1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Harris and Rice - Athletes and GPA's

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by returningfan, Aug 29, 2010.

1. kevolution

kevolution Member

Yeah, that sucks.... Rice is a lot better school than UTSA lol

2. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

yep...I hope he has a good season this year.

3. showtang043

showtang043 Member

I went to an Ivy and I met the athletes who did have lower scores, but my take is its hard to consider them 'less smart'. Although everyone has extra curriculurs, the really serious athletes that devote literally their entire day to the sport and whatever else to make sure there grades are decent is just overstated. Its not simply pick up game like it is, I have met the guys come in and they are up at 5-6 working out everyday in HS and then after practice they are back working on their games, so when you see them still do decent and put priority in their school work, their scores may not be the same, but you understand they had a different situation too. Its not enitrely fair, but I do see and appreciate waht it takes to excel at that level and its more than just height and athleticism(but of course not in all cases). I also played a varsity sport in college for half a year and the demand is just uncanny, more grueling and tiring to add to the rigors of school than I could've imagined. Just made me respect the ones who put through it and some who even manage to get in the academic honor roll while playing, its literally a full day with very little free time if any

4. Precision340

Precision340 Member

for athletics?

5. returningfan

returningfan Member

Just remembering Hakeem arriving in the US barely speaking English.
    He did graduate from UH, right? Did his four years? I know he had tutors but how did he do it? I can't imagine. Clyde did his four as well and got a degree? Would be interesting to see the courses taken and grades made for some of the pro's.

6. Steve_Francis_rules

He may have had a really thick accent, but Hakeem was fluent in English before coming to the US. IIRC, I read in his book that they were only allowed to speak English in his schools in Nigeria.

7. returningfan

returningfan Member

I bought and read the book. IIRC the book mentions his joy in finding shoes that actually were his size and fit. Also he thought when getting off the plane that the east coast too cold of a place to live. Hello Houston!