1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Military State] Ferguson, MO

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by percicles, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

The video is only a few seconds long, cut, and being looped. Add the distance and quality of the recording, there is nothing to be gleamed about his medical condition.

2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

what are the legal reasons though? what right did officer wilson have to try and pull him into his car? I thought this was America...Don't you have the right to walk freely around America without being harassed by police and putting your life in danger if you don't agree to their Nazi protocol?

3. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

There's a video of a cop pointing his gun at the protesters saying they're gonna kill them.

4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

[​IMG]

5. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I thought the 5th circuit was one of the more conservative courts...

6. Remii

Remii Member

Seeing how most of you cops are on the donut patrol that's completely understandable.

7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Obviously the cop had no right to pull him into the car, unless he was attempting to arrest him and Michael Brown resisted. Today was the first time any witnesses (that I heard) have said the officer was trying to pull him into the car...why would an officer try to pull a guy into the car? That doesn't even make sense. Push him into the car? Yes. Pull him, means he is in the car too....why would you do that? This makes zero sense to me....

8. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

The cop in question has apparently been removed from Ferguson duty after intervention from the ACLU, and according to some reports has been suspended indefinitely.

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

actually his friend said the exact same thing when he was on tv

10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

KK, I missed it. Haven't been watching the news, just been reading about it.

Still doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm trying to imagine why an officer would do that? Seems like it would be putting him at an extreme risk...in fact this makes me believe the officers story more than the "witnesses." Just can't imagine what the reasoning would be to PULL someone into a car with you, especially if you were afraid of that person...can you think of a plausible scenario?

11. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

You still believe that he would try to pull someone in his patrol car? LoL I've never tried the two people in the front seat method.

They have typical made more conservative decisions, but have made plenty of liberal ones.

You're trying too hard bro.

You and I could be standing there facing each other with a pistol holstered. You don't move until I move. I will likely have the gun drawn and the trigger pulled before your gun has cleared the holster. Doesn't mean I'm a bad ass. It means you can't react quicker than someone's action. But you're so smart you already knew that.

12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Are you a cop?

I ask because I am wondering if what I heard a while back was true. Are officers trained to unload their clip? I was told officers were trained never to pull their gun out to try and scare someone, or to try and injure them, they are for lethal use only (after warning of course). So him firing 6 shots isn't that unusual, him hitting him 5/6 times was just good shooting.

Is that true?

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not a lawyer, but IIRC there is something called "investigative detention" where a cop can hold you temporarily, and the justification is much lower than probable cause.

Quick Google defines the threshold as "reasonable and articulatable suspicion", but I don't know that that is correct.. I'm sure the exact details of how it would work in Missouri are specific to Missouri.

14. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I believe that is correct, because in order to request an ID (or at least to be able to force someone to show ID) they must be detained or arrested. I remember this was a big deal with the guns rights people in Austin a few months ago. An APD officer asked someone with a gun to show him their license, the gunman schooled the officer on his rights, and the officer relented.

15. Remii

Remii Member

But Brown didn't have a gun so none of that matters...

And by the way... I wouldn't wait for you to move 1st ;)

16. The Law

The Law Member

We are trained to eliminate the threat. Only once in my life have I been in that situation and I fired 8 shots from my Glock 22 in a little less that 10 seconds.

There is not a law enforcement agency in the country that I am aware of that has any type of policy on how many shots you should take or when you should stop shooting.

And anyone who believes a cop should shoot an extremity or use a firearm as a "scare" tactic in any way just doesn't understand what a firefight consists of.

You shoot center mass, you continue to shoot until the threat is eliminated, end of story.

17. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

Being trained to unload your whole magazine is absolutely not true. As I said in an earlier post, in our last three shootings (can't think of last four), only one shot was fired in two of those. We shoot at least four times a year (only one of which is your run of the mill see how many times you can hit the paper to pass the TCOLE requirement), and the term any firearm instructor anywhere always say is, "You shoot until the threat is eliminated." There's no way you could ever place a restriction or mandate to such a dynamic situation.

You're correct in that you never pull a gun to scare someone or injure someone. I've pulled my gun several times but I didn't do it to scare someone. I was in a unpredictable situation (how was it dispatched?) and I don't want to have to react to someone's action. After all, an officer is the person who can take your liberty and we don't know if the guy has a blue warrant or has a dead body in his car.

If you pull the trigger, you had better believe your life is in danger and shooting the assailant is the only way to protect yourself (or a third party). I believe hitting a moving target is difficult in any situation and I think 6 out of 10 or whatever is very good (or lucky). In a tense situation, you don't have to luxury to look down the rail and align your sight picture the same way you do shooting paper targets.

Example of someone who was shot 12 times and lived, while high on PCP

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/0...ng-near-umd-campus-leaves-one-hurt-77621.html

Guy getting his ass beat with a baton and the taser didn't work
    http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83099420/

A well known incident where a guy was hit 17 times before he died

http://www.defensivecarry.com/documents/officer.pdf

18. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

When someone twice your size is coming at you, and he knows you have a gun (which may or may have not happened in Ferguson), you don't have a lot of time to analyze the situation and him not having a gun doesn't change it that much.

19. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Ok, your last sentence sounds like exactly what I had been told. I think I exaggerated a bit. Shoot center mass until the threat is eliminated.

Interesting, thanks.

I don't think the police are getting a fair hearing from the media. They shouldn't be asked to forgo their safety just because people don't like that they have extra equipment. I don't condone abusive behavior, but I'm not concerned with officers who have riot gear to protect themselves from an unruly crowd.

1 person likes this.
  20. Remii

Remii Member

The cop created the situation... With all of your police expertise that's the fact you keep missing.