1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike James decision possibly on July 11th

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pandaemonaeon, Jul 7, 2006.

1. akuma

akuma Member

teams are not going to give their best offer first. that's common business sense. of course one of the remaining teams is going to offer at least 4 years. it might be in Houston's best interest to offer at least 4 years to make their offer look more attractive than the others'. the real question is what if the other teams do indeed offer the full MLE for 5 years? then the Rockets don't have a clear advantage anymore besides "perceived" ones. i.e. close to "home", supposedly more playing time (MJ might actually believe that he could earn himself a starting role with the Mavs if not a 6th man position), etc.

if another team offers 4 years, the Rockets shouldn't even blink. they should offer 5 years, and if MJ doesn't take it, screw him. time for wretched plan B which might as well be plan Z or Omega or whatever. but at all costs, they shoudn't be blatantly disrespectful in the negotiating process. Ben Wallace and Tim Thomas left their teams so quickly for more money. Tim Thomas was perceived to really like it in Phoenix, and seemed willing to take less, but it didn't turn out that way. his offer in L.A. was only about a million dollars more. even Cassell almost left the Clippers until they were forced to immediately give their best offer. it may seem that players are all about the money, but their pride is probably even more important. just look at Sprewell.

also, i don't think Houston can offer an no trade clause unless Mike James has played at least 4 (not necessarily consecutive) seasons for the Rockets. if you ask me, a no trade clause is worse for a GM than more years or more money in a contract. it (obviously) makes a player untradeable, whether he plays great or terribly. it should only be offered if that is the ONLY way a great player can be re-signed.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

before free agency started i just assumed it would take the entire mle for the longest possible length to get james. obviously we'd try to shorten the years but i'd me more then happy to have him for the next five years and get this thing signed.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Win Now! Offer James the TE and 6 years. Let Dallas compete with that.

4. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

fact of the matter, 3 years 4 years or 5 years, he can always be traded and every team in the league has at least one contract they wish they could give away.

On the court he will provide more in the next 2 years than we will find for MLE money. We need to get a move on this and start working on using that TE

5. rserina

rserina Member

I am still fairly new to the salaray and cap structure in this league (the NFL is so much easier to figure out!), but this seems like a fairly logical way to look at it. If James were to decline appreciably in the next two years, then we might kick ourselves, but this guy has very little tread on his tires, had his best output as a 30-year old on a rather poor team, and has never missed double-figure games with injury. He is probably worth the risk at five years.

I also think beating out Minnesota for James might work to our advantage in another way: we could potentially do a sign-and-trade for a younger, more athletic Marcus Banks, sending them Rafer Alston in return. They need a veteran to help out Foye and Alston would fit the bill while getting starters minutes, but a sign-and-trade would give Banks starter money for a rotational role with James; Banks would also be considered our future at the one, whereas Minny would make him a placeholder until Foye is ready.

6. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

once mike james says yes, what chances do we have to acquire the following players:

freddie jones
    darius songaila
    jared jeffries

bonzi wells seems out of our price range.
    reggie evans just seems like chuck hayes redux.
    flip murray seems like mike james lite.
    melvin ely seems like he's chasing green.
    zo seems like he's fine in miami.
    marcus banks seems too young/inexperienced for everyone.
    kvh sucks.
    drew gooden seems like stro version 3.0 [with a beard].
    chris wilcox also seems to be chasing green.
    and al harrington isn't even in my vocabulary.

i'm secretly hoping that we get mike james with a 4 yr deal on the TE and jeffries on a 4 yr MLE deal. i'm hoping that indiana signs fred jones up for the MLE for 1 year, and then jermaine o'neal goes down for the season, forcing them to look for a quick PF replacement -
    Look! There's JuwannaMan! We trade juwan for freddie, and everyone goes home happy.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

that could be a possibility if the warriors get harrinton in a s&t instead of pacers.

8. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Well we should know by today. god, Mike make a decision and put me out of my misery!!.

9. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Mike James supposed to make a decision today

Come on Mike, come to H-Town!

you got no shot at winning in Minny
    you won't get any PT in Dallas

Houston = perfect balance between winning and playing time

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

how do we know today's the day?

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Did you actually start a new thread because you read <a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=115041">this thread</a>?

12. poseyistheman

poseyistheman Member

Well his agent said in the paper he would most likley choose which team he went to today. We'll see if that holds or not. I hope he chooses Houston cause with him we can most definetly get to round 2 and force anyone 7 games possibly the west finals. Go Rockets!!!

13. shawn786

shawn786 Member

How did you come to this conclusion?

14. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

If James signs I think we are in excellent shape. I was looking at this...

2004 roster (when we lost to Dallas in 7 games).

Starters:

Sura
    Wesley
    Tmac
    BOWEN
    Yao

Reserves:

James
    Barry
    Padgett
    Mutombo
    *Howard was hurt and did not play*

2006 potential Roster:

Starters:

Alston
    James
    TMac
    Battier/Howard (I think it depends on matchps)
    Yao

Reserves:

Howard/Battier
    Novak
    Head
    Mutombo

And we still might pick up another player or 2.

So how is this years team not shaping up to be better than 2004? If TMac is healthy we can compete with anyone. People keep forgetting that we SHOULD have beaten Dallas in '04, and last year we were bad due to injuries. Don't sell the Rockets short. When you have TMac and Yao you are NEVER too far from being a championship contender....

15. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

But today is a brand new day. Aren't we supposed to start a new MJ thread EVERYDAY? ;)

16. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

17. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Then I think the thread needs a question mark or should read...

Will Mike James make a decision today?

18. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

also they said yesterday when alston was on the program, that he will make a decision tomorrow, which is today...

19. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

That was fridays news... and I thought you had a new scoop... oh well there are worst threads open... long summer days and the waiting game... it's 11 am, 5 hours till the next Rocket summer league game I wonder how many more Mike James threads will be open between then.. Thank God it's officially Corona time...

20. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Definitely a right thread for today unless today is not Monday. Mike James' wife just gave birth and James named him after Rockets. Got it from unreliable source. :D