1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Minnesota Riots [may 2020]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, May 28, 2020.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm sure it's the white Trumpers dropping off the bricks, too.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

They do ask themselves that. They take 5 seconds to answer that question with "because they're thugs". That's all they need to know to understand the problem in their eyes.

dobro1229 likes this.
  3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Why does looting and pillaging happen? That's a behavior as old as humanity itself.

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

For someone that tries to act scholarly and has a worldly view of others. You sure do generalize a lot.

jcf likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

Well you tell me the reasons people are rioting. I've had enough debates and discussions with conservatives in my life time especially when I was in a right wing bubble for half a decade. That's pretty much the end of their analysis for why black communties have more crime. It's "culture". That's all they need to understand.

Ya I'm "generalizing" an ideology. American right wing conservatism is a specific ideology. If I made an assumption that a self labeled conservative has a pro-life stance, it's an assumption but it's a reasonable one.

So yes many conservatives believe it's culture. When your being up history they get defensive and say "I had nothing to do with slavery" and state that was a long time ago ignoring the 100 years after slavery ended with Jim Crow segregation.

7. fchowd0311

I think MLK said it best - "Riots are the language of the unheaed". You'll never see a group of corporate lawyers rioting or a group of wall street bankers rioting for a reason. They are heard.

dobro1229 likes this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I read this section a lot. Typically only talk in sports sections, seeing how this is mainly a sports forum.
    But a ton of the progressives that frequently post are hypocrites. The inverse of Trumpers, one needs the other for balance I guess.
    This place is an echo chamber with no acceptance of differing opinions at times. That’s not beneficial to growth.

We had a discussion regarding stereotypes yesterday, you’re stereotyping conservatives as we speak. Typecasting an entire group to benefit your narrative. The extremes on either partisan line are idiots, period.

Maybe this sub forum has a lot of emotional posts, understandably so.

I feel any rational person that can look at issues on a case by case instance, understands Floyd’s death isn’t right. The officer deserves punishment (id be fine with death penalty) but it’s also ok to say looting and rioting, while some are doing it for altruistic reasons, the majority are using this mans death to benefit.
    That’s not right either

jiggyfly and Two Sandwiches like this.
  9. fchowd0311

So you won't answer my question.

Are you making a gross bigoted assumption if you tell me that a typical Democrat voter believes in abortion rights? Or expanding government healthcare?

So yes,. Sorry, but it's a typical conservative talking point expressed in right wing bubbles that black urban poverty and crime is a result of bad culture. Any time I mention past actions and systems in US history, pretty much every time they get defensive and strawman my argument with "I had nothing to do with slavery".

And please don't make assumptions of people being in bubbles. I spent half a decade in the very opposite bubble you claim I'm in when I was in Marine infantry and I still interact with many of my former peers and 90% of them are vigorously right wing and I've hand plenty of lengthy discussions. But it's not just personal anecdotes. I can show you Fox News clip after Fox News clip of analysis of black crime just resorting to "bad culture" with an attempt to diminish the effect of history by saying stuff like "slavery ended over a century ago, get over it".

Please don't confuse making statements on an ideology that socially and politically conscious adults chose to accept as bigoted.

By all means discredit my perception that most conservative Americans blame culture and ignore history when it comes to the modern predicament of urban black poverty and crime.

Here's your chance to express your differing opinions with actually content rather than just telling me my assumptions are wrong.

Also any rational problem solver doesn't look at any individual case in an isolated environment and ignoring all context of history.

#229 fchowd0311, May 30, 2020
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
  10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

The most hypocritical, ignorant position to take in all this is to say that looting and violence is justified, because hopefully it will lead to a discussion everybody wants to avoid on race. No, it won’t. It will be viewed correctly as criminal activity and reinforce negative stereotypes.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, I’ve heard your story before. Anecdotal evidence doesn’t matter.
    You do you bud. I have no interest in playing this word circle game with you. You’re regurgitating the same tired tropes, general ideology associated with political parties.
    Like I said, the extremes on both sides are idiots. There is grey area, that’s where there’s room for subtlety.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

And you are bringing nothing to the table besides regurgitating platitudes.

Again, is it bigoted to assume a self labeled liberal Democrat believes in abortion rights?

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You just answered your own question.. humanity and the history of who we are as a species.

We have a pandemic where 100,000 people have died, affecting mostly communities of color, we’ve been locked in our homes for months now, 20 million unemployed, and then a series of blatant race murders...

Yeah you have a powder keg that just needed a spark to cause this explosion of civil society breakdown. Why it’s surprising to some is the biggest question I have. This is human nature when you have a society like we have with a situation like the one we have.

I do think there are some that want a race war and are trying to throw gasoline on the fire. The Timothy McVay’s of this world. Those people need to be found by law enforcement and the protests need organizing that had leadership to give structure and purpose to the protests or chaos will reign supreme, but what caused this is the central question. It starts with a society and a country that is founded on racial injustice and this cycle of every time there is a situation like this virus that creates negative affects to our society, the privileged get to live comfortably in their ivory towers while communities of color, especially African Americans die and are asked to do better even as they have knees on their necks. Literally and figuratively.

The anger is understood. Putting your knee further into their necks by blaming their communities for every broken window only reinforces that point of the broken society of injustice we have if people like yourself in privileged white society continue to have this glaze over your eyes.

If you look at this situation the way I’m pretty sure you do (look at these thugs destroying our city, ungrateful thugs), you are part of the problem and need to wake up.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, fair enough. I’m bringing nothing to this conversation, I’m fine with that. I don’t have this incessant need to feel heard.
    Just know, you aren’t bringing much to the conversation either.
    And the deflecting and straw man conversations don’t matter, I don’t care what you think about abortion.

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely agree that there are some that want a race war, it’s unfortunate.
    Hateful people on every side.
    You can go down any black twitter and fight hate. Definitely the shite nationalist sites.
    It’s sad

16. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

There isn’t a why breh. It’s projection.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

200 people were arrested in Houston last night. I know multiple Houston restaurant/ bar owners that tried to stay open and were shut down during lockdown... but I don’t know of any that were arrested.

But please educate me.

18. fchowd0311

It's amazing. You had a chance to actually explain to me why my "assumption" is wrong and instead went to meta conversations that I post too much on the D&D.

Please explain to me why I should erase the perception of conservative GOP voters believing that culture is the reason for the symptom of modern urban black poverty and crime while stating that discrimination against blacks and enslavement of blacks are the past and shouldn't be used as an "excuse".

Modern American GOP conservativism will always try to downplay the modern effects of Jim Crow and Slavery. It's the knee jerk talking point in almost every conservative right wing news source from cable television to YouTube channels when this specific topic comes to play. Now we see many conservatives who acknowledge intensive police reform but then make a statement that this doesn't have to do with race and it's just cops in general treating people equally bad across all racial lines.

19. fchowd0311

The 400 years of systemic oppression of Blacks isn't about mass genocide buddy. That's not how Black Americans experienced systemic racism. They were seen as manual labor work horses who had a place in society which was the lowest place. So no, white people in America didn't want to mass genocide African Americans. They just wanted to limit their upward mobility.

20. fchowd0311

Most here aren't saying it's justified. You are confusing normative statements with statements that just describe what is.

The argument you are strawmanning is that riots are expected given the history and context of these black urban communties and what they went through for centuries.

We aren't saying people "ought" to riot. We are saying people are bound to riot. There is a difference.