1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Conley expected to leave Grizzlies in free agency

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

[​IMG]

2. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

who do you think fits with harden and is available on the market?

3. what

what Member

Harden is not interested in giving up control of the offensive-side of the ball. Harden has great skill. In fact, he's the most skilled 2 guard in the league, but he only wants to use those skills to maximize his our stature.

The young harden (the one that OKC) got to see, was his best version of himself.

I'd take an 18 point a night harden who plays defense and uses his skill to get his teammates better shots. His skills are undeniable, if he just understood this.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He does do this, though...

5. Sanity2disChaos

Yes, but he absurdly makes plenty mistakes that are frustrating and now become predictable. He talent is unmatched ,it's between the ears that's holding him back. Star searching doesn't help and he doesn't play defense. There is no excuse for effort if you call yourself the man.

6. thedude077

thedude077 Member

The only point guard that fits with Harden is Beverley. No other point guard fits with Harden even if it was the great Magic Johnson. For me, if I was the owner I would fire Morey and hire a better, smarter GM and make him trade Harden and reboot the whole team.

7. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Yes, it's amazing how Harden misses all those wide open shots that these role players take for them!!!

8. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

And that's why you AREN'T the owner!!

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Getting Harden and Durant to talk to Conley about teaming up would be great.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Then all 3 of them will talk to Horford, and all 4 of them will talk to Noah.

11. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Don't forget about the key plug Corey Brewer recruiting Horford and Noah. That is why he gets playing time...

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

I like Conley but:

- i'm not sure he's a great fit with Harden, not saying he's bad, i actually think Conley is similar to Horford in the sense he could probably fit in any kind of team/sistem, just not that perfect

- in a situation where you sign Durant, i think it's better to sign Horford since we desperately need a 4/5, Beverly will be good (and cheap) enough to play next to Harden and Durant, no need to have another player which needs the ball to be more effective

Capela
    Horford
    Durant
    Harden
    Beverley

with this second unit

D.Mo (if he's still here -> not sure but i hope so)
    Beasley/Harrell/Smoove
    Ariza
    KJ
    Goldie/Jet

plus a MLE/BAE to sign a couple of good bench players (maybe to replace one between Trevor/D.Mo/KJ) and we'll be good to go imo.

In this situation you can also play a dirty small lineup to close games without worries of Howard/Capela being hacked and to match well GS with Green playing at 5.

Horford
    Durant
    Ariza
    Harden
    Pat

13. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not particularly well - he's great at kicking out to the guys on the three point line but other than the occasional pick and roll with Capella, he never creates easy lay ups for anyone else and he's almost as bad as Francis was on the fast break. You can't blame that all on our role players - McGrady used to get Chuck Hayes lay ups all the time. In Harden's case, I don't think it's an unwillingness to make these plays so much as he doesn't have NBA PG court vision, passing ability and (I think this is most important) timing. When he does attempt interior passes, they always seem to be about a second later than would be optimal. Add the fact that he often passes at other players' feet and it's easy to see that he isn't a great facilitator (in execution).

James simply doesn't have real PG skills other than a willingness to pass. On a team with a legit PG, that would be a strength as most 2 guards are black holes. Unfortunately, we don't have a legit PG or (as an alternative) an organized system where everyone keeps the ball moving. So that leaves James creating or trying to create everything.

So I'd love to see a real pg (who hasn't lost his mojo like Lawson) come in here and take on the bulk of playmaking. I think it would make everyone - Harden especially - much better. Whether Conley is that PG or whether Harden would be willing to adjust to this are the real questions.

14. dragician

dragician Member

CONLey > Beverly*100

15. colt45nyc

colt45nyc Rookie

If the money is right he will be a rocket next season.....money talks and this will be his last big contract in his career.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

What in the world are you people talking about? Conley is a great fit with Harden. Great defender, good three point shooter, low usage guy.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;We are undefeated in re-signing our core players, and we will remain so. We are going to re-sign Mike Conley&quot; - Chris Wallace</p>&mdash; Chris Vernon (@ChrisVernonShow) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChrisVernonShow/status/722857757435559937">April 20, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. malakas

malakas Member

He will get offered 25 per by multiple teams and Memphis can give him the most money and the most years.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Grizzlies clearly intend to re-sign Mike Conley this summer. Here's what a max offer could look like: <a href="https://t.co/D7FJxLp3IY">pic.twitter.com/D7FJxLp3IY</a></p>&mdash; Tommy Beer (@TommyBeer) <a href="https://twitter.com/TommyBeer/status/723590129164685312">April 22, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Paying Mike Conley the max lmaoooooooo