1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike James: "I've Never Been Treated Like This"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Hilltopper, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Contributing Member

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2010/1/22/1265634/mike-james-on-his-2009-10-season

Mike James on his 2009/10 season: "I've never been treated like this"

WASHINGTON -- It was one of the early days of training camp, and Mike James looked great. He had shed 25 pounds and was running around the Virginia Commonwealth gym like he was a new player. Flip Saunders proclaimed him one of the surprises of training camp, joking that James was allowed to keep his shirt off because he reported to camp in excellent shape.

Now, halfway through the regular season, James sits in his locker, shoulders slumped to the ground. He's appeared in one game all season, and that was against the Indiana Pacers in a blowout loss in early November. The team's starting point guard and third-string point guard have been suspended, and a journeyman formerly of the Italian League is the team's backup point guard. The frustration was palpable on James' face.

"This is the toughest situation of my career," James says. "I've never been treated like this."

James is upset that he hasn't even received a chance to play. He figured that he would get his chance after an impressive training camp, but that chance hasn't come. Now, he's frustrated and he says he hasn't been given an explanation.

"I was one of the best guards in training camp," James says, later adding that "[the Wizards] haven't given me a reason why I don't play."

James is trying to stay positive, saying several times that he's still working hard (first to the gym, last to leave) and that adversity only makes him stronger. He's used to this kind of treatment, so he'll keep pushing on until he gets his chance. But he also admitted he's thought of what it would be like if he was elsewhere.

"At the end of the day, I've been mocked a lot in my career. This ain't the first time I've been mocked. But, everyone that's mocked me, at some point, they've respected me."

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

He's been ISO-ed by Flip! :grin:

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

At least he's got a moderately good attitude about it. I wouldn't mind seeing him get some playing time.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He lost 25 lbs? So he was 25 lbs overweight the last season?

5. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

It's funny! LOL, he must have really pissed off Flip to not even play when the 1st and the 3rd string pg are suspended.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL nothing about Mike James the player ever really made sense to me. I mean, the guy played like one of the best guards in Toronto, then inexplicably dropped in Minny. We got him as the Rafer replacement, but he ended up getting schooled by someone who shoots 35% from the field. Now he plays well again, but is not getting any PT even though he had an impressive training camp, and the Wiz desperately need a pg.

Anyway, I suspect team chemistry/his attitude has something to do with it. For some reason, MJ seems to rub players the wrong way. I remember J. Howard getting pissed at him during a game, and JH is one of the most professional guys out there.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It makes perfect sense. In Toronto, he played with a chip on his shoulder the entire season because of being traded and the fact he was due a new contract. Once the ink was dry, he turned back into Mr. Flako and ticked off nearly everybody on the T-Wolves with his big mouth, including KG.

He's been Mr. Flako ever since. Mike James is one of the weirdest guys I've followed in the NBA. Clearly he's done something to irk Flip Saunders and maybe their other players. I'm not defending Flip here, but just saying if Mike James has a dispute with anyone, it's probably a Mike James problem and not the other person. I have zero respect for the guy.

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Let's pump the brakes a bit here. We're talking about a player that's taken quite the remarkable journey to get to the NBA. You, of all people, should appreciate that given how many talented punks we see that have had silver platters from day one that usually don't come close to sniffing their potential. Simply stated: he got the most out of his abilities. He's a guy that was barely recruited out of HS, earned himself a Division I scholarship, went undrafted, went overseas to prove himself in the European leagues en route to earning himself a legit look in pro's. The rest (both good and bad) is history.

You can dislike him for his attitude but saying you have no respect for him is being a tad bit harsh (and unreasonable).

But anyway, you know you're my boy 3PO. I just happen to be a much bigger Mike James fan than I do a fan of you. Unless, of course, you happened to have graduated from my alma mater too. :p

9. Tiger23

Tiger23 Member

I feel for ya Mike, keep ur head up its not u, Flip is a dumass dude

10. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

He's a ballhog, plain and simple lol

11. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

:confused:
    Nice reporting.

12. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I agree with your post

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

Sadly NBA players are like prostitutes, age is not friend.

1 person likes this.
  14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I appreciated MJ's journey as a guy who worked very hard to get good enough to succeed in the NBA, but he lost me completely after signing with the T-Wolves. For me, that's when he changed from being a sympathetic figure who was a little eccentric to being a delusional, self-worshipper who lost touch with reality. Actually, it started near the end of his season with the Raptors when he opened his mouth a few times too many.

Yes, my opinion changed that radically about him.

15. Slimjim19

Slimjim19 Member

Wizards don't need another guy who needs the ball in his hands to score. They already had (at the beginning of the season) Arenas, Jamison, and Butler. I actually thought before they traded their draft pick away that if they got Rubio, they would have been a dominant team this year. Too bad they traded that pick away for Miller (injury prone) and Foye (who hasn't turned out too bad)...not to mention Rubio stayed in Europe. It just didn't work out for the Wizards.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

he deserves some respect for actually wanting to play and play well. Other guys may have just said "oh well im getting my millions anyway" and just kept their mouth shut. He's not saitisfied with just collecting a check and riding the bench, there's something to respect about that.

NBA players are still overpaid though :grin:

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

It is somewhat surprising for them to not play him AT ALL considering he was their starting PG last season

18. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Not to beat a dead horse, but I will obviously...

But we had a guy like that here too. Wanted to play for his check and spoke up about it. Look where he is now. We sure could use him at SG instead of that no-shooting dude in the #1 jersey.

Here is a hint: he used to wear that #1 jersey.

I am just saying.

19. Chamillionaire

honestly, who cares. this is hardly news. we're talking about an over the hill ballhog point guard on one of the worst teams in the league. carry on...

20. Faos

Faos Contributing Member