1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ming's wingspan

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ctx, May 10, 2002.

1. ctx

ctx Member

http://collegebasketballnews.theinsiders.com/2/46836.html

some interesting info.

"Ming's parents are both former members of the Chinese national basketball teams. His father is 6-7 and his mother is 6-3."

"Ming led the Chinese team in blocked shots (2.2), rebounding (6.0) and field goal percentage (63.9%) in the 2000 Summer Olympics. He finished second in scoring with 10.5 points per game" Ming was 18 at Sydney, like a HS kid.

2. Live

Live Member

Hey,....

My cousin is 6'3"-6'4", and his wife is 6'-6'1". He played some baseball in HS, and I think she was a volleyball player or ran track.

They had triplets :eek: a few years ago,... BOYS!

:eek: :eek: :D ;)

3. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

a guy yao's height could just attack the basket every possession and probably get fouled hitting 80% ft's

just need to make sure he brings what aggressiveness he has in the CBA to the NBA

4. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

I don't envision him to be that type of player. I think he will try to drift away from the basket and hit jump shots, instead of taking it inside.

5. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

In another post comparing Yao and Bradley, someone stated Bradley had more upper body strength and Yao had more lower body strength. Assuming that is true, I think Ming Yao has more of a chance to succeed because upper body strength (UBS) is not as important in gaining and maintaining position. Also, UBS can be improved more dramatically and faster than LBS.

In addition, I've seen reports saying Yao weighs as much as 280 lbs. If that's muscle, he will be a load, even for that guy in L.A. However, I must admit that the Red Chinese government's potential interference factor worries me a lot more than questions about Yao's ability and/or potential.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

thumbs,

That article says he weighed in at 296 lbs and was 7' 6 1/4" in shoes. Wow! :eek:

7. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

DofD, I will be so glad next Sunday when we know the draft order, but the pre-draft hype gets so crazy that it's hard to believe some of the stories coming out. If this one is true, I'll add two woofs and a thumbs up on drafting him.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I was listening to 610 today on the way back to Dallas and somebody was saying that Ming's stock dropped after his workout. The guy says Jay Williams is probably the #1 pick and Ming may last till #3.

9. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

the lotto will be exciting. I'll be in the chat room.