1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Krzyzewski to coach men's olympic and world championship team

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by A-Train, Oct 13, 2005.

1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Looks like Colangelo is already making an impact. Instead of selecting the current flavor of the month NBA coach, he's getting a coach that has stressed team basketball and fundamentals his entire career. The only concern is whether he can handle the NBA egos. Personally, I think Jeff Van Gundy would be a good assistant...

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=2188719

NEW YORK -- Duke's Mike Krzyzewski was picked to coach the U.S. basketball team for the 2006 world championships and 2008 Beijing Olympics, a person familiar with the decision told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

The Hall of Famer was chosen during a USA Basketball conference call last week, said the person, who did not wish to be identified because the announcement has not been made. Official word was supposed to come Oct. 29.

The American men are trying regroup after finishing sixth at the 2002 world championships in Indianapolis and third at the 2004 Olympics. The team at the Athens Games was without several top NBA players and was coached by Larry Brown.

Those teams were the first not to win gold medals in World Championship or Olympic competition since play was opened to professionals.

The U.S. Olympic Committee had no comment Wednesday. USA Basketball media relations director Craig Miller wouldn't confirm or deny the report but said he wasn't told to have an announcement pending anytime soon.

The USA Basketball executive committee holds its annual meeting Nov. 9-10 in Colorado Springs, Colo., where members are expected to go over budget and other issues, including possibly confirming the choice for the next head coach.

Sources told ESPN.com that the next staff of the World Championship team would be split with two NCAA and two NBA coaches.

Krzyzewski, who led Duke to three national championships, would be become the first college coach to run a U.S. men's basketball team at the worlds or Olympics since NBA players began playing in such competition in 1992.

Krzyzewski was an assistant on the U.S. Dream Team at the 1992 Barcelona Games that was coached by Chuck Daly.

The appointment was first reported by USA Today.

Duke spokesman Jon Jackson told the AP the school would not comment on the report. He said Krzyzewski is out of town and unavailable for comment until Friday, when the team holds is preseason media day.

The USA Basketball selection committee is led by Jerry Colangelo, chief executive officer of the Phoenix Suns.

Krzyzewski will coach a team of NBA players possibly mixed with college talent -- players Colangelo has said he expects to make a commitment to the World Championships in Japan and Olympics in Beijing.

The U.S. will play in 2007 if it doesn't win the 2006 World Championships and qualify for the Olympics. So, this could be a three-summer coaching and playing commitment for the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Training camp for the 2006 World Championships in Japan would begin the last week of July, likely on the West Coast.

2. RocketsFAN3035

I think Coach K is the perfect fit for this gig. Who else has the credentials he's got? I think a lot of NBA guys will at the very least respect him because of his winning attitude. I'm currious who will be on the team though. That is the biggest thing. Personally, I think Elton Brand will be a shoe in. But, that's a Dukie talking Duke. I know he was one of K's favorite guys.

Side note: Why wasn't this a good hire?? Chad Ford (yeah, I know) said this was not the right decision at all in chat on espn a few weeks ago. He said D'Atoni of the Suns should be it because of all his experience in Europe. While I think Coach K should bring him on staff because of that expierience, I think it'd be foolish to just say because he has been there, he'll do great. What has he done here to make USA players respect him? Who knows how the Suns will do this season. This will really let us see how good of a coach he is I think.

3. sime0n

sime0n Member

Duke Sucks. Coach K is Ok.

4. RocketsFAN3035

yes, they do, don't they? Just remind me of that come March

5. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

In that case howabout Bobby Knight?

Only partially kidding. I would get a kick out of seeing Bobby Knight abusing some of the NBA stars.

6. RocketsFAN3035

This sounds like a reality show on HBO that I would without question watch

7. rednene

rednene Member

Congrats to Mike Krzyzewski! He now joings Martha Kostyra, a.k.a. Martha Stewart as the most successful Polish-American.