1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Minor League Open Thread: 5/23/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, May 23, 2013.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Astros took 2 of 3 from the Royals for their 2nd series win of the season. After the 3-1 win last night, they have today off.

I might shelve the open threads after this one, considering that all the other ones are mostly me talking to myself. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

All times Central.

Audio links

Oklahoma City (27-18) @ Fresno (26-21), 9:05

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The series finale presents a pretty good pitching matchup, as Jarred Cosart will face off against Mike Kickham. Kickham is the #5 prospect in the Giants' system, according to Baseball America. Cosart's looking to rebound from an outing in which he only lasted 4 1/3 innings, an outing in which he ran up a high pitch count early.

Corpus Christi (26-19) vs. Northwest Arkansas (14-29), 7:05

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Bobby Doran and Nick Tropeano will be tonight's pairing for the Hooks. Their counterpart for NW Arkansas will be Brooks Pounders. Doran and Tropeano have really struggled as of late; they'll look to get themselves back on track.

Lancaster (25-20) vs. Inland Empire (25-19), 9:00

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Jethawks are welcoming the team ahead of them in the standings to The Hangar for 3 games; the 66ers have a 1/2-game lead over them in the California League South.

The series opener will have 3 southpaw starters. Blair Walters and Tom Shirley will take the hill for Lancaster, and Inland Empire will be sending out Eswarlin Jimenez.

Quad Cities (23-21) vs. Wisconsin (20-21), 7:00

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The River Bandits will look to snap a 5-game losing streak in the middle game of their series with the Timber Rattlers. Tag team match here, as both teams will be employing the tandem approach tonight. QC is sending out Jamaine Cotton and Vince Velasquez, while Wisconsin will go with Jorge Lopez and Ryan Gibbard.

2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Cosart enters tonight fifth in PCL in ERA (2.49), third in opponent batting average (.197), &amp; fifth in strikeouts per nine innings (9.98).</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/337675002562367488">May 23, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

Is the general belief that Cosart really has ace type stuff? I was talking to a guy here at work the other day about the Astros future and he was exhuberantly optimistic about this team's future. While I am hoping that this renewed emphasis on the minors helps this team drag itself out of the doldrums, what I have seen to this point of our farm system arms (and I'm speaking mostly of the AA/AAA guys) seems as though we might have some guys that can help on the starting pitching front, but we don't have much in the way of top flight talent in that area. He seemed to disagree. Of guys like McCullers, Cosart, Tropeano, etc -- any of them have real potential to be a stud?

4. thegreekdbag

thegreekdbag Member

Yes, the only thing that will hold him back is command and control. He can be inefficient. Also, you're forgetting Foltynewicz who sits in the mid to high 90s and is succeeding at AA. He was one of the first rounders in 2010. Velasquez (2nd rounder from 2010) and McCullers (41st overall pick who we went overslot to sign at 2.5 million) are also really good and have hit 100 this year. The pitching down on the farm has been a bright spot so far this year for sure.

5. boozle222

boozle222 Member

Springer with a hard ground out to third. Has he always rocked into his swing with his lead foot?

6. boozle222

boozle222 Member

Fields just hit a homer for the Naturals that just joined Albert Pujol's in orbit.

7. boozle222

boozle222 Member

Meyer just hit a laser to left field to score him and Santana. The fog horn is a great touch in CC for homers.

8. boozle222

boozle222 Member

Rene Garcia just nailed down a runner at second. Guy has a cannon for an arm and it was a speedy dude running.

9. boozle222

boozle222 Member

Springer with a walk and easily able to swipe second on a low pitch/clean catch.

10. boozle222

boozle222 Member

Two hooks have been erased on base running miscues. Up 3-2 in the bottom of the fourth.

Also, the stadium and atmosphere is a must. Just a fun overall energy.

11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Quad Cities getting no-hit right now...

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Member
    Supporting Member

He's got an OPS around .900 this month after a slow start. I believe he's got a rep for a plus glove, so that would be great.

Stassi also has a decent bat so far. With him and Perez in AAA, the organization has some interesting catching depth.

13. boozle222

boozle222 Member

Bases loaded... Springer strike out.

14. thegreekdbag

thegreekdbag Member

Springer is 1-3 with 2 walks and a stolen base

Correa is 0-2 with 2 walks

Santana is 2-4 with a double

Ruiz is 0-2 with 2 walks

Velasquez with 3 ip, 1 h, 0 er, 1 walk, 6 strikeouts

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Vince Velasquez finished up with 4 scoreless, allowing a hit, walking 1, and fanning 8.

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Member
    Supporting Member

Velasquez was about as dominant as it gets. 4 innings, 1 hit, 1 walk, 8 Ks. 3 groundball outs and a foul pop were his non K outs. Even the hit he allowed was on the ground.

Losing effort for Quad Cities, but always good to see. I like the amount of walks Correa has drawn. Really good sign for someone his age.

17. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Great start for Velasquez tonight. 4IP 1H 8SO.

Nice to see Max Stassi with a 3-4 night with 2 2Bs. The reviews of his defense were good when he came over, so if he continues to hit he and Carlos Perez might really push for a roster spot next year. Makes you wonder if the Astros think about dealing Carlos Corporan (who, I think, is under team control until at least 2015?).

18. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Speaking of Carlos Perez, has he been injured? I can't remember the last time I saw him playing for OKC. Lots of Jaramillo lately.

19. thegreekdbag

thegreekdbag Member

He just played last night and went 1-2 with a walk.

20. thegreekdbag

thegreekdbag Member

Is DeShields hurt again after getting HBP? And hopefully Fontana is back soon.