1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Harris - Pros/Cons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BackNthDay, Oct 10, 2007.

Tags:
  1. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I think Mike Harris is a lock to make the team, see below why.

Pros
    * Nice mid range jumper
    * Excellent rebounder with athleticism (Quicker to the ball)
    * High b-ball IQ (Rice Univ)
    * Can play 3 or 4 as shown last night
    * Excellent finisher around the rim with ability to dunk (Chuck con, misses way too many easy buckets and can't shoot
    * Adelman enjoys the way he plays (Corlis Williamson)
    * Little to no cost to keep

Cons
    * Ability to defend larger 4's (Chuck is in the same boat, however, Mike has the leaping ability to rebound misses)
    * Doesn't have a guaranteed contract.

2. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i have to say yes. he should stay with rox.

3. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

I like harris alot, he's shown to be very active. Yes he's better than snyder and reed, and the comparison to chuck is very accurate, however...

I have to say that chuck didn't miss that many easy shots. Look at his percentage. :p

4. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

Chuck is consistently a high percentage shooter because he is smart and doesn't take shots he can't make.

Harris has really impressed me. It's only one (preseason) game but I'm leaning towards keeping him over Snyder. Snyder would seem to have some trade value and might clench a deal that could move some of our overstock. But we'll see what happens. Having good players to choose from is always a good problem to have as opposed to trying to figure out which scrub to keep for fouling purposes...

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I think Harris is a lock not to make the team and here is why.

*He is a role player not under contract
    *He is only slightly better than Snyder who is under contract.
    *He won't steal minutes from TMac Bonzi and Battier at the 3
    *Or Scola and Chuck at the 4
    *Or Tmac Bonzi Stevie Head at the 2
    *There is no room for him at the inn
    *Did I mention he is not under contract.

So while I generally agree with your assessment on Harris, Les is probably not ready to throw money away on a player who is more likely to start on the IR, than get any significant minutes on the floor. Harris is a DEAD MAN RUNNING.

Of course I could be wrong and Les decides money is no object so lets dump some guaranteed contracts. Harris would probably make the team if he was under contract already.

#5 Old Man Rock, Oct 10, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  6. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

True i agree with you but he is better than petey pablo

7. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

Chuck had a pretty bad game yesterday. Do you think he is going to fall off some from last year? Would suck, since we just gave him an extension and we would have to cut someone that is a good player, maybe like Mike Harris, to keep him.

8. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

*edit

I mean Justin Reed

9. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

agree most but one. he is much better than snyder just based on last nite game. he has very good mid to long range js. he doesn't force a bad shot. he can also attack the basket and rebound very well.

i start to think we might find another very solid role player like we did to chuck. :p

10. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Pretty much the same as Kelenna Azubuike was for us last year then, according to what you said, Old Man Rock. Back then the coaches were high on him too, but they had to cut someone, and financially speaking, he was the only viable candidate.

Here's hoping for Morey to trade one or two of our fringe players (Snyder + JL3 anyone?) so that we have room for Harris. He definitely looks like a keeper. I'd rather him be on our team than on someone else's team where he can hurt us.

11. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

If Harris has a nice mid-range jumper (I didn't see the game yesterday), I'd do the unthinkable and would cut Hayes in favor of Harris.

Harris and Hayes are going to cancel each other out on the effort/rebounding side of things. Hayes' only offense is missing layups or getting fouled where he will miss his FTs.

If Harris is capable of hitting 15 ft jumpers, something Hayes can never do, then he would be a better player for us than Hayes.

I love Hayes, but his limitations are holding us back.

12. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

It could come down to whether Morey can complete a trade so Harris can stay on the team. Other teams know this though so we'll see. If some injuries occur in the next couple of weeks on some teams then that may be Mike's best chance to stay.

13. darnbni99a

darnbni99a Member

i like him alot myself..we need 2 keep him

14. SLrocket

SLrocket Contributing Member

hes like chuck hayes with a mid-range jumper and way more athleticism

15. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

I like his style alot.
    His agressivnes and quickness but you know if he stays,Snyder must leave and vice-versa.Sooo....

16. AXG

AXG Member

Yesterday was the first time I saw him play and he impressed me a lot. He has a better shot than Snyder and does everything else just as well. He's also got a strong physique to defend bigger players in the post. I think he's better than Snyder or Reed to make the team.

17. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

"Chuck is in the same boat"?

Mike Harris cannot even begin to dream of matching Chuck's strength in the low post. Chuck is very capable of defending larger 4s effectively and has proven this time and again. He is even able to make use of his long wingspan to bother taller guys who try to shoot over him.

I'd say you can make a case about Harris' rebounding, but don't even bother trying to put him in the same league as a prime defender like Chuck.

18. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

...That means players like Mike Harris will get an early opportunity to show they belong on the roster. The Rockets have 19 players on their preseason roster and have to narrow it to 15 by the season opener.

"I've just got to play hard," Harris said. " I feel like if I play hard, my game will speak for itself. Right now, I think if I play hard and make the open shot or a smart decision when I have the ball, I think everything will fall into place..."
    Just a citate :D
    http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Rockets_tinkering_with_lineup_-238766-34.html

19. rocketfan20

rocketfan20 Contributing Member

If Harris is cut and Landry makes the team, I think it shows we made a stupid decision by signing Landry. Harris has been far better than Landry both offensively and defensively.

If we cut Harris, I think we'll regret it for years when he signs with another team. I like Chuck Hayes a lot and think Harris ahead of where Hayes was when he first came into the league. Given some time, he could be a real asset to the team.

20. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

He looked VERY nice last night...