1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Milo Tears into Chris Paul for Supporting Hillary on 'None Taken' Podcast

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

We all know you didn't get into college.

2. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

FTFY.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What a nutter you are. I can't even believe you exist.

4. marky :)

marky :) Member

INB4

"I didn't/don't need Collage, I is self-edumacated. Collage only helps develop more sheeple."

Signed,
    Rocketslegend PhD

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Thanks but I'm curious...

How do y'all even come across people like that? "Random guy on YouTube and Twitter saying incendiary things. I must investigate!"

Side note: I feel older and more out of touch every day. But I also find myself glad to be out of touch, which is probably a common trait amongst the old and out of touch.

6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Milo Yiannopoulos first rose to prominence during #gamergate. He purports to be a conservative (in the British sense) and is an admitted provocateur. He is an anti-feminist and opposes the regressive left. He made a speaking tour recently of American universities (the Dangerous f***** tour), during which he was routinely shut down by the dregs of humanity (which is I am sure one of his goals, and made for great video). Check out his interview on the Rubin Report. If you are for freedom and against denial of facts in support of narratives, he is worth listening to. Also, he is a hoot and a half taking the piss out of people who are wound much too tight.

1 person likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yes... The dregs of society are American college students.

8. StupidMoniker

The moral dregs of society are those who believe that the way to oppose speech you disagree with is not your own speech in counterpoint, but yelling over someone, pulling fire alarms, blockading access to the venue, etc.

9. fchowd0311

I think rapists and terrorists are more dregs to our society than angry kids who push too far back with racists and bigots.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Sounds more like he himself is the dreg of society; as well as anyone who finds his views worthwhile.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well you can't be surprised that some colleges didn't want him to go on about how women would be useless to society if it weren't for sex.

I'm not sure that is "Taking the piss" out of people.

12. StupidMoniker

Yes, rapists and terrorists are worse. Congratulations, you have really destroyed my argument here. I have an unlimited supply of contempt to dole out, there is plenty to spread around.
    I can be very surprised that universities decided that the best way to deal with ideas not supported by the administration was not to oppose them with other ideas, but to censor them. Some people think censorship is bad, especially in a university environment. If they don't like the content of Milo's speech, they can counterprogram with some third wave feminist. Allowing thugs to rush the stage at an approved event, threaten the speaker, blow whistles, and snatch the microphones away from the speakers and then refusing to have the security you forced the speaker to pay for himself intervene is not what I would expect or want from an American university.

#52 StupidMoniker, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If universities don't want him to speak then so what?

Do you expect an HBCU to allow a racist to give a speech to a bunch of black students? Why do you expect a university to give this guy a stage when half of it's population (or usually more) are women? Again, his views on women are basically that their main benefit to society is their body and that is what motivates men. He loves to heavily imply that women are also dumber and are emotionally unstable.

So just like an HBCU wouldn't let David Duke speak, why would they let Milo speak?

This isn't an infringement on free speech. It is a private institution muting him.

Free speech doesn't mean you get to say what you want to say on any soapbox you want to say it on.

14. StupidMoniker

Are you asking why I think universities should allow unpopular speech? Because the university is the appropriate place for discourse, the physical bazaar for the marketplace of ideas. I don't think they should censor Milo and more than they should censor a communist or a feminist or a BLM activist. Obviously it is not a violation of the first amendment (unless being done by a public university as was seen at UCLA and UC Irvine), but it is an infringement on free speech as a cultural value that has it's place at the university perhaps more than anywhere else.

Should historically black colleges and universities have people like David Duke as speakers? Absolutely. Even better, invite him to moderated panel discussions so arguments and counter arguments can be advanced by people with differing perspectives. An education should be a process of critical examination of myriad viewpoints, not a dogmatic echo chamber of whatever variety holds sway at a particular institution.

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I get to experience these unemployed Christian A-holes in person. They give free speech a bad name. Bear in mind they visit public universities, which they despise, because private schools or businesses would bounce their asses out in 2 seconds. Stayed 90 minutes before one of them got arrested. They really enhance the discourse of the university :rolleyes: F&%^ing pieces of ****. I went grill to grill with the dude talking at the start of the video. "You're unemployed! Get a job!" That's what I shouted. This organization probably has tax exempt status. I'm tired of my tax dollars paying for this unemployed trash.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eftrQOVqZ9g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Fighting for bigotry and misogyny in the public square is so you.

17. fchowd0311

wrong thread

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Eh, we are acting like his views are sophisticated. The people in charge and the student bodies quite plainly don't want to hear it, what can you do? You can say what should be done but clearly many disagree.

It would be like a flat earther going to an astrophysics conference, do you think they'd let him/her speak? No, they'd dismiss it as drivel and move on.
    At some point you drive the discussion backwards and that's what Milo does.

What Milo offers is drivel. It's not presented in a serious or intelligent way so there really is little discussion to be had in the first place and he's a troll.

If he had been a psychologist with years of study behind his opinion on gender, sex, etc etc then maybe he'd have a point...but he's a known troll looking for a stage to troll on.

19. fchowd0311

You could have just said "I was being facetious" instead you just seem like you are moving goal posts.

I don't consider college students who are irked by explicit bigotry and racism enough that they don't want them in 'their campus' as 'dregs of society'. They maybe a tad naive and young but 'dregs of society'? Sure, they could be more mature about it but 'dregs of society'? Have a roommate who I think is a bit too much of a 'bleeding heart' liberal who has similar sentiments as those kids who don't want people like Milo on their campuses but I wouldn't go as far as to say he is a 'dreg' of society as he is a chemical engineering major with a 3.6 GPA who just finished a summer internship at Raytheon and will more than likely be a more productive member of society than you ever are.

So no, I don't think they are anywhere in the same vicinity as 'dregs of society'.

You seriously need some perspective in your life.

20. StupidMoniker

Interesting. I watch (about half of) that video and see three people admittedly being assholes, and quite a few people on the other side doing things like physically assaulting them and threatening to kill them. It is not at all surprising to me that your complaints relate to the three Christians who are saying mean things about Islam and not at all to the people actually breaking the law and resorting to violence because they don't like what is being said.
    I want people who disagree with him to combat his ideas not through bullying tactics like raising the cost of security the day of the event, storming the stage, blowing whistles in the auditorium, snatching microphones from presenters and moderators, and shouting over speakers, but rather by presenting their own counter arguments in a calm and rational manner.
    The fact that you disagree with what he says (while providing no evidence against it) should not result in his censorship. It is also not at all like a flat earther going to an astrophysics conference. Milo goes to colleges where some student organization (College Republicans, Young Americans for Freedom, etc.) had invited him as a speaker, is paying for him to come, is somehow arranging for a room and equipment, etc. These are not instances of him crashing other people's events and demanding equal time.

#60 StupidMoniker, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016