1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Woodson interested in Rockets coaching position

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Audioout, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

No, it isn't.

2. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Hell no. But since Morey's in full tank mode, he's PERFECT

3. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Why all the Woodson hate?

The guy was pretty successful in Atlanta. He turned around a franchise. No idea why he got fired.

4. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

5. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Looks like you're right.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nba/110420-houston-rockets-mike-woodson

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Holy hell! Somebody else that obviously watches the Hawks a lot too. Spot on.

My thoughts from the other Mike Woodson thread:

Poor fit. Mind you, I follow the Hawks closely.

For whatever reason he often gets the label of a 'player's coach'. Why? I don't know. He's notorious for holding grudges, not trusting players and never worked with a bench deep enough in Atlanta to ever have the luxury of a doghouse.

What he excels at is keeping things together and coaching defense. He coached a team full of boneheads for six years and it was only until the last half of his final year in Atlanta that he finally lost control and the players quit on him. That's commendable in my book.

Offensively? He's not very good. He doesn't have a go-to-offense or system like most coaches do and he allows FARRRRRR too much ISO-ball. In other words: we're talking about the polar opposite of the Adelman motion offense.

Pass.

7. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I think the only two people Clutchfans would be happy with is...

1. Mario Elie
    2. Mike Budzinger (sp? The assistant from SA)

8. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

He wouldnt be bad but it would mean an entirely new direction play call wise and offense wise. I am not against it but not thrilled. There are other guys out there. Plenty who want this job. This is not like free agency where we are limited. You can have your pick pretty much of talented up and comers. Hope Morey and Les make the right choice.

9. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Woodson is NOT a Fit! He is horrible, DD can caoch better than Woodson and you know what I think of him!!;)

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Ummmm. i like Mario, the player, as much as the next Rockets fan, but why are people mentioning him as a head coaching candidate. He's pretty much unqualified and has no real record of success, right? can someone educate me on whether or not Mario Elie is a serious coaching candidate as well as his coaching track record?

11. Htown's2kFinest

We got a guy in Patterson who's been compared to Al Horford many times before. Woodson helped developed Horford, Smith and Johnson.

He might be the coach you win a championship with but we are far away from that. He, however, might be a coach that can get our guys to the next level and one that sees eye to eye with the FO. If he can do the similar things with Patterson, Chase Budinger aka Black Joe Johnson, and even Lowry, Thabeet and Williams... I wouldn't mind seeing him here.

12. mario_v

mario_v Member

No, please God, NOOOO!!!

13. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I think you are right. These two would be unanimous favorites off the bat. I kinda lean this direction actually.

14. Htown's2kFinest

*might not be

15. baller4life315

Really? I don't see that at all.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No thank you, and a no thank you to Brown, while I'm at it.

17. RocketMadness

RocketMadness Member

I want Rick back.

18. Htown's2kFinest

He can face up, play with his back to the basket, solid rebounder, solid team defender. Morey in the 2010 NBA Draft press conference even compared his size and length to Horford's when he came into the NBA.

Not saying at all that he will be the next Al Horford one day but if Woodson could mold Pat's game the way he did for Al, I'd would be happy with that.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I bet more people here would rather Mario coach the team over two proven coaches like Woodsen and Brown.

He has been a assistant coach though, but the other assistant coaches have been so under better head coaches than him.

20. baller4life315

Well, Horford is a much better rebounder and Pat Pat doesn't have much of a post game yet. I guess I'm allowing myself to be too dismissive based off of those two points alone.

Mid-range jumper? Okay.
    Help defense? Yeah I can see it.
    Measurements? Fair enough.

Pat Pat has a lot of work to do, though. Plus, Horford isn't a finished product either. I guess we'll see what happens.