1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Miscalculated Lobs to Dwight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Truth, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Truth

Truth Member

Maybe I'm jumping the gun this early in the season, but over the course of the first 4 games I've noticed that the Rockets have NO IDEA how or when to throw it up for Dwight what should be easy alley-oops. Naturally, most will say "give it time", but to me it should be fairly routine with someone with Dwight's capabilities. It seems as if the Rockets would prefer to throw bounce passes in traffic rather than to just throw it up to someone who has shown that he can easily dunk on a 12 foot basket. It's mind-boggling and frustrating to see. Maybe it will take Dwight to speak up, or McHale to dedicate practice time to it'. These plays should easy points but end up as turnovers. Hope to see this fixed soon.

2. Play07

Play07 Member

if you expected to see a (magic) howard get griffen/jordan type lobs in houston well i got news for you its not going to happen !! those players go up and get everything high or low balls they dont have to practice it.

3. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

if you watch closely you will see dwight telling them to lob it up...

the team got used to playing with asik so much that they are not used to giving lobs anymore...

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

5. torocan

torocan Member

Honestly I think it's more a rhythm and familiarity thing in terms of alley oops.

Harden and Lin throw oops to Chandler, Smith and TJones all the time. Last year they threw them to PPat and Morris. And the previous year Lin threw tons of oops to Chandler.

Right now they're not on the same page in terms of communicating and timing the lobs. They're either coming too high (early or late), or too low (trying to compensate for poor timing of the lob).

That should improve over time as they become more familiar with each other in terms of signalling when they're going to make their moves to the baskets and lob the ball.

On the list of concerns, syncing up the timing of a lob pass is fairly low. That will work itself out eventually.

6. Truth

Truth Member

I'm not comparing Dwight to Griffin/Jordan... I'm just speaking on all the missed opportunities that I've witnessed over the course of the first 4 games. Howard can get up just as high as both Griffin and Jordan, it's more about the lobs and WHEN to do it.

7. bmd

bmd Member

They'll get it the more they play. They really haven't played with a player like Dwight before.

They had trouble doing something as simple as throwing the post entry pass.

They'll get it.

8. Play07

Play07 Member

the excuses keep on coming for a 22mill year, come on houston

like I said before I waited in the 100degree heat this summer waiting on howard to show up outside after signing that contract, and im still waiting for that guy to show up on the court. im giving him until game 10 but im getting impatient

9. RoxDC

RoxDC Member

I think it was mentioned in the broadcast, but there seems to be a lot of lobs directly at Dwight rather than directing the lobs toward the basket (aka where Dwight will be).

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

They shouldn't have tried them that much against the Clips because they have some high flyers themselves.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

It's only the fourth game and guys like Parsons have never played with an athlete like Dwight (although Lin and Harden have). They will learn.

12. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

and what are you going to do about it? lol

whether you like it or not, we have dwight for 3 more years for better or worse...

13. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

Dude, the sky is not falling. It will be okay...The 2010-2011 Miami Heat started slow after adding Lebron and Bosh (9-8 through the first 17 games) and made it to the Finals.

When new players are added to rosters, there is a period of time where they have to learn how to play with one another. Most refer to this as "Team Chemistry," which usually takes some time. Consider yourself educated....

You're Welcome!

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah we have no clue how to get him the ball. Really frustrating to watch. Eventually I hope for the team to "get it" like the Magic team did towards the end of his tenure there. I mean they were ooping it to Dwight for game winners and such, really comfortable. I feel like there's no way anyone on our team would be ballsy enough to try that.

15. jbasket

jbasket Member

It is a give it time approach. Also, the Clips missed some lobs too: it happens. This game was just bad across the board for a lot of things. The Rockets have thrown successful lobs in the previous games as well. Not a concern.

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/u0nXF9ZTEr4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is what I'm talking about.. start at around 4:05. Key possession of the game and Nelson just lobs it up. He just knows where he is, our players haven't reached that level yet.

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

They are just looking for an excuse to say "alley whoops" ;)

1 person likes this.
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I knew there would be overreactions to a few games, but even I'm surprised at the quantity.

Team is learning how to play with each other, this takes months not games, for god's sake chill.

19. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

His post moves look faster in that vid...and I also think our spacing is terrible when he's in the post..and Lin is the guy that always miss oppurtunities because he dribbles around the basket and have two oppurtunities to throw the lob but instead he just picks the ball and u gets trapped. It's very frustrating for a pg to keep picking up his dribble without knowing where he's going with the ****ing ball. And I have no idea why this team don't run more harden/dwight pick and roll. I see too much asik pick and roll with harden when dwight is on the floor also. "ASIK is not a threat to score!". Put the defense in a pick your poison situation with your two best players in a pick and roll. Our coaching isn't very good man it seems.idk

20. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member