1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Vick Indicted

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by MadMax, Jul 17, 2007.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If this is true and he never plays again...

...the Vick family the biggest waste of athletic talent of all time? I can't think of any other brother/father-son tandem that was as athletically talented as Marcus and Michael only to crap out so horribly.

2. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

don't mess with me max

[​IMG]

3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

you didn't respond to his best point...the meth-lab comparison

(yet, this is as far as I have read)

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

awesome! :D

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I wonder that too. I'm serious. . If I had a friend or family member in this position . . . I feel It would be my personal Obligation to kick the sh*t out him to cut this sh*t out!

I think SOMEONE in the VICK family would has slapped him and his brother around about now .. . . Cut this sh*t out.

I'm not saying he guilty of the crimes. . but he is stupid for even being near it. The stupidity irratates me.

I have a low tolerance for animal cruelty. I don't put it on the same scale as a person but it is pretty high to me. As someone stated. . . doing this to a dog isn't too too too too far from doing it to Humans.

Rocket River

6. Major

Major Member

More details connecting him directly to various parts of this according to the indictment:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/07/18/vick/index.html

(CNN) -- Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick will go before a federal court in Richmond, Virginia, next week on charges that he participated in a dogfighting ring spanning at least nine states, the court said Wednesday.

Vick will attend a bond hearing before U.S. District Judge Dennis W. Dohnal on July 26 before heading to an arraignment in front of U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson, according to the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.

The Falcons are slated to kick off training camp on the same day.

Vick, 27, and three others were indicted Tuesday on charges of conspiracy in a dogfighting operation that included transporting pit bulls across state lines for illegal prize fights.

If convicted on the federal charges, Vick could find himself behind bars for up to six years, in addition to being fined $350,000, according to the federal court.

According to the 19-page indictment, Vick and his co-defendants are accused of training pit bulls and organizing prize fights in which dogs that weren't up to snuff were executed, sometimes by hanging or electrocution.

The Falcons star went by the code name "Ookie" and participated in or OK'd the killing of numerous dogs, the indictment states. Vick and his co-defendants killed eight dogs as recently as April, the indictment states.

Some dogs were killed after being "rolled," a process by which dogs are tested to determine if they are ferocious fighters. However, in one case, a female pit bull was injured in a fight that cost Vick and his co-defendants $13,000, according to the indictment.

After Vick was consulted about the canine's condition, one of his co-defendants "executed the losing dog by wetting the dog down with water and electrocuting the animal," the indictment states.

Various other methods were used to kill dogs that fought or tested poorly, including hanging, drowning, shooting, and in at least one case, slamming the dog to the ground, the indictment says.

The indictment alleges that the Falcons phenom and his cohorts engaged in other disturbing practices and that a raid on a home in Virginia uncovered items like "breaking sticks" -- used for prying fighting dogs' jaws apart -- and a "rape stand" used to tie down aggressive female dogs for breeding.

Fifty-four American pit bull terriers also were found on the property during the April 25 raid on the Smithfield, Virginia, home formerly owned by Vick, according to the indictment. Smithfield is about 30 miles west of the Norfolk area where Vick grew up.

Vick allegedly paid $34,000 for the home in June 2001, several weeks after the Falcons drafted him. Soon after, he and his cohorts began buying and training pit bulls for a fighting and breeding outfit called "Bad Newz Kennels," according to the indictment.

Details of several fights are included in the indictment, which states that pit bulls with names like "Maniac," "Trouble" and "Junior Mafia" were pitted against each other for pots ranging from $1,000 to $26,000, the indictment states.

The indictment further states that about $112,000 was exchanged over the outcomes of 16 fights featuring dogs owned or handled by "Bad Newz Kennels."

Twice, the indictment states, Vick personally delivered the kitty to the winning dogs' owners. On one occasion around March 2003, Vick handed over a book bag filled with $23,000 to a dog owner who had won two fights that day.

The indictment says the unnamed dog owner is now one of at least three cooperating witnesses in the case against Vick and his co-defendants.

Vick did not immediately comment on the indictment, but he has previously said that he had a kennel operation on the property, but had no involvement in or knowledge of a dogfighting ring.

No arrest warrants have been issued, and Vick and the other defendants -- Purnell Peace, 35, of Virginia Beach, Virginia; Quanis Phillips, 28, of Atlanta, Georgia; and Tony Taylor, 34, of Hampton, Virginia -- have not been taken into custody, said Jim Rybicki, a spokesman for U.S. Attorney Chuck Rosenberg.

Vick, a dazzling prospect from Virginia Tech, was taken at the No. 1 spot in the National Football League's 2001 draft. In December 2004, he signed a 10-year contract extension with the Falcons worth a potential $130 million. The deal included a $37 million signing bonus.

Falcons officials said Tuesday they were troubled by the charges against Vick.

"Our club and team will continue to be tested as Michael works through the legal process toward a conclusion," the Falcons said in a statement. "We are prepared to deal with it, and we will do the right thing for our club as the legal process plays out."

The statement added, "We are disappointed that one of our players -- and therefore the Falcons -- is being presented to the public in a negative way, and we apologize to our fans and the community for that."

This is not the first time the highest-paid player in the NFL has been presented in a negative light.

He has been accused of transmitting genital herpes to a woman and using the alias Ron Mexico so he could get treated secretly for the ailment. He earned the ire of his hometown fans after flipping them the bird after a Falcons loss.

He was criticized for missing a chance to speak on Capitol Hill about after-school programs. And earlier this year, authorities investigated Vick after confiscating a water bottle with a secret compartment containing a substance that Miami airport authorities said looked and smelled like mar1juana.

A National Football League spokesman said the latest allegations against Vick would be reviewed under the NFL's personal conduct policy.

"We are disappointed that Michael Vick has put himself in a position where a federal grand jury has returned an indictment against him," said spokesman Brian McCarthy. "We will continue to closely monitor developments in this case and to cooperate with law enforcement authorities."

7. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

I suspect at least a suspension, really it wouldnt surprise me if Goodell doesnt even wait to take action. This media coverage is going to get ridiculous, thus making the NFL look bad which is exactly what he doesnt want. Really, Goodell doesnt have to wait for the due process to be played out, he can choose to suspend him if he wants. As others have said, even if Vick isnt guilty, the fact his name is the owner of property doing this stuff is ridiculous enough.

8. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

A suspension is all but a guarantee in my opinion. I can't see Roger Goodell allowing Mike Vick to suit up and go through the weekly interrogation from reporters all over the country and become bigger than the actual game.

9. updawg

updawg Member

I don't think the NFL will take action. I would think the Falcons will cut him and no other team will touch him. Arthur Blank has got to be hating this, as well as home depot. The NFL will probably work behind the scenes to help the falcons cut him loose.

10. super_mario

super_mario Member

I wonder if this will be covered on Weekend Update.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RjtVnqZCndo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RjtVnqZCndo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

11. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

So cutting him would equal just punishment for the accusations? Jones was not cut from the Titans, Henry was not cut from the Bengals why do you think Vick would be cut? I think he would be too good of an option for some team to pass up if he were released. Remember Terrell Owens?

12. MadMax

this so far exceeds what Owens has done. Owens is a bad teammate. if these allegations are correct, Vick is running an organized crime ring surrounding dog fighting that has covered at least 9 states.

13. thegary

^^^LOL
    i was gonna respond but figured i'd let someone else handle it.
    lo and behold

we really should stop meeting like this, people are gonna think we're sweet on each other :eek:

14. MadMax

[​IMG]

15. thegary

dude. no team will sign him. in fact there would probably be an under-the-table agreement between goodell and the owners to that effect.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you really can't believe that. when has any player with that kind of talent been blackballed. if he's available and not suspended, he'll be somewhere, don't be naive

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Vick personally delivered the kitty to the winning dogs' owners.
    ______

[​IMG]

18. thegary

wanna bet?
    i think it's you who is being naive.

19. updawg

updawg Member

I think you're being a little naïve on the negative impact vick the dogkiller is to the business of the NFL.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yes I'm sure the las vegas sports books will be empty if vick is allowed to play. people are gonna stop watching just like when ray lewis was involved in the actual murder of human beings. people stopped watching then also. you're right.