1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Minnesota Vikings Management -- Classless

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by University Blue, Nov 9, 2007.

1. University Blue

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3100835

The Minnesota Vikings have docked wide receiver Troy Williamson one game check for missing last Sunday's game against the San Diego Chargers to attend the Monday funeral of his maternal grandmother.

Based on his 2007 salary of $435,000, the action by the Vikings will cost the three-year veteran $25,588. Williamson has 45 days to appeal Minnesota's decision to withhold his pay, and NFL Players Association sources said he will do so.

Coach Brad Childress told Twin Cities-area media following Thursday's practice that the decision was on a "business principle" of the Vikings organization.

"He had a family obligation that he had to see to," Childress said. "We sat down and talked on it before he left. ... He had to do what he had to do. Everybody handles that differently. [Williamson] had to do what his family situation called for."

Childress cited the cases of two players, Minnesota defensive tackle Pat Williams and Indianapolis wide receiver Reggie Wayne, who appeared in games shortly after the deaths of family members.

Williamson's maternal grandmother, who helped to raise him and with whom he was very close, died last week and he returned to South Carolina, where he played a large role in arranging her funeral. He also had to make travel arrangements for several of his siblings, some of whom are in the armed services. He returned to the team on Wednesday as the Vikings began practicing for this Sunday's game against Green Bay.

The team apparently apprised Williamson on Wednesday that he would not receive a paycheck for the game that he missed.

"I don't care if they would have [taken] my pay for the rest of the year, I was going home," Williamson told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "It wouldn't have mattered to me."

The team's first-round choice in the 2005 draft and regarded as Minnesota's best deep threat despite continuing inconsistencies that have marked his career, Williams has nine receptions for 159 yards and one touchdown while starting in six of seven games.

Williamson's agent, David Canter, revealed last week that his client's older brother was injured in an automobile accident in September and that he has been hospitalized in Georgia, where he has been in and out of a coma. He said Williamson, who has been able to spend only a little time visiting his brother, has been battling through the ordeal of "a grieving and healing" process and that his family is his first priority.

"What we have is both of the situations and circumstances coming to a head," Canter said. "His brother is in the hospital, and who knows what his health status will be? And then his grandma passing. He needs to be with his family. The Vikings are his extended family, and hopefully he can come back and continue to work to be the most successful he can be."

Canter declined comment Thursday evening on the decision by Minnesota officials to withhold Williamson's paycheck for last week.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Isn't it bad enough he's known as the guy who they traded Randy Moss for?

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

That's just wrong.

4. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Nice job Vikings! :rolleyes:

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Idiotic move.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Well from Minnesota's POV, at least the raiders didn't get much out of the deal as well.

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

They're certainly getting burned by this publicly. Hopefully they reverse stance and institute bereavement leave, or the higher paid players pool together and replace his game check.

8. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

just plain arses.

9. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

They're still upset the Big Ticket left town.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Simply wrong. My aunt died a few weeks ago. I told my boss that I was going to Minnesota for the funeral...I didn't ask. They were very gracious and paid me for my time, even though I had used my vacation time to that point.

11. Asian Sensation

He will soon be replaced by an even bigger ticket. ALLLLLLLLL DAY BABY.

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

A gesture that will be remembered when it comes time to renegotiate. Just business.

13. playlife

playlife Member

He's only paid $435,000? Even Novak earns more i think just sitting on the bench

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

It's bad business. That's ridiculous.

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I'm torn on the issue. On one hand, it sucks to lose money to go to your Grandmother's funeral, and maybe they should have just paid him.

On the other hand, NFL players tend to be paid on a per game basis, even if hurt or whatever. In this case, he chose to leave and they chose not to pay him. They didn't cut him, fire him, fine him, etc...they just didn't pay him for a game he didn't play in.

16. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I absolutely agree. I'm just saying he can use the business line when it comes time.

17. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Can't believe that there isn't a bereavement policy for the NFL...

THis reminds me of Baby Gate with David Williams skipping an Oilers game to attend the birth of his child, he got docked 1 game's pay, got national coverage about that.

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Nice one Vikes. :rolleyes:

19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

He should just dump the Vikes after that crap and come to a class organization - the Texans! :cool:

20. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Wow, that's very very crappy of the team.