the transaction, when you consider all factors, is greater than what we gave up. A somewhat overly simplistic comparison to this would be betting $1 for a 35% chance of getting $3 and a 65% chance of getting $0. Chances are fairly big that you'll lose the bet but the payoff is worth the price you paid if you look at what it may do for the team in the upcoming years.

2. In the medium term-- i.e., the remainder if the season-- it may not even hurt the team's ability to make the playoffs if Motiejunas keeps up his competence, the small ball lineup works well in larger minutes. In fact, more small ball may cause the team to win more games given the effectiveness of the Parsons-Delfino front line so far.

3. In the very short run-- i.e., the Washington game-- trading away both Morris and Patterson certainly hurt the team, if for no reason other than the # of minutes that regulars are forced to play in their absence in 3 games in 4 nights. It would also have been useful to have Pat's bigger body out there to defend bigs as well as his great jumper stroke when the 3s were taken away by WAS's 2nd half adjustments.

4. The one challenge posed by the trade for this season is really a lack of insurance for injuries. There are now more ways in which a rotation player's injury can hurt the team badly.

#41 Carl Herrera, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

that is a reasonable outlook on things

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I hope like hell that trade doesnt fall through. Patterson, do not want.

4. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

[​IMG]

5. Normalus

Normalus Member

- "Missing U PPat" thread
    *PPat opens the thread suddently*
    - "No we don't"

facepalm

6. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Dmo didn't flop because Okafor hooked Dmo to score also. It was so open and obvious I don't know why they didn't call that call.

7. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

They could have used Jones to match up with Okafor defensively. At 6'10, 252, he could have handled Okafor in the paint.

8. conquistador#11

yawl a bunch of mchale haters!!! Delfino on el nene was brilliant, reminded me of that time harden was guarding durant one on one because he volunteered to do so. stop hating on mchale yawl!

=/

eventually we will learn delfino on a true PF is not a good idea, hope it's not too late though.

9. koopa

koopa Member

it was a great trade though. He's an average PF and he requires surgery in the future. And he's getting into his contract year too and he's not worth re-signing.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Pat's gone
    DMo is better
    Time to move on

BTW, there is a very good chance that Houston finishes the game last night with both Parsons and Delfino in the game with Pat on the bench, even if Pat were still on the team. End result could have been the same.

11. PeppermintCandy

IMO Patterson is going to mesh well with Demarcus Cousins on the Kings, as they did back when they were college teammates. I'd have to think that was a small factor in Sacramento's decision to trade for him.

12. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

You can add me to the group that misses Ppat. Just absolutely loved his jump shot. Still, I guess I understand the business side of it. Ppat would not have been happy if DMo took the starting spot (which I predict would have happened), and he would not have accepted backup money when he was a free agent after next year. So, it's a tough move to make, but I guess it's the right one. I'm not impressed by the posters who claim Ppat was a scrub though. Would have been so nice if we could have kept Ppat as a rotation player at backup money, but that was just a pipe dream I guess.....

13. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

We lost to Sacremento with Patterson, and who's to say we win against OKC and Brooklyn with him.

If Patterson is there, maybe the Wizards go to some else. They shot 64% in the second half. We couldn't stop anyone. Maybe Patterson helps, but we've played a lot of bad defense with him.

14. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Honestly, I liked the guy as a person. Great Guy. But...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k9e157Ner90" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Was thinking the exact same thing last night. Wish PPat all the best and that his new team and fans will appreciate his game.

16. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Yep I cried watching this. Thank you for reminding me what's truly important.

17. Dentyne

Dentyne Member

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

It was one game while we were short-handed. If Greg Smith hadn't gone down with an injury, assuming McHale had enough common sense to put him on Okafor through the last quarter, things would have been different. I hope Robinson develops and becomes an indispensable part of our team. We would have lost Pat after next year anyway.

19. passos

passos Member

Rockets played very well with this short lineup, yeah, we lose to the poor Wizards, but was a back to back.

And we just beat the Thunder and the Nets without Mr.4 rebounds

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

So are you for the trade or against it? I don't quite understand.