1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Miguel Cabrera

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Fegwu, Jun 27, 2006.

1. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

As much as we need another bat, I'm more concerned about fixing our bullpen right now. I don't know who is available that would be worth picking up, but it seems like the moment our starters leave the game, we're almost admitting defeat. I have faith our bats will get hot after the allstar break, because that's been the trend the past couple of years. But the thing that was so consistent the past two years was our bullpen. With the exception of pitchers like Mike Gallo, it felt like no matter who we tossed out from pen, we'd get another scoreless inning. But this year, I don't feel that way about anybody.

2. Buck Turgidson

But you're not smart enough to answer the actual question I was asking! ;)

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I never said I was that smart!

Honestly at this point I just hope we do something.

4. Buck Turgidson

They're working on it. Only problem is there's about 8 or so other teams looking for the exact same things the Stros are. Seller's market right now, hopefully that changes.

5. dream34shake

dream34shake Rookie

To get Miguel Cabrera we would basically have to completely deplete our farm system. There is no person in the MLB that is worth depleting all of your farm system. He is only 23 YEARS OLD, so he hasn't even hit his prime yet. The Marlins probably have a very high asking price. And anyways I don't think the Marlins will trade him anyways because they are doing very well right now considering the low expectations they had with the youngest team in baseball.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Buck - again, this is a three for one deal, but the first trade that came to my mind was when we sent Glen Davis to Baltimore in exchange for some clowns named Steve Finley, Pete Harnisch and Curt Shilling. Glen Davis wasn't a 23 year old superstar like Cabrera is now, at the time, though.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Lidge and Burke.

DD

8. Major

Major Member

If the Marlins are going to trade him, they'd want someone they don't have to pay for several more years - Lidge doesn't qualify as he'll be getting a raise before Cabrera.

The Marlins tend to trade players that are about to get a big raise - I'm not sure Cabrera qualifies for another year or two (same with Willis).

9. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

I'd give up anybody except : Oswalt, Pettite, Clemens, Burke, Berkman maybe Lidge and Backe. I'd think that FLA would hve to ask for Burke, which would be tough to let him go. I also think you'd have to give up one of Troy Patton, Jason Hirsch, Hunter Pence or maybe Bucholz or Nieve.

Lane
    Everett
    Taveras
    Patton

I would do that.

10. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

This must be a joke, right?

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It would take Nieve, Hirsh, and Burke.

I wouldn't do it either.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I would consider that.

DD

13. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

Your attitude with the Astros reminds me of a petulant five year old.

Short-sighted much?

14. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I would too. We are talking one of the best players in baseball.

15. Hakeem's Dream

Hakeem's Dream Contributing Member

I wouldn't give up Burke for the world. He's a diamond in the rough so to speak.

16. Gay4Battier

Gay4Battier Member

bagpipes and biggio for cabrera sounds good

17. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Exactly ! The kid is my new favorite Astro . I purchased his jersey about a month back .

18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The youth, versatility and contract make Cabrera really, really enticing. The Marlins are going to want a boatload and he may be worth it. I just don't think we can match offers that the Angels and Dodgers can potentially make.

I think the Astros should look for bats on the bottom feeders of the league. David DeJesus of the Royals is a player that would be attractive and not cost a king's ransom (although, this might be a pipe dream, too...he's young, cheap and talented). Another player in the same mold who could be had is David Dellucci of the Phillies.

If I were Tim Purpura I would focus on getting the bullpen some help and hope Jason Lane, Brad Ausmus and Morgan Ensberg rediscover their form at the plate.

19. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Bartolo Colon for Brandon Phillips, Grady Sizemore and Cliff Lee(with Lee Stevens). The only one off the top of my head.

Did any of the Marlins other firesale trades ever get up that level? They moved a ton of good talent.

20. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I'd take Rocco Baldelli from Tampa Bay.