1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Sherman to be Fired

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by greatpacha1, Dec 1, 2011.

1. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

2. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

That is so funny/awesome I don't know if I'm supposed to lol again or just lol again. JFC, lol.

5. TISNF

TISNF Member

Very difficult as there's less than a handful of elite coaches, none of which are available. I think it's silly to suggest hiring Smart is being "Alabama-lite"; why would you not want to give a guy a shot who has a high-level of experience from the best coach in the nation?

I'd rather take chances on smart (or even Malzahn) than Sumlin. You HAVE to be defensive-minded to win the big games -- and nearly every game in the SEC is a big game.

6. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Coaches I would want Texas A&M to look at even though I know they will not:

Charlie Strong
    Mark Stoops
    Bud Foster
    Greg Mattison
    Pat Marduzzi
    Ed Orgeron (if he hires a decent Off Coordinator)

7. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I saw that. I'm very pissed bout the whole thing. Stupid board of regents do not learn same idiotic plan they have used now three times in a row. At this point, I'm just waiting for 20 years when they will hopefully be all replace with people who know due process, how to fire someone, and how not to allow every stupid thing you do be leaked to the media.

8. aggie87

aggie87 Member

I wanted Smart over Sumlin but the more I think about it, I realize how big a gamble it is...Smart has some of the best talent in the country on that Bama team

9. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

NO! Please not sumlin...freaking get us a gah dang SEC coach..please!

10. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm sitting here imagining what a SNL Weekend Update: Really?!? segment would look about Texas A&M Football this past 6 months.

Would be hilarious, but sadly we are no where near relevant to deserve it.

11. aggie87

aggie87 Member

you cant just hire a "defensive minded" coach and have an improved defense, defense relies heavily on talent as opposed to offense which has more to do with schemes...

LSU and Alabama always win the recruiting battles for 5 star defensive linemen, they are a rare commodity like good 7 foot NBA centers which is why they have the top defense every year.....the only way to get those recruits is to recently win a national championship or bribe the recruits

12. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Even more than that. Great defenses have great depth. There is little drop off between subs and starters. You really have to recruit well for a while and have guys who can execute the system out their.

You have to have the right coach who can not only get those defensive recuits, but also coach them up. Haven't had that at A&M for sometime. Not since they used to call A&M the second Linebacker U after PSU in the 90's.

13. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

To be honest, I am not sure about Sumlin and whether it is a good hire. The only positive I know about him is that he would most definitely be able to keep our stellar recruiting class together. Beyond that, I have more questions than answers.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Trust me, I'm not worried about it. I was just responding to the post telling me it had been paid off.

But I do think it's crazy that a public university can make a no interest loan from its general fund supplied by public funds to its athletic department.