1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike D'Antoni introductory press conference

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, May 31, 2016.

1. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

I think the Corey Brewer sarcasm part of my post may have been missed.

2. Marteen

Marteen Member

Honestly, I'm excited.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Mike D'Antoni on coaching <a href="https://twitter.com/JHarden13">@JHarden13</a>: :&quot;He's 1 of the biggest threats, period.Just a great player. So really looking forward to it&quot; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a></p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/737748044322476032">May 31, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

I didn't think I could be more disappointed until I saw he shaved his mustache.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harden should shave the beard, then we'll know EVERYONE is serious about winning it all.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

4 greats &mdash; great opportunity, city, organization, player. Said Mike, "I don't need to make the Rockets great again! They already are great!" ;)
    2 mentions of James Harden
    2 hopefuls &mdash; hopefully get the job done & hopefully assist Daryl Morey
    2 mentions of getting the job done &mdash; "Hopefully we can get the job done" & "try and the job done"
    1 Daryl Morey mention
    1 Leslie Alexander mention &mdash; great owner because he was one of the few(only?) that would employ me as a head coach.

Has an over/under been set on the number of times defense is mentioned tomorrow? :p

7. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Someone needs to ask the important questions like: "Is Durant a feasible option this summer? Is Dwight Howard coming back (Pray to God not)?

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

0 mention of Dwert.

9. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

He is very confident! Using words like "Try" and "Hopefully" just doesn't sound like he can get the job done.

"Do or Do Not, there is no Try: - Yoda

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Mike D'Antoni on taking over as new head coach of the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a>: &quot;Thrilled to have the opportunity and going to try to make the most of it.&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/737742149249179649">May 31, 2016</a></blockquote>

Try, Try try

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Mike D'Antoni on what this opp means:&quot;A lot.To be able 2work w/guys on the team like James Harden&amp;company,hopefully we can get the job done&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/737743035857915904">May 31, 2016</a></blockquote>

Hopefuly

10. Nook

Nook Member

I know that Mike D'Antoni is WELL KNOWN in NBA circles for being a brilliant offensive mind.... but also an enormous B.S. artist....... but the amount of empty and ass kissing answers he gives can get nauseating.

No one ever knows what he really thinks or believes and he seldom takes responsibilities for his failures.

I don't blame D'Antoni for the Knicks demise. Anthony made it very clear that he would not run the offense that D'Antoni installed (which was working BTW). D'Antoni went to an extremely volatile organization and really had no choice. He was gone as soon as Anthony hit the floor because Anthony was going to ISO 35 minutes a game.

I don't even fully blame him for the Lakers mess. He inherited a team that had two post players that did not mesh, wanted to run the post passing through Gasol but was flat out told to get the ball to Howard. D'Antoni did not handle it well and openly let his resentment get leaked to the press and it was obvious on the floor as well.

When it comes to Kobe, D'Antoni turned into an omega. He did not stand up to his star player. He wanted to limit him to 30 minutes a game. Bryant would scream at D'Antoni during games that he wouldn't come out, that HE would decide when he would come out. Kobe ended up getting hurt....... and what did D'Antoni do? He blamed Kobe, said that he had no choice, that he couldn't make Kobe come out. The hell he can't, he is the head coach. If you are going to get fired, go out on YOUR terms; which D'Antoni didn't do. The truth is that it was too much effort for D'Antoni to reign in Kobe. Granted Kobe would eventually win the power struggle regardless (Buss would do whatever Kobe wanted), but do you think Phil Jackson or Greg Popovich would give in? Hell, would Adelman or Van Gundy?

So we will see what happens, D'Antoni is brilliant offensively, there is no one better in the entire NBA. The second most brilliant offensive coach is his protege. However, D'Antoni doesn't know how to handle people or relationships.

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

Les should throw big money to Silas and beg him to join us as lead assistant, just in case we need another coach after 11 games.

12. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

4 greats already? What a great ass kisser! Next kiss would be Les's wife.

13. Nook

Nook Member

He already was ass boned in the Les Alexander's executive office.

No fear, Les wore loafers without socks when he did the deed.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the sh!ts about to hit the toilet water....splash..

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets...-up-contract-talks-with-new-coach-7955268.php

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Does that mean that Roy Rogers might join the staff as well? Or that he was an option and we chose Bzdelik over him?

17. Nook

Nook Member

My understanding is that Morey wants to add both Bzdelik and Rogers. Bzdelik would be in charge of the defense. Rogers is known as a strong stabilizing figure in the locker room and at practice.

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I remember reading the same, which is why I ask. Hopefully we can make it happen. Would make the D'Antoni hire more palatable for sure.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Rex Kalamian is still possible, but would like to be given the top assistant assignment, and he won't get that in Houston with Bzdelick running the defense.

Rex would be a solid hire. He is a good intermediary between the players and the head coach/front office.

He would ultimately be in charge of game preparation and help D'Antoni with offense.

On one hand, working with D'Antoni would pump up his resume, but on the other, would he have much real say in what the team does or doesn't do.

Toronto also would like to lock him up when they lock up Casey.

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

So this guy is actually someone I'd really like on staff; because he can get through to Harden; who I'm starting to worry is a knucklehead.

And I'm obviously supportive of the Bezdlik hire because we badly need defensive intensity and coaching.

But it really does all come down to the personnel and no one has made a convincing argument as to how we'll be able to aquire the personnel to contend. The rest is just window dressing.