1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike James - Who? (James venting in SLAM interview)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by moomoo, Feb 3, 2006.

1. moomoo

moomoo Member

I can't find ths online, so I'll just type out the notable quotes.

If anybody else feels like typing up the whole article it's up to you.

<hr>[On being moved around the league like he's "just a journeyman":] "I don't get my credit in this game. It's like dating a female that you love but don't love you."
    [...]
    "When I got to Houston, Jeff [Van Gundy] said, 'I just want you to play your game," Mike says, recalling his stint with the Rockets last season. "After my first five games, I was averaging 18, 5, and 6. But before the sixth game, Jeff said, 'Mike, you're not starting. Bobby Sura is. The way you came into this game, you should be thankful you're where you are.' What does how I came in got to do with what I'm doin' now!? We were down by 10 but still beat Phoenix by 20. I had 14--in the second half."
    [...]
    ...Mike was traded for Alston. He left hurt--and with a theory: "I believe they felt I was gonna interfere with T-Mac and Yao, try and take their shine," he speculates. "Last summer I said to T-Mac, the All-Star Game is in Houston, Yao got all the Asian votes. You gonna help me become an All-Star? This was my opportunity to be the third weapon and help the Rockets."
    [...]
    "I'm one of those dudes that appears to be not great at anything, but I'm good at everything," he says. "People think anybody can do what Mike James does--'til I'm gone."

(Article written by Bonsu Thompson in SLAM No.96, April 2006 issue)
    <hr>

Thought this was interesting so just wanted to toss it out there for general consumption.

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Miss him. Miss his fire. He brought toughness.

3. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

Man he needs to give it up. He is getting the chance to go crazy over there, which is more than he could have done here. Why cant he just be happy that he landed in a situation like that. Its his contract year, now he can get paid.

I dont second guess that trade at all. Granted we could use him now, but no one could have predicted how this season has gone w/ the injuries.

4. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

ok mike james needs a reality check he is averaging 16 points 5 assists and 3 rebounds per game on a team that has a far better shot at the top pick than sniffing the playoffs in the eastern conference.

On top of that he is in his contract year, and its a well known fact that player production can often spike in a contact year, look at eric dampier. Albiet i wouldn't mind him putting up career numbers here, and his scoring could have been well used, seeing the way rafer handles the offense with everyone almost back looks alot better.

5. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Oh Mike... You were my favorite rocket last year , but you had to go. You poor thing, I even named myself after you , :cool:

6. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I like MJ, nothing against him, his fiery personality was a nice adrenaline shot for us last season...hopefully Sura will give us that once he's back.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Should have kept him, he was WAY better than Alston.

And I was for the trade....BAD Dakota...bad !

DD

8. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Depends what your needs are. When we have our full squad healthy, Alston is a better fit and helps us out more.

9. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Yes, and I think the Rockets are a team in need of an offensive boost especially in the form of a third scorer. James brings that more than Alston does.

10. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

At Least Mike would have MADE all of those wide open 3's rafer misses

11. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

But when did Mike James ever get more assists for others than he did shots for himself? For all his 'spark' and scoring, the Rockets offense plain stagnated when he was out there. And for the relatively healthy squad we had last year, the thing we needed least was a Steve Francis lite.

Alston's been getting a lot of open looks but his shots aren't falling. Sooner or later, they will. And then we will all be glad that we have a pass first point guard that doesn't take shots away from our max contract center and our franchise guard.

And btw, I do feel kinda bad for him after reading his comments. Dude sounded like he was really hurt.

#11 ToothYanker, Feb 3, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  12. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

The Rapts traded Rose, first round pick and cash to the Knicks for Antonio Davis, word is the Rapts were trying to move James too. I don't know why teams are always trying to get rid of the guy but they are.

MJ might have a chance at sticking in Toronto though, Chris Bosh is lobbying for MJ to stay.

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I have an idea why, in his quotes he sounds like kind of a selfish jerk.

14. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Mike James. Uggh. Thinking of him is like thinking of a great sexy woman you once dated but decided to dump so you could date around more and see whats out there, only to realize what you once had.

15. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Trading Mike James was never about this year, it was about the next few. James was looking for money, and with Yao/TMac on board, someone else could give him more. Next year and the year after, and the one after that ... that's when this trade will look awfully good.

16. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

My memory of MJ is of him missing a lot of wide open 3's, hitting a lot of difficult shots (including 3s). His inconsistency is what drove me crazy. He is a superb spark off the bench but I don't think he is a good starter on a contender. He is a good starter on a weak team, like Toronto.

17. 12stonestool

12stonestool Member

I like him always will interesting "take their shine" i believe it bc there had to be something behind the trade. Shoulda kept him maybe we could have gotton rafer as another gaurd say wesley and bowen for alston keeping james but then again we coudla kept JJ but traded him for wesley bc we just wanted to give up Boki when we could have offered another player far less important than JJ now DA was supposed to come in and avg. 12-13 a game and pull down a couple boards and couple assists just play hard but again we lose when we were trying to win on cheaper dollars but whatever cd spend your money just get us 4 championships in 6 yrs. Peace.

18. ansarisu

ansarisu Contributing Member

Mike James is gone and I am happy.

He was that "No no no no no....OK....it went in" -guy who made me nervous.

But he did try hard.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

That saying pretty much applies to everybody on our team outside of Yao and T-Mac. If I had a dime for everytime i've yelled the word "PASS" at the TV everytime Howard, Bowen, Alston, Swift or whoever set their feet to shoot, i'd be a millionaire.

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

mike james would have given us atleast a few more wins with all the injuries we've had, but on a healthy squad i think rafer is showing he can be valuable atleast as a passer. obviously those two will always be compared but honestly i'd much rather have bob sura than either of them.