1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MILITARY RECRUITMENT - 9/7 JOB FAIR IN THE ASTRODOME

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by No Worries, Sep 7, 2005.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

MILITARY RECRUITMENT - 9/7 JOB FAIR IN THE ASTRODOME
    NO SCAVENGING THE GULF COAST CRISIS TO BOOST THE DEPLETED RANKS OF THE MILITARY!

Stop the military from preying upon the vulnerable! Come educate youth dislocated from their lives and communities – facing homelessness, joblessness and often hopelessness – about the false promises of recruiters!

Doling out food to the hungry crowds overflowing Houston’s Astrodome, the National Guard has engaged in ad hoc recruiting in recent days. Tomorrow, September 7, 2005, the U.S. military is conducting a Job Fair in the Astrodome in a blatant effort to exploit the despair of masses of Americans evacuated from the Gulf Coast. Once signed up, even if purportedly to reconstruct their region, they could easily find themselves deployed to Iraq, left with medical coverage for only two for only combat-related injury and the expectations for training eviscerated. And if they sign up on the promise of temporary relief, they could find themselves bound for extended tours of duty. Download info from the formidable Counter-Recruitment resources on the United for Peace and Justice site. www.unitedforpeace.org. Come and speak truth to empower! Call for a real jobs program which employs people to reconstruct the entire Gulf Coast region for the benefit of those in need, not to pander to corporate greed!

2. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

That ain't right. :mad:

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If I was homeless and had no job I would no doubt join the military. There is no better way to get money to go to college or learn a skill trade for when your service is done. I know several friends that joined the navy, army, and marines and have a much better life than they would have had if they just went straight to work after high school.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

ummmm....the military is a job isn't it?

5. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I just don't think it proper (particularly when we are at war) to recruit hurricane victims for the military. Flame away...

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

fair enough...we have different opinions

7. cson

cson Contributing Member

THAT'S FUCT!

8. cson

cson Contributing Member

No you wouldn't.

sorry for the double post

9. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Nothing new. Wasn't the US military at Ellis Island during the Civil War "helping" immigrants fill out citizenship papers just before handing them their draft notice?

10. Major

Major Member

You think its OK to take people at the worst times of their life, when you know they are desperate and not thinking straight, promise them a job that they think involves rebuilding their home city, and then leave open the door to send them to a warzone?

This memo obviously comes from an anti-war source, so it's hard to say how accurate it is. But if it is, then that's a completely inappropriate use of the national guard.

11. The Real Shady

Don't speak for me.

12. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They know were at war, they know what they would be signing up for or could be signing up for....this is in no way taking advantage of a situation. It is just one possible job option those that have lost everything can look at, nothing wrong with that.

Any organization or company that has a job to offer should, let's not criticize every thing and every one that is trying to help........

13. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I don't know...Compared to New Orleans, Iraq looks pretty good

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

yes i think it's ok to recruit there. i said so earlier...phrase it however you want.

15. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

I think it's awesome. When I was screwed I enlisted and got my life straightened out in no time. I applaud the people that enlist.

16. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Its really not a bad option. Several of my friends had great military careers before entering civilian mode.

17. cson

cson Contributing Member

You're right Shady, sorry, can't speak for you. Can you speak for the homeless? Have you been homeless?

18. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

It may be a neccessary evil.... Their wont be enough jobs to go around, so for those who dont have ANY skill, they need to consider it.

19. The Real Shady

No. But if I was I sure wouldn't be for long. I would join the military if they would take me.

I wasn't saying that they should all join the military. I was simply stating if I was in their situation I would. People should be able to do whatever they want. I think this is an option that could help many families out.

20. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

My cousin joined the navy when he dropped out of college. The military paid for his schooling and he's now in his second year of law school at the top of his class. :)

The military is an employer, they are searching for applicants the same way companies visit and give free things away at colleges and graduate schools.

They are not being drafted but being offered. Its ironic how some people here don't believe in the freedom of choice.