1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Minute Allocation Discussion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by awc713, Dec 30, 2014.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

I get that McHale is tinkering and trying to fit new toys together, but I can't pinpoint the rationale behind his minute allocation. Is he just trying to create chemistry with what will ultimately be our playoff rotation? Is it match-ups? Letting players get to 100%? Is it based on play in practice that fans can't see?

It seems to me that Bev and Terry could be more effective if we lower their minute totals, allowing Canaan to get some PT. Does McHale simply have something against playing 3rd-string PGs (re: Brooks last year)?

Aside from CF's standard "McHale Blows" mantra, I wanted to open this discussion to find any other rationales for McHale's minute allocation/ substitution methods. The minute allocations seem questionable:

ATL: Bev (41M, -12), Terry (22M, -8), Johnson (9M, +5), Canaan (0M), Pap (17M, +1)

POR: Bev (30M), Terry (14M), Schved (11M), Canaan/Pap (4M--blowout),

MEM: Bev (35M, 5-12FG, +6), Terry (19M, 3-6FG, -2), Schved (7M, -2) Canaan/Pap (0M), Dorsey (10M)

SAS (on a back to back): Bev (32M, 2-10FG, -7), Terry (17M, 0-4FG, +6), Canaan/Pap (0M)

WAS: Bev(29M, 4-8FG, -21), Terry (19M, +20) Dorsey (19M, +23) Canaan/Pap (0M)

Maybe this is too small of a sample size, but Canaan not getting PT deserves a discussion at least.

2. elainas

elainas Member

When TJ back with player min he will get? assume we are looking +20min. Is it possible he will be try at 3?
    Dam our bench DMo, TJ, Papa, Brew & Jet assume could easily compete in East, thougths?

3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I would say yes, to all of that. You nailed it.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

According to McHale, Canaan has not recovered well from injury and his defense still needs work.

5. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

mchale doesn't like to play deep into the bench unless it's a blowout...anyone outside of the starting 5 + dmo + brewer and 1 of either terry or jones when he comes back won't ever see consistent minutes.

6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

^This. This has always been true of Mchale, I don't know why everyone is so shocked like it's something new.

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I would expect any Rockets coach right now to be coaching with one eye on the playoffs. McHale does not see Canaan playing a significant role in the playoffs this year, so giving that individual player minutes is less important than giving different units of guys minutes. That's my read.