1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mills Throws A Really Good Ball

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pgabriel, Oct 17, 2021.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Good, he deserves the chance. But when Mills or any other white QB starts again and you big mad. Just go ahead and leave.

2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I would prefer the Texans have a dual - threat QB. He doesn't have to be black, Matt Corral isn't black. The way that the game is headed, I think it's beneficial to have a QB that can beat you more than one way.

However, with that being said, Brady is a beast, so is Rodgers and Justin Herbert. What it comes down to, either you have it or you don't!

We NEED someone who is good at his job, who can move the Texans forward and find us that franchise QB and as it sit right now I DO NOT TRUST CASERIO!

He hasn't won a trade yet and only one of his draft picks are playing above their level... LOPEZ!

UTSA2step and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Rodgers and Herbert are dual threats. In fact Rodgers was the big dual threat of this era.
    Herbert is the 3rd or 4th fastest QB in the league. Behind only Kyler and Lamar.

I too prefer a dual threat, but the first threat needs to be actual QB play. Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, Allen (kinda), Herbert, Murray types.
    The majority of the league is mobile QBs. There are only maybe 10 true pocket QBs left in the game.

Wilson, Murray, Stafford, Lance, Rodgers, Fields, Goff, Darnold, Dak, Hurts, Jones, Heinicke, Herbert, Mahomes, Carr, Bridgewater (before injury), Baker, Lamar, Burrow, Tua, Allen, Z. Wilson, Lawrence, Wentz, Tannehill, and Mills are all mobile. 4.8 and under. With majority being 4.6-4.7 range.

4. HeyBudLetsParty

lol wtf are you crying about dude, I’m Pakistani and was a huge Watson fan till he went sexual predator. Mills is in an awful situation, probably the worst out of any QB drafted. Sucks he’ll probably never get a fair shot to see if he could excel with a team around him

5. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

We agree the Texans need a dual - threat QB. However, to me there's a difference between dual - threat and mobile Quaterbacks.

For example, Jackson is dual-threat, Rodgers is more mobile. Same for Wilson and Tannehill, Wilson is dual - threat, Tannehill is mobile. I would prefer dual-threat but if the Texans next QB is mobile with a great arm...DONE!

I want someone who is not a statue in the pocket. I like Willis, Corral, Ridder and Daniels. Mills is a rookie, so he has a ways to go but I just don't see that "IT FACTOR". I think his upside can be average NFL starter but his floor is a backup, possible out of the league within the next several yrs, ala Brock Osweiler.

javal_lon and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I absolutely agree with the take on Mills.

Rodgers is older now and doesn’t run as much but is one of the most athletic quarterbacks to ever play the game. Well superior to Watson.
    Tannehill is the same, an elite athlete that was a big time receiver just because he could in college. You’re conflating ability to run and choice to run first imo. Kyler is every bit as athletic as Lamar but chooses to pass first. That’s what I want.
    Josh Allen, Kyler, Wilson, young Rodgers, Steve Young, Elway, McNair, Watson are “true” dual threats. Lamar is a running threat but doesn’t scare you with the arm outside of pure strength.

My point still stands. The majority of the league are mobile/running QBs. The ones that pass first and can beat you with their mind and arm are the ones that win rings. Wilson, Rodgers and Mahomes. The legs are just icing on the cake

UTSA2step likes this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Also, thank you for civil conversation. I apologize for my accusations.

The league is transferring to well rounded athletes at QB, not just statues. Weird world where Daniel Jones has a longer rushing attempt than Lamar.

UTSA2step likes this.
  8. raining threes

They have.

Ever heard of Vick.

9. raining threes

What do you think is going to happen when Tyrod gets back? Nobody knows what Mills will turnout to be. Anybody that tells you any differently is blowing smoke up your azz. 4 starts in and you already have made the decision on Mills. I'm going to guess if Mills was black (After seeing your previous posts) you would be giving Mills alot longer leash.

10. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t think Mills will be a franchise QB, but he should start the rest of the year. I don’t see anyone (QB) worthy of a top 3 pick so maybe Mills gets next year too. The reality is the Texans organization is a joke for the time being.

Rudyc281, ROCKSS and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Actually, I was being facetious since neither has played tailback.....they've ALWAYS been quaterbacks. And to me, they (Randall Cunningham, Michael Vick and Lamar Jackson) are different Quarterbacks. I think coaches are finally catching up to how to use them.
    The game is changing and if the QB can run, like a Jackson or Murray, it stretches the defense.

Case in point, Bill O'Brien who deemed himself as an OFFENSIVE GENIUS, never looked better as an offensive coach until the Texans drafted Watson. Sure Watson is better than Osweiler, Mallot, Hoyer, Fitzpatrick, etc. but the offense was able to stretch the field. And even though we knew it wasn't because of anything he did as coach, however he begin to look competent.

#71 hlmbasketball, Oct 18, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    UTSA2step likes this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Throwing ability is what stretches the field. Vick and Lamar don’t open up offenses. That’s why they had very minimal success in the playoffs. Way too easy to plan for.
    Murray is not like Vick and Lamar.
    He is a great processor and extremely accurate with ball placement and leading receivers on all sides of field.
    Same as other elite dual threats. Rodgers, Wilson, Elway, Young, Mahomes.
    Kyler is just a bit faster than the others.

Also, Watson is not like Vick, Lamar, Kyler, Wilson.
    He’s not the athlete they are in terms of speed.

raining threes likes this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Bringing race into a debate about sport is really showing a disenfranchised opinion on the world in general. Sport should be a respite. A sanctuary from the craziness that goes around us, but some guys just cant help themselves from injecting their own personal belief system into the argument. Football is evolving. Newsflash the majority of the players in most sports will be black. Who cares? That the QB position was dominated by 6'5 Adonis type players for however long doesnt matter anymore. Embrace your team. Embrace your players, look past the obvious and you will enjoy it more.

We gonna start to critique football players manliness in here too?

UTSA2step likes this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Caserio is doing his best to turn this whole thing around but it will take time.

Nook likes this.
  15. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Idk y u have such high hopes for the guy BoB and easterby both want. Not rooting for him to fail but I'm quite skeptical

mario_v and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Just walk into his office with his 6 super bowl trophies and memorabilia.

And he isn’t just some apple that fell off the belichick tree either he help plant the tree with belichick in New England.

17. mario_v

mario_v Member

The patriot way is bullshit, it was all Brady.

Look at their draft history, it’s not good.

Frank Drebin and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I’m aware but to say the patriot way is bullshyt…I wonder if

Teddy B
    Willie McGinest
    Ty Law
    Etc Etc

Would all agree with you??

19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree. Lamar stretches the field differently, from sideline to sideline. That's why he is effective throwing in the middle of the field to his Tightends, also that's why so many of their long runs are up the middle. He stretch it, just differently.

I think all of the QBs you made mention of are all dual - threats, just that Lamar is elite at running. Passing is not is strong suite but he has gotten better. Much better.

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with this.
    And I will say if Lamar develops the more intricate details of QB play like multiple read progressions on all levels of the field, beating safeties with his eyes, ball placement and leading receivers. He will be in that upper echelon. But right now his biggest attribute is running.

Rudyc281 likes this.