1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike James is busy bricking

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by doublebogey, Apr 14, 2008.

1. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

It seems Mike James is busy bricking on and off the court. Of course, off the court, Mike James is bricking to build house. Well, the Rockets should be proud sponsor of Mike James future retirement plan. ;)

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

Reads like an PR aticle. :)

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Is it an or a? I get confused at the usage of an with consonants. I know if it makes a vowel sound then it's an, but it's not always that clear cut. As you can see, I really could care less about Mike James.

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yeah, welcome to New York.

5. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

Superstar Guard Mike James :rolleyes: lol

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

My English teacher told me it's about how the very next word sound, not about how it spells or about the noun that it is connected to. So it is a PR article.

7. Blue Brick

Blue Brick Member

He Probably wrote it himself..

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No doubt about it!

9. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Oh stop drinking the haterade already! The guy has done well for himself, and is a good family man who hasn't made a habit of getting into trouble off the court. I respect him and his work ethic that got him where he is now. The guy had a rough road to the NBA but he stayed focused and made the best of his opportunities in life.

I respect him, regardless of your opinion of him as a player...

10. johnmvp

johnmvp Rookie

Self proclaimed super star :eek:

11. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Super star :confused:

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

if you are what you say you are

13. joshbo90

joshbo90 Member

perfect job for him putting bricks on a house

14. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

I'm happy that Mike is focused and ambitious enough to dive into something like this, but does he really know what it takes to run a 'home developing' company? Whatever the hell that means.... Also, methinks MAJA might be the a poor name choice.

Just cause you did an awesome job on your own home doesn't mean you are the expert....

Oh, well. I hope it works for him.

15. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Well, your English teacher get this right, at least. Not too many English teacher in America can do that. :D

16. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

That's what I've always though, but I constantly see the phrase "an historic" in the media. It drives me insane.

17. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

always heard you use a if the following word begins with a consonant, and an if the following word begins with a vowel.

18. muffdaddy

muffdaddy Member

Actually "an historic" is proper usage. But you can use "a historic" also. Depends on your pronunciation of historic...

People used to pronounce historic like "istoric" (the Queen's English) - so historic actually began with a vowel sound.

http://www.wordinfo.info/words/index/info/view_unit/3431

"Before "h" in an unstressed or weakly stressed syllable, "a" and "an" are both used in writing (an historic, a historic) but an is more usual in speech, whether the "h" is pronounced or not. This variation exists as a result of historical development; in unstressed and weakly stressed syllables, "h" was formerly not pronounced in many words as it is currently pronounced by many people. A few words; such as, historic and (especially in England) hotel, are in transition, and may be found with either a or an. Apparently, people may now choose the article that suits their personal pronunciation preferences with several h words."

19. muffdaddy

muffdaddy Member

http://www.wordinfo.info/words/index/info/view_unit/2858/?letter=C&spage=19

"The correct choice of the “articles” a and an depends on the initial sound of a word, not on the initial letter, of the word that they precede. The letter a should be used before all words beginning with a consonant sound except silent h (an honor) and before words beginning with vowels that represent combined consonant and vowel sounds (university, unit). Examples: a boy, a European, a j, a picture, a store, a table, a bottle, a window, a phone, a hyphen,and a one-horse town."

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Dude is building in H-town -- should be getting props on his wise decision making skillz.