1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Mike Miller Race

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine · 2h
    Denver has had best financial offer on the table for Mike Miller. But Rockets, Mavs and now Cavs farther down winning path he's said to seek

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine · 2h
    ESPN sources say Houston and Dallas have barged into the Mike Miller race trying to keep LeBron's sharpshooter buddy from choosing Cleveland

Here we go against Dallas again! Lock if already posted.

2. aumate

aumate Member

Been posted a few threads down. Feigen also said long shot. Probably will end up with Cleveland seeing as James was pissed with the Heat for letting him go.

3. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

is he healthy enough to play?

4. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Played 82 games last year.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Miller is a massive defensive liability at this point, and we certainly don't need any of those regardless of shooting prowess.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This Mike Miller thing has me interested for one reason in particular.

The type of contract the Rockets offer him will tell you alot about their 12 month plan. If the length extends guaranteed money beyond this year than that tells us that 2015 free agency as it stands is completely off the table for a close to or near max player, and they are going to be specifically focused on trades.

I think that opens up the possibility that they might do an Ilyasova, Thad Young, or whomever type of trade if they feel like the contract value is tradable. Get someone that can fit in that trade exception perfectly so they have variety of salaries with decent players that expire in 2015 at the latest.

If its a 1 year guaranteed deal than it still looks like they might hold out hope for 2015 free agency.

7. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

This man will knock down 3's. Hope he does take a look at us.

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Wasn't Mike and Dwight big buddies back in Orlando?

9. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Interesting thoughts. I like Miller and w/o Parsons, he would become a solid 3 rotation behind Ariza. With Miller and Daniels coming off the bench, that would be a pretty nice 3PT duo. Of course our D would suck!

10. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Makes me think back to before we'd traded Kevin Martin when we were looking at him as an option when he was with Washington.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Better than Garcia

12. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

but years before last he wasn't
    hope not another brent barry type signing

13. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

That's why Ariza is a good fit ...so our D doesn't suck.

14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Roger, I was referring to the bench rotation of Miller and Daniels.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think people are remembering those last two years in Miami when Miller was playing with a jacked up back. His defense isn't defiant, but it was much better last year as he was much healthier and had better lateral quickness.

You know what is though that the Rockets desperately need.... rebounding. One of the best rebounding wings in the league over the past years, and he's great at moving the basketball. Fills our needs extremely well.

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

He's not coming here period.

17. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

those role players won't come here

18. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Money talks. Rockets have $10mil to burn now. Problem is Morey will only offer him a 1 year contract.

19. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I've wanted him for years, hope this one goes our way!

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I am pretty sure Mike Miller's race is Caucasian.

Anyhow, Morey will try to sign Miller, but only under a contract structure that works for the team, I'm sure. Probably willing to go higher upfront $ but only for 1 year guaranteed with 2nd year non-guaranteed. Assets and flexibility and all. Denver is reported to offer $12M over 3 years, with Cavs offering $5.5M over 2 years (Room Exception). I wonder what Morey is willing to do. Full Midlevel? A portion of it? A S&T with the Lin TPE? Go the cap room route? What do we need to reserve to keep Daniels?

Dallas only has the room exception, after having created and spend cap room to sign Parsons, right?

Houston can conceivably be a nice "middle ground" for Miller, with more $ to offer than the Cavs (unless the Cavs do a S&T, maybe sending a young player to MEM) and better chance at winning than Denver.

If Mike Miller goes elsewhere, why not try to get Delfino? I don't think MIL would demand too much for him.

#20 Carl Herrera, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014