1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Minute Maid is GREAT, but could've been so much Better

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Houstunna, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe.... my teams don't win enough. And city is usually underappreciated in any convo I have outside the area.

Houstun is big, but all surrounding towns are included in its metro.... Galveston, Willis, Brookshire, everywhere.

I'm not saying it needs to fold into a small piece... just roll back a little more.

It's improved.... with many smaller buidings.

#21 Houstunna, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why don't you start spelling "HOUSTON" correctly... and then complain about how under-appreciated it is.

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Yo Nick, are you suggesting MMP is perfect?!?!? OP is right, it's "GREAT, but could've been so much Better"

They didn't consult me but here is my wishlist from most important to least important.

1. We have the worst outfield shape and heights. Way too many inconsistencies. Crawford Boxes should have been the ENTIRE Left Field and slightly deeper and higher. You should never have a portion of in play field not visible from every seat!!! That left-center well between the visiting pens and scoreboard is atrocious. Doing this would also have eliminated those awful columns that create weird pits in Left Center.

2. CF depth and hill is too gimicky. New owners agree which is why they are ripping it out.

3. Right-Center to Right Field wall is too short. Makes HR wall catches look awkward. Should be at least 1-2 ft higher.

4. Really wish the entirety of Union Station was visible in the outfield. It would have meant pushing MMP out toward Texas Ave. and maybe even on top of Texas Ave. but man it would have been amazing!!! Could have compensated for road loss by keeping Preston and widening Crawford and Congress.

5. Doing #4 means that you could have MMP closer to Crawford giving it that Wrigley feel with hotels/condos across the street.

6. Train is pointing and going the wrong direction!!! Also, should have continued the track at CF going toward RF. Train going right under the scoreboard/video screen.

7. I know it's tradition but I HATE that the sun faces our dugout.

8. I wish LF line was more like RF line. I don't like the LF line sharp jut-out, causes tons of problems for both teams. Wish it was more of a curve like RF line.

4. conquistador#11

what about a mini field of blue bonnets where tal's hill is. give it that texas flavor.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I definitely agree on both of these, at least in part. I love the uniqueness of the design, but that corner is overly awkward and I wish the train was reversed (which seems like a relatively easy change).

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I said it isn't perfect... but they did it right.

And I was talking more about the aesthetic quality of the exterior appearance, the roof functionality (with large window), and inner amenities.

As far as playing dimensions/wall heights, and the gimmicky aspects... I wasn't really commenting too much on all of those, because mostly all of those are adjustable (and have been adjusted somewhat over the years).

Was mainly referring to the OP's delusion that they purposely built MMP in order to not face downtown... not the case at all.

As far as specifics to the dimension talk... keep in mind that they were moving from the original of all cookie-cutter ballparks, in a place that it was hard as hell to hit HR's in. They vastly overcompensated by making a pseudo-carinal like atmosphere, without knowing the intended (or unintended) consequences.

They also overly tried to include elements of past ballparks and other facets: the LF jut out is a homage to Fenway, the brick facade behind home plate is a homage to wrigley, the hill dates back to Cincy, and the Union Station/train motif is what it is.

Some of it worked (train on the wall, albeit useless, is still unique... wish they had carts with seats on them... would be an awesome place to watch a game), some of it didn't (visitor bullpen stashed in the LCF wall, had to raise the fences after the disaster 2000).

So no, the inner workings are far from perfect... but then again, it has evolved into a somewhat fair park that pitchers can not only survive there... they can be downright elite (something that was thought of as impossible after 2000). Its also why I hate changing the dimensions now when they get rid of the hill... the park will only get more hitter friendly from there on out. (they can keep the dimension and still get rid of the hill... the reason to move in the fence is for them to put more money making amenities in the extra space).

7. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Would have been nice to have a space/nasa theme instead of "the land we bought used to be a train station, so we are now a train-based organization."

Junction Jack was the worst.

8. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Just spent a week discussing this with a co-worker recently. Junction Jack WAS the worst and Orbit isn't much better.

Bring back ASTRODILLO!!!!!!

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Likely wasn't built farther south due to G R Brown's proximity. But yeah, two blocks more south would've put Union where CF currently is. Two blocks south would've put Texas' tallest building (world's tallest 5-sided building) in easier view as well.

[​IMG]

10. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Wait...so you don't like the aquarium???

But I agree about Marlins stadium. That "contemporary vibe" will not pass the test of time. Horrible stadium that makes me appreciate MMP much more.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Since our AWESOME uniforms look so much like the original uniforms (not to mention the Colt 45's), we should bring back the space theme.

[​IMG]

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I just can't complain about MMP. Just a great place to watch a game.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly, I have been to every MLB stadium other than 1-2, and MMP is one of the 5 best.... in a group that includes Wrigley, AT&T Park, Dodger Stadium and PNC Park.

Also, the hill in center field is removed because Crain will make more money.

14. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Just replace the train with a replica of the space shuttle. It can still ride on the track for homeruns. Problem solved

15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Getting way too detailed with the dislikes. lol. No stadium is perfect, I agree I wish the view was diff etc but MMP is my favorite Houston stadium. Great atmosphere, great baseball feel. I've been to a lot of other cities & I feel it's top 3.

On a side note...

Favorite seats at MMP?

16. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I have been saying this every since they changed the look to pay respect to the original concept of the team name and colors.It would make more sense.

17. Buck Turgidson

If they had only put the BUS facing east smack dab in the middle of Memorial Park, it would have the best skyline + water view outside of Pittsburgh.

Unless you count the torrents of urine and spilled beer flowing down the bleachers at Wrigley, that puts most bayous to shame.