1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike D’Antoni Defensive Adjustments

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jul 31, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

RayRay10 and HP3 like this.
  2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Cuz we lost our second best player to injury. Nothing else that happened even matters.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Please wear your moral
    Championship trophies shirt
    I’m sure you got one with the three peat we got with Tmac
    @Reeko @Os Trigonum

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. tinman

Supporting Member

@RayRay10

to all of you who saw no defensive strategy until the other team scored 130 points
    Did see the real game
    We won but that didn’t change that fact

don’t let these fake Mike DAntoni only fans tell you didn’t watch it
    @Reeko

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

Tinman, the problem is that if MDA is fired, u are likely looking at Tyronn Lue, Kenny Atkinson, JVG, SVG, etc...we saw Thibs being mentioned (thank God the Knicks scooped him up)

the guys you’re mentioning would not be available

Would u like a Lue, JVG, or Atkinson more than MDA? I would be fine with Atkinson, but he’s still unproven. A JVG hiring would likely require another restructuring of the team because I can’t see him loving or buying into this small team.

tinman and D-rock like this.
  6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

It’s very difficult to play defense nowadays in the NBA. Players like Harden, Steph and Seth Curry, Trae Young,
    Durant, Eric Gordon, Beal, Klay Thompson, Clemons, etc can rise up and shoot 35 foot three pointers. It’s impossible
    to cover the paint and every 3-pt shooter nowadays due to spacing.

Best you can do is chart the most dangerous shooters on the other team and rotate defensively accordingly....
    means challenging the facilitators shot (while not giving an and 1) with a double team and ask certain players
    to make their shots; over and over again.

Rockets eventually have to double a Porzingis or Doncic penetration drive while staying close to Hardaway
    and Seth Curry. Possibly leaving Kleber, Finley-Smith and Trey Burke somewhat open. In the playoffs
    our players will study them and learn where they like their shots........and tighten up the rotations slightly.
    Hopefully not having to overcompensate in the process. The normal adjustments a series brings.

This is why not have a lumbering big center helps prevent against that liability. Big Centers being the liability in the sense that they don’t care to rotate that far out on the perimeter.

In the end, just mix things up in the fourth or intermittently during the game......double teams that is.

Just my take.

#66 ApacheWarrior, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    TimDuncanDonaut and D-rock like this.
  7. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Nothing to do with defense, but seriously, does nobody think it’s stupid Harden wasn’t told that he should miss that free throw on purpose???

8. TimDuncanDonaut

Match up wise: what seems to be a touch challenge for Rockets are teams that are tall and can spread the floor. If a team only has one of these, we may be able to overcome with our offense. Mavs and Bucks have both, but Bucks also has better defense. To beat these kind of teams, Rockets have to try very hard and play physical. Last night's game, the guys gave a lot of themselves.

1. Teams like OKC and MAVs can get hot on the threes. Against the switch defense, their scrub players get into rhythm and have career nights on us. Porzingas is tall, can shoot and spread the floor. Our team can maybe withstood their onslaught, with grit and clutch, pulled a win.

2. Lakers, a tough team, who's tall, but not great from range. We may be able to counter punch with our offense.

3. Bucks. They're tall, and can shoot, and they have good defense. I don't think they're unstoppable, but the recipe to counter by eastern teams seems to be with size on Giannis. This is something we're not. 76ers has Embiid and paid premium Horford. Raptors has Siakim, Gasol, and Ibaka,

Rockets can't use that. So I'm not sure what're we're going to do. Are we dusting off Tyson? Or maybe put some of that wingspan like Bruno on Giannis to see. If we're switching all the time they may do things to get a specific matchup. Still rooting for the Rockets obviously, but not sure what defensive schemes we're going to apply. I would maybe look at the two Miami wins over Bucks this year, Spolestra may have figured out some things.

#68 TimDuncanDonaut, Aug 1, 2020
  9. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

I would get Luc some playing time...please! Lets see if he has anything left. If not bring in Joe Barry Carroll to grab some boards.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't have a problem with you wanting D'Antoni fired. That's a legitimate subject for debate, whether someone wants that to happen or not. What I have a problem with, tinman, is you saying that a majority of the board doesn't want a championship. You know perfectly well that that isn't true. We care about that as much or more than you do, with a few exceptions here and there, and you know it.

HP3 likes this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

It doesn't dude. read the threads,
    I got clap back already that we had moral victories over Golden State.

We're the minority. This board ONLY CARES IF ESPN OR FOX SPORTS TALKS OR TNT says about them.
    @Reeko @Os Trigonum

It totally mirrors the 'likes' society media obsessed society we have now.

Look at the most popular threads, MAX KELLERMAN SAID....

12. HP3

HP3 Member

There is no guarantee that if we had a different coach we would have a championship though. You just want to blame the coach.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

BS, tinman.

I’m watching the game again. You can argue with someone else.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Well I don’t know how many times we can not reach the finals before he goes
    He has the Tilman is broke thing going for him

15. tinman

Supporting Member

The defense being bad ?
    You don’t when watch the whole game is that
    Look at the score

16. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

I think Eric Gordon is dropping. The team will become much more strong, if we start house and put Eric Gordon in the bench.

Eric can work as a backup for house, harden and westbrooks. It will become more effective

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

not handing out any moral victories, but he’s gotten closer than any coach since Rudy T...we have to give him that

Chris Paul’s hamstring is why he hasn’t reached the finals and won it all

U can say he didn’t make adjustments in game 7 against GS, but honestly, what are all these adjustments he could’ve made? They never stopped attacking the rim. The refs were letting GS get away with an insane amount of contact in the paint. We had no post up threat. We had nothing but scrubs like Ryno and Joe Johnson on the bench by then. The only one who could create and hit a midrange jumper on the team at a respectable rate with CP3 gone was Harden. I mean, the team missed 27 straight threes. U can only blame MDA so much for that.

Am I opposed to getting rid of MDA? No, he has major flaws, but I need to be convinced that any likely replacement would do better. Pop, Doc, Brad Stevens, Nurse, and Spo aren’t likely replacements.

HP3 and D-rock like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Refs were also allowing GSW to hammer at Harden and EGo like they were pinatas. And when they did deign to call the obvious foul, there was no continuation or the shot did not count.

Not to mention all the other BS non calls given to GSW.

Never have I seen such a blatant out of bounds non call, and in the final SECONDS of a tied game????

Ridiculous to blame this on coaching.

#78 D-rock, Aug 1, 2020
    Reeko likes this.
  19. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Either LeBron and AD are having horrible games or the Raptors figured out to neutralize them. AD is totally neutered in this game. 3 points near the end of the 3rd quarter.

Reeko and D-rock like this.
  20. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Unfortunately, it's probably the Raptor's size that is bothering them plus a well-executed defensive scheme.