1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MiniSeries: Pillars of the Earth

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DonkeyMagic, Jul 19, 2010.

Tags:
  1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

looks boring.

3. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

well it's hard to explain a 900+ page book that spans over a period of time about 50 years is difficult to do in less that 2 minutes.

if you want action packed clips with no real story or drama...check out the A Team.

4. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

The book was great. I'll watch this for sure.

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

paging Scribo

i bought this book because of one of his threads

i am about 1/2 through it i keep it at my parents place as something to do when i get bored there when i visit them or if i spend the night over at their place something to read at night. so far its a pretty good book

6. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

side note...I also heard they are making a movie for Water for Elephants.

Although Robert Pattinson (twilight vampire guy) is the lead, i hope the rest of the movie does the book justice.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That and World Without End were two of the better and more entertaining books I have ever read.

8. Lil Mongoose

Lil Mongoose Member

I'm not one to comment - however, this one did catch my attention. I'm too new to "rep", but I've got to give the OP some props for this thread. To someone just previewing the trailer, it's unlikely you'll be able to fully appreciate all the nuances that Pillars captures. However, this is a great book that covers all the bases - drama, intrigue, conspiracy, romance....it is truly amazing.

If you enjoy reading, Pillars is a must. After I read it, I basically recommended it to everyone I knew, and I have yet to meet a person that did not enjoy it.

The director took some creative liberties in the first episode, but it was still great.

I can't wait for the remaining 14 hours.

1 person likes this.
  9. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Glad you're reading it. Pillars of the Earth and the sequel World without End are two of the better books I've read. They are top notch historical fiction and really epic in scope.

That being said, I can almost guarantee I'll hate the mini series. I almost always hate film adaptation of good books I've read. I focus on the things they leave out, and there are always scenes that don't play out the way I imagined.

10. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

I read and enjoyed the book and am now reading "World Without End". When I saw the trailer for this on-line I was really pumped and, while I don't have Starz, I was planning on purchasing the DVD as soon as I could.

The other day I stumbled upon a "Making Of" special on the DircTV Channel The 101 followed by the first hour of the mini series. I was very excited to see this preview but, unfortunately I was kind of disappointed. It went fast (as expected) and seemed kind of convoluted (again, as expected).

I am still going to get the DVD and see if it settles in (I really hope so) but they are really cramming the story elements in there....

11. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pillars of the Earth was pretty good. Overly simplistic with good vs bad characters but overall enjoyable and gave a good sense of struggle in the 12th century.

World Without End was absurd, however, and I couldn't enjoy it. Not only did it follow pretty much the same formula of the first book, but some of the characters were so fantastical in their representation that it hurt one's head.

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

It's on netflix instaplay.

13. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

the first episode was a bit rushed. Like Scribo eluded, they seemed to pass on some things i tend focused on in the book (e.g. Philip's time at the priory).

That being said, i think the purpose was to get to the making of the cathedral as soon as possibly, which they managed to do in the first episode. I think they will be able to slow the pace down a bit and work on character building more.

Chase, you are right, it was a little convoluted early on buyt again, i think that can go back to the above paragraphs point...at least I hope.

14. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Watched the first two episodes on Netflix yesterday. Pretty good. I will certainly continue to watch.

15. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

So netflix already has the entire series or what?

16. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

No, they just had the first 2 episodes on Instant streaming.

17. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Anyone else still watching? Just finished last night's episode (via Netflix streaming. Which kicks ass!). It's getting really damn good. But, I admit to have never reading the novels, so I don't know how true it is to the source material.

18. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

i didnt catch the last one but am looking forward to it.

19. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

finally caught the second one. It's certainly picking up. Still a few nuances that I have a hard time remembering if they were in the book or not.

Regardless, the show is done well.