1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Minor trade in the works, Woods requests and is granted release from his contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hooroo, Jul 14, 2008.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5887748.html

2. durvasa

durvasa Member

Sounds like Novak will be traded for a future pick.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My knee-jerk reaction after seeing Donte Greene in the 2nd half tonight is: Don't let the door hit you Steve. Nice guy. Non-NBA level talent.

4. Laozi

Laozi Member

Woods and Novak gone? Damn, what are we gonna do for dead weight? Does anyone know if Scott Pollard is available?

5. The Drake

The Drake Member

wrong Scott...I'm assuming you meant Padgett? :D

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Novak or Head for a pick would be my guess.....

Maybe Hayes too....who knows.

DD

7. durvasa

durvasa Member

It's hard for me to deny that he was one superior, NBA-level skill. I think he still has a future in this league. Just probably not for a defensive-oriented team like the Rockets.

8. durvasa

durvasa Member

I don't think the Rockets would give up Head or Hayes for just picks. They're likely trade bait, but it will be for a player who can contribute immediately.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

Or without a pick in return and to any team who are just willing to take him and have a free roster spot.

Several teams can offer a TE and pick for Head.

Another scenario could be the Rockets moving two for one involving Francis to a team desperate for point guard help.

10. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Flyin Ryan can be had i'm sure.

Get it done Morey.

11. Tornadoofsoul6

Something like Novak to Philly for Minnesota's 2nd?

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

The situation reminds of the Hornets moving Snyder and JR Smith for a TE & 2nd round pick in return.

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Clearly, Woods doesn't think the Rockets are good enough for him. Woods is Yao Ming in Europe.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

Hopefully we get Dorsey signed quickly. Then we can maybe get a 2-for-1 or 3-for-2 or whatever Morey has up his sleeve.

Chuck is redundant, Barry just replaced Luther, and Donte Greene just showed us why the Rockets wanted him in the first place----and probably pushed Steve N. to the door.

15. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Member

wrong scott again......im assuming you meant scott(y) brooks

16. wingz0

wingz0 Member

I don't know why a guy like Steve Novak can't get even spot minutes for a contender off the bench. He has one excellent skill even by NBA standards, and that's his shooting. It's not like he can only shoot 3s either, this guy has a shooting touch from all over the floor.

Yes, his defense is bad, but imo, a guy with his level of ability shooting the ball, you just have to put him into games, run screens for him, and let him shoot the rock. I'm sure at the very least, what he gives up on the defensive end, he can get it back from his ability to make shots alone.

17. batkins

batkins Member

I really hope we keep Novak. I mean, the guy has offense down. His defense needs work, but that can come in time.

18. durvasa

durvasa Member

A TE sounds more plausible than just a pick. I'll admit, though, I'd be bummed about it.

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing that Morey is pissed that Dorsey sat out despite Morey being willing to double-up on insurance. I'd be willing to bet that Morey was hoping to sign Dorsey to a three-year deal (team option on third year) like he did for Novak in 2006. Unfortunately, in order for that to happen, Morey first must re-sign Landry and make sure there is something left of the MLE. However, if Dorsey insists on sitting out until his contract is signed, then Morey will lose the ability to get that third year option.

20. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

I agree. I don't think he was given a fair chance. This last season was the first time he saw any floor time whatsoever. He hit some big shots for us.

Yes, he is a defensive liability, but so is Luther. I would get rid of him before I got rid of Novak. He has one great skill, and that's shooting. The Rockets need to run some screens to get him open. He's the only Rocket that consistently knock down shots last season.

We need to take advantage of this guy.

He's cheap and has a hell of a shot.

No to getting rid of Novak.