1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mile High Tower

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Jun 18, 2013.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This has been a dream of architects since Frank Lloyd Wright and would be almost twice as tall as the current tallest building. It would be an amazing technical challenge that in construction and engineering terms would almost be like the Manhattan project.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...ies-for-mile-high-tower?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=5

Saudi billionaire prince eyes world cities for mile-high tower

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates -- Saudi billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal says he is looking at global cities, including New York, as possible locations to build a mile-high skyscraper that would be the world's tallest building by far.

The prince is inviting Dubai's biggest real estate developer Emaar Properties, chaired by Mohammed Alabbar, to team up with his investment firm Kingdom Holding on the project.

"Right now we are discussing and evaluating the possibility of building a one-mile tower," Alwaleed told Reuters by telephone late on Monday.

"We also need good partners. I invite Emaar and Mr. Alabbar to join forces with us and see how we can build the ultimate one-mile tower somewhere in the world."

Alwaleed did not say how the project would be financed if it went ahead, or when it might be completed. He said the cost had yet to be decided.

But his ambition reflects the growing confidence of many Gulf companies as they expand overseas, aided by booming economies and rising asset prices in their home countries.

"I am now inviting the major cities of the world like Shanghai, Moscow, New York, London and regional cities in the Middle East to come and give their offers," Alwaleed said.

He said countries interested in hosting the world's tallest tower would have to offer attractive financing terms, tax breaks and other government support.

Alabbar could not immediately be reached for comment. Over the past year, Emaar has committed itself to several other huge projects in Dubai and nearby countries.

Industry experts have said building a one-mile skyscraper would involve technical and design challenges, such as how to supply water economically at that height, but would not be impossible.

If it is built, the mile-high tower would surpass the world's current tallest skyscraper, the 2,717-foot Burj Khalifa in Dubai, as well as the 0.6-mile-high Kingdom Tower now being built by Kingdom Holding in the Saudi Arabian city of Jeddah.

The Kingdom Tower is expected to cost around $1.2 billion and will form part of a hotel, retail and luxury residential project.

The structure is expected to reach ground level by the end of this year and to be completed in 2017, said Talal Al Maiman, executive director at Kingdom Holding.

About 30 percent of useable land in the overall project, which will have an area of about 57 million square feet, will be allocated to hotels. The remainder will be divided equally between retail and premium residential space, Al Maiman added.

Kingdom Holding, which went public in 2007, has a market value of about $18.5 billion, making it one of the largest listed investment firms in the Middle East. Its assets include stakes in top Western firms such as Citigroup, News Corp and Twitter as well as luxury hotels around the world.

2. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

I'm not surprised but I will say that I don't care to step foot into something like that. I'm not afraid of heights but I wouldn't exactly call it enjoyable.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Anyone else feel a little bitter about the ridiculous amount of wealth these Saudis control simply due to their birth?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just develop alternative fuels and that will dry up.

DD

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

wow look at those huge penises.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Great to have massive towers, but
    1. who is gonna stay in these buildings, and
    2. why would you wanna stay in one of these buildings...

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

What are these arabs hiding up there?

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah bro, just do that.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

New York or London would never go for this. It would be so tall that it would ruin the rest of the skyline.

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

This would be approximately 500 floors minimum?

LOL....who the hell needs that? What if I was rich and dumb enough to buy a penthouse suite on like floor 485....what if I have to take my dog out to pee?

How do I bbq up there? I'm guessing you cant just walk out on the balcony?

11. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

High Ceilings. duh... :rolleyes:

:grin:

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If someone leaped from one of the highest floors, would they make a crater in a sidewalk? Hey, I'm all for the attempt at building the structure, as it isn't my money, and I'd love to see what they come up with, but I think it will be decades before such a tower would make economic sense. In other words, the handful of great cities in this world would have to get a lot more crowded than they are now, assuming it was built in one, instead of in the desert of a country on the Arabian Peninsula. And if the economy goes south where it's built by the time of completion? You'd have a situation far worse than that of the Empire State Building, which was largely empty for years due to the Great Depression. Yes, that situation eventually changed, but this thing would make that great tower look like a pimple on an elephant in comparison.

13. R0ckets03

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/73pfD-lNxJI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Why would anyone bbq up there? :confused:

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I build a mile high tower every time I lay down at the beach...

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

That's too damn tall. Aint nobody got time for that.

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This wouldn't go anywhere except Dubai. No American (or I'm guessing European) city would allow for this. It seems pretty impractical on a lot of different levels, but I would love to see their wind shear calculations on something like this.

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Houston's the perfect place...

not

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This might work better on the moon, where there's less gravitational pull.

20. R0ckets03

If they really wanna be cool, they should build this under water going down a mile. Now that would be bloody awesome!