1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike D'Antoni will not return as Rockets coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Sep 13, 2020.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

they never got any consistent time, they were mainly just glued to the bench

I remember the 1st time I saw Dort play...he had 3 airballs from 3, and I remember commenting in the game thread about how garbage and scrubby he looked offensively...he got 32 minutes that game

with MDA, he’s not getting that time being such a liability on offense...by the 2nd airball, he’s out and probably doesn’t see the floor for another month

Dort with that shooting, I don’t see MDA playing a young player like that...agree to disagree tho

RayRay10, saleem, UTSA2step and 3 others like this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Gary is a useful player, Hartenstein has potential.

MDA didn't play Harrel much either, Trez goes to the Clippers and is the 6MOTY.

Do the Rockets even throw in Trez if they knew his real value? Likely not. Rockets with Trez all these years would be a SIGNIFICANTLY better team.

3. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

The guy benched Nene last year against GS, who literally didn’t miss a shot, or a defensive rotation the whole series.

In the exit interview; STUPID says “you lose with Clint Capela”. Ugh I wanna slap his head into a normal size to this day for that.

He kept Clint on the court, while he got KILLED, just because he liked him. Meanwhile Nene was amazing as he always is in the postseason.

Little Bit and JayGoogle like this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

Ben played because House got canned. Gary should have played but Gary could not shoot nor was he an amazing on ball defender.

House got canned and then Ben started playing

Rivers couldnt shoot at all this series and he still got playing time.

D-rock likes this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

Nene would have gotten eaten alive by Curry....and he did.

6. HP3

HP3 Member

I just think if the numbers bared out that he was a positive impact player, Mike would have played him....but we can agree to disagree.

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I was under the impression that McHale blew Les' pants off and made Morey hire him. Morey brought him in to interview because he had a fangirl crush on him but didn't expect him to be the hire.

HP3 likes this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

Gary needed more time, Im not saying Mike isnt at fault for that. No one has signed Hartenstein since we cut him.

Trez has his flaws here and he has his flaws with the Clippers. But yea he should have played more.

Errr...maybe? Idk, its hard to say, Trez isnt a very good defender tbh.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Every single player has thier flaws unless they are generational talent like Lebron or Jordan.

That's the point though.

Can a coach see through a players flaws and realize how his strengths could affect a game? So yeah, of course, Trez has his flaws...but people here then knew he was a good player that should have seen the floor a lot more.

Sometimes you have to give guys burn, that's what the regular season is for, and MDA for a lot of the regular season has playoff rotations and I think we've parted ways with a lot of useful players because of it.

RayRay10 and DreamShook like this.
  10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Montrezl didn't play BECAUSE he was a rookie under MDA. Montrezl had his best game against perennial championship favorite GSW and Draymond. MDA didn't take that into account and never played him again.

Montrezl didn't rebound that well or play great defense when he was with the Rockets, but that's when you start to coach up a young player with passion and the idgaf attitude.. MDA did none of that. smh.

RayRay10, snowconeman22 and JayGoogle like this.
  11. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Okay. Let’s do what the reality is:

https://stats.nba.com/vs/#!?PlayerID=201939&VsPlayerID=203991&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Playoffs

They removed Nene from the profiles since he’s retired.

But Curry sucked in Clint minutes and without Clint minutes.

Difference is, the Rockets offense was much better with Nene.

Nene had a positive +/- in 5 out of 6 games vs GS.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hilarne01/gamelog/2019/

In his small playing time, that means they were basically dominating with him. This is a series where every single game was close and came down to the last minute.

Didn’t miss shots. Played excellent defense.

Fun fact: Nene had 3 steals and 2 blocks in 44 minutes against GS. With only 2 fouls.

Clint Capela had 3 blocks and 1 steal in 172 minutes.

D’Antoni legitimately threw the series away. And the title window by playing Clint who they had 1000% figured out. Nene had a midrange game, had actually post moves, used his crazy strength, and was a much smarter player than Clint.

Again MDA’s low scouting skill is never gonna pick up on any of that.

AroundTheWorld, HP3 and JayGoogle like this.
  12. HP3

HP3 Member

I'm saying Trez wasnt as good as you made him out to be here, neither was Lou Williams they both played mediocre defense while they were here. If you saw Dort defending Lebron and hindering him, you dont think he would have played? Sorry I just dont believe that.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He quit 3 games ago.
    Rockets picked him
    Off the trash heap.
    Revived his career.

Just sad it ended like this
    I wish him well...

Rocket River

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

MDA's teams were #2 behind an all time dynasty for years. Mike would have had at least one title were it not for Adam Silver. (But CP3 shouldn't have been on the court when he got hurt)
    He really unlocked James. Yes, the system is huge, but give MDA credit.

On the other hand, his ingame decisions/strategy/ rotations...Lets just say all that leaves a lot to be desired.

Overall he exceeded my expectations, but in doing so set the bar very high. Ironically, he took us to a place that didn't allow for his margin of error.

To me, Mike's a cool/classy dude...
    And, I have enormous respect for what he's achieved here.

But it's time to go.

fattz, D-rock, SORF and 12 others like this.
  15. fattz

fattz Member

I think MDA is a really good person just as KMH is. I also think he made the team better by being a our head coach just like Kevin McHale did. Here the difference MDA will not be easy to replace as KMH. MDA is one of best to ever coach, IMO, Every where he goes he turns someone into an MVP. Yes said player has talent but coach maximize it to a makes said player a once in a generation type talent. All while changing the rest of the league because they are trying to keep up with him.

Coach thanks for your service and watching what you did with Harden is that of legend.

thanks you and I wish you only the best as long as your not against the Rockets. If we can’t win I hope you do.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

@DreamShook just pointed it out though...

Trez DID show he could contribute, at some point you have to coach players up, of course the young guy is not going to be perfect or anything close to it. But you coach him up.

So now look at where we are at. A big reason we are in this hole is because we have NO valuable young players. None. We've released them all or traded them all away for guys MDA can trust.

RayRay10 and DreamShook like this.
  17. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

I’m glad MDA isn’t returning. He always racks up a lot of wins during the season but he was never going to bring a championship to Houston. He hasn’t won one yet, and never will. And quite honestly I was bored to death with his style of play. Gone are all of the high flying dunks and shot blocking, only to be replaced by three point shooting. Hell, even when the players had wide-open layups they would still kick the ball out for a 3. Boring!

Time to make some trades starting with Gordon. Ship him out for a guy like Schroeder or at least a guy with handles that can the ball the ball with consistency. Gordon is way too inconsistent and his handles are horrible, not to mention he’s injury prone.

Next, do you want you can to bring in some draft picks and grab a free agent they can defend the interior. And if there’s any chance to trade Westbrook and grab a draft pick in return, you do it. It’s time to start planning for the future instead of this win-now mode. Personally, I would keep Harden but if the right deal comes along I think you have to consider it. He’s not getting any younger so if you can get a young up-and-coming superstar and a draft pick in return, you gotta do it. However, it would need to be a potential star in the mold of Mitchell or Murray, otherwise you hang onto Harden.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. HP3

HP3 Member

Nene had was 37 years old man....how the hell did you expect him to play more minutes without him getting completely cooked, doesnt Gerald Green also have a positive net rating for this series too? Or am i wrong here.

19. HP3

HP3 Member

There is a rose tinted view of Harrel he couldnt play defense and could not get rebounds.

Mike isnt the reason he even left the next season either.

Yea its Mike's fault we dont have Gary Clark or Hartenstein....man come on with this stuff

topfive likes this.
  20. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

He coached this team against an all-star team the Warriors. It was fun watching and fully offensive minded team but we needed a good balance in the playoffs with bigger rotations. Good luck in Phili D’Antoni!!

RayRay10 likes this.