1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MIN Not Moving on HOU’s Offer (Marquese Chriss and Brandon Knight and 4 First Round Picks for JB)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by txn, Oct 26, 2018.

1. HTM

HTM Member

Why is Minnesota being so obstinate? They aren't winning anything with or without JB this season and he is leaving next year... is getting the 4th,5th or 6th seed and eliminated in the first/2nd round that imporant?

2. HP3

HP3 Member

Like I said before the picks in 2023 an 2025 will prolly be really valuable, so its not like there isnt any incentive. As to their "win now" mode, I think Thibs is the only one who feels that way looll.

icewill36, DonKnock and snowconeman22 like this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Exactly, he clearly dosn't want it but he will be marked as the guy who passed up a franchise altering (in a good way!) deal in order to patch together a mess of a squad with its ceiling being a weak 5-9 seed also-ran season.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

if it makes Thibs feel any better it's essentially trading Zach Lavine, Kris Dunn, and Lauri Markinnen for Ryan Anderson, D'Anthony Melton and 4 1sts.

da_juice likes this.
  5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Because it's Thibs, he's always been hard headed.

6. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

I've had a hard time imagining what our regular roster would look like with Jimmy Butler. After looking at our 2017-18 Playoffs vs. GSW roster and comparing it to what we have now, I can see a couple possibilities for a regular rotation.

Scenario 1: Trade Eric Gordon + Nene + 4 picks
    Jimmy Butler fills Ariza gap
    Brandon Knight fills Eric Gordon's role
    Chriss becomes regular backup C

Scenario 2: Trade Brandon Knight + Chriss + 4 picks
    Jimmy Butler fills Ariza gap
    We keep EG
    Nene will return as primary backup C, as opposed to insurance OR Morey looks for another C

As opposed to what we have now:
    Starting: CP3 - Harden - Ennis - Tucker - Clint
    Bench: MCW / BK - EG - GG - Melo - Nene / Chriss

In Scenario 1, we'd role with:
    Starting: CP3 - Harden - Butler - Tucker - Clint
    Bench: MCW - BK - GG - Melo - Chriss

And in Scenario 2 which is what it looks like we were going for given the latest news, we'd role with:
    Starting: CP3 - Harden - Butler - Tucker - Clint
    Bench: EG - GG - Ennis - Melo - Nene

Which would you rather prefer?

The question mark for me in Scenario 1 is if BK will fill EG's shoes well enough. The other is if we'll find another C in case Chriss doesn't work out.
    For Scenario 2, the concern for me would be will be able to find a more regular backup C since Nene plays < 51 games a year now.

BigShasta likes this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thibs is stubborn. That is the problem.

Rockets best bet is to overwhelm the Wolves OWNER with an offer where the OWNER forces Thibs to make a deal.

The phrase "FOUR 1st round picks" sounds good. Probably makes the owner smile and probably plays well to the local media where the OWNER & TEAM can SELL this as a good deal for them. I can see why Morey would take this route.

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think you are missing the full value of those first rounders .

The value isn't necessarily in the player you take at that spot ... it's what you can use them for at any time. In other words they are currency .

Sure , the first two will likely be high picks . But that means you have 2 first rounders those years . It gives you flexibility to trade your own , or trade multiple firsts for a player you think helps you in the more immediate term .

Also the 23' and 25' picks have value NOW . They are the main value in the deal . This is because harden and butler will be past their prime by then . How good those picks will be is uncertain . That uncertainty creates value especially when the pick is unprotected .

Houston used a second rounder to get out of andersons contract for two smaller , more manageable deals ..... one expiring this year. If min drafts a guy that looks good in summer league ... that creates value .

Furthermore having 2 first rounders let's you swing for upside on one and play conservative (a high floor prospect) on the other .

4 first rounders is not some joke ... it's why everyone went apeshit when the deal was announced . You never known what can happen in 5 years in the NBA . For all we know harden could get hurt one year . MIN could make out like bandits . At the very least this trade gives MIN a ton of ammo immediately to move in whatever direction they want to

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Full Stop. Let me save you time here. Chriss doesn't work out.

KlutchQT, The_Yoyo, xaos and 4 others like this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If I am Morey I am telling the Wolves that the 2023 draft could be the "double draft" where HS players come out. That pick could be more valuable to you.

heypartner likes this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Just like Pops was. Where Butler loudly demanded a trade, Kawhi more quietly did so. Yet, both stubborn coaches don't want to trade and think they can re-sign the player.

12. Quinncy

Quinncy Member

So its essentially JB for 23/25 picks? (Chriss and Knight don't really matter).

HP3 likes this.
  13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

boy that poster who thought he would look like the second coming of Amare on this team looks like a total buffoon now.

Rockets trade Ryan Anderson to Suns

BigMaloe, fckbandwagons and Deuce like this.
  14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Haha

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thing is, while Pop was stubborn, he also didn't want a circus. Holding onto Kawhi would have brought a circus.

With Thibs, he doesn't GAF about a circus. He thrives in that $hit. So it is worse with Thibs.

DonKnock likes this.
  16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Timberwolves need to fire Thib.

He is a ****in dinosaur.

Cant manage.

Cant coach.

Vivi likes this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LOL, kudos to you, sir!

steddinotayto likes this.
  18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think waiting may not have worked out for the spurs .

I don't know what offers SA had , but derozan , Poetl , and a shitty first is just OK for a guy who is considered a top 5 player .

When you add in that they have to also throw in green who is a strong , rotation caliber player ... they their haul doesn't look great .

Kawhi's value went down because he didn't play for a full season .

I'm sure BOS , philly , or LA offered at least one of their blue-chip prospects and probably additional draft compensation.

SA will be good this year , but they aren't going to compete .

19. icewill36

icewill36 Member

We’ll see that is why they are idiots. You will NEVER get back equal value for an all star. Any players they get are not going to make them better than with butler. The team is going to win less games regardless. The picks can be used to ease the cap, or used to trade for a star that suddenly becomes available. They aren’t close to winning a title with butler, so trading for spare parts isn’t getting them closer. Stop worrying about this season. The future should be the focus because nothing is happening this year anyway. A Coach should never be allowed to be the GM too.

20. HP3

HP3 Member

And honestly if they are talking with Miami ...LOL like what, you really think youll get a better deal than the one we offered, like for real? You like Josh Richardson that much you ....uggggggh