1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Minor League Open Thread: 5/23/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, May 23, 2013.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Velasquez might be my favorite prospect in the system . From what I remember, he was relatively new to pitching when he was drafted and it seems like he has really produced at every level . He may not have a true number one ceiling as his fastball isn't super high octane and I don't think he has a plus plus pitch , but he might have a combination of 3 plus pitches and good control . A pitcher can be very solid with a 92-96 mph fastball and two other plus offerings . Due to his age and lack of innings I think he will spend the whole year at single A , even if he keeps on dominating. But make no mistake if he can keep his production up he profiles as a high ceiling number 2 that can dominate on any night . The only question with him is with the tommy John surgery last year and if he can remain healthy. But every pitcher in the minors has injury concerns

2. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Cosart using up a ton of pitches again tonight. Love the strikeouts, but don't always love the pitch counts. Still wonder if long term he gets bumped into a closer role.

3. thegreekdbag

thegreekdbag Member

Velasquez hit 100 in a game earlier. Probably a hot gun, though.

4. thegreekdbag

thegreekdbag Member

I only want him turned into a closer as a last resort. You give a guy with his arm as much time as possible to stick as a starter.

5. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

I'm not advocating moving him to a closer role any time soon, and I agree he should get plenty of chances to stick as a starter. Absent trades, it's going to be at least a couple seasons before there are even other guys in the system that might knock him from a rotation spot. I just wonder if 2-3 years down the road we don't start asking ourselves whether we want him as a closer. The K's have been there for him this year, and he does an exceptional job of limiting hard contact and keeping the ball in the ballpark. The only real concern with Cosart right now is whether he can eat up innings.

6. thegreekdbag

thegreekdbag Member

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7081

Remember when this was what we had to look forward to?

Five-Star Prospects
    None
    Four-Star Prospects
    1. J.R. Towles, C
    Three-Star Prospects
    2. Felipe Paulino, RHP
    3. Bud Norris, RHP
    Two-Star Prospects
    4. Brad James, RHP
    5. Josh Flores, OF
    6. Chad Reineke, RHP
    7. Mitch Einertson, OF
    8. Eli Iorg, OF
    9. Jordan Parraz, OF
    10. Sergio Perez, RHP
    11. Collin DeLome, OF

Just Missing: Samuel Gervacio, RHP; Tommy Manzella, SS; Polin Trinidad, RHP

7. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Man, remember when we really thought Towles could be something?

He hit like .180 in his career with us. Something terrible like that. Just goes to show that none of these guys are sure things, and it's nice that Luhnow has gone for both quality and quantity.

8. thegreekdbag

thegreekdbag Member

You really did a number on the Astros, Mr. Poopura.

9. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

You shut your mouth. JASON JENNINGS WAS GREAT!

10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Not a bad outing from Jarred Cosart, but unless the Redhawks take the lead, he'll be saddled with the loss.

6 IP, 6 H (solo homer), 2 ER, 2 BB, 6 K

11. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Gave up a few 2Bs too tonight. Definitely more extra base hits than usual, but he's cruising. Not a lot he can prove in AAA anymore. Surely we're only waiting for the Super Two deadline to bring him up? I can't think of any other reason to keep him down.

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I won't miss Rhiner Cruz or Phil Humber.

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Delino DeShields with 2 steals just now...

14. boozle222

boozle222 Member

Highlight of the night in CC: Tacos. That city loves their free tacos. With NiTro on the mound a win clearly sealed, the remaining 2K+ fans that were there made sure to lift the team to sweet Tex Mex victory. On a swinging third strike, Nick got the teams strikeouts to 10, and dreams of tacos were now becoming reality.

Show me the tacos.

15. No Worries

No Worries Member

A reason to keep him down: Cosart's every changing arm slot. A more consistent arm slot should improve his control and allow him to pitch deeper in games.