1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Might sound and look crazy but...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Since75, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Since75

Since75 Member

This is all contingent upon Tyrus Thomas falling to 8 which is possible.

Trade involves 4 teams. Works under Tradechecker:

Houston trades #8 Swift, Head
    New Orleans trades #12,#15 and J.R. Smith
    Utah trades #14
    New Jersey trades #22

Houston gets #12,#14,#15,#22
    New Orleans gets #8 and Luther Head
    Utah gets J.R. Smith
    New Jersey gets Swift.

Rockets need depth size and athleticism. Carney, Foye, Ager and Shawne Williams ideally would all be available with these picks. Carney swings between 2 and 3, Foye(6th man) swings between 1 and 2, Ager the 2 and Williams simply a freak who can play 1,2,3,and 4. With the 32nd pick Rox take Solomon Jones for backup center.

Free agent wise I believe the Rox should pursue Radmonavic. He fits the style of 4 Van Gundy likes and should be had for the MLE.

N.O. wants an athletic 4 and Luther fills the need for back up 2 albeit small.

Utah needs a SG. Smith has size and ability and wants and will be traded.

New Jersey wanted Swift before it appears, and he fits better with a team that likes to run and Kidd will make him look good like he made Martin look before he went to Denver.

Lineup
    Yao, Mutombo, Jones
    Rad, Howard, Williams
    Tmac, Carney, Williams
    Ager, Carney, Foye
    Alston, Foye

So what do you guys think?

2. boomer83

boomer83 Contributing Member

That's not too farfetched, but why not just keep Utah out of it and keep JR Smith for ourselves.

Oh and I dont know if NJ has an MLE sized TE.

3. Since75

Since75 Member

I thought about that, but I wanted the ability to control things a little more with the 14th pick. Also I forgot to add that Sura would have to be involved to make the deal work. No great loss. PJ Brown could be thrown in and it still works. In fact I wouldn't mind having him as a backup for one year and his salary of 8mil is up after the upcoming season. Kind of doubt is N.O would add his though.

4. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

A four team deal on draft day, when teams only get 5 minutes between picks. This will never happen. Simple is better. #8 + Luther for #12 + #15 + Smith. Or just the draft picks, 8 for 12 + 15.

Although if Thomas falls to us, I'd be tempted to just take him.

5. Since75

Since75 Member

The conversation would have taken place prior to the draft like most trades do. It's not as difficult as it appears.

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

it will be really hard to do since its contigent on thomas being there at the #8 spot or even any of the other players that you proposed be drafted with the 4 picks.

its hard to see that many picks interchange between that many teams on draft day.

sadly the most # of picks i've seen on a draft day deal was the eg one, and that was between two teams and it was 4 total picks

7. Since75

Since75 Member

The key would be Philly at 13. If they want Carney it changes things a bit. Williams should be there as well as Ager and Foye.

8. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

vald rad is gonna want way more than the mle...he was offered a good deal by seattle but turned it down thinking he could get better and i'm sure somebody will pay him, because he can shoot

why not just go after jr smith...he's on byron scott's doghouse....they were about to trade him for brent barry straight earlier this season

whatever happens the rockets need to get rid of that sunglasses thief...i would be much happier with stro starting, because he plays better with yao and have hayes back him up

9. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Your entire premise counts on a potential top 3 pick slipping all the way to 8. Not that it won't happen, but do you think 4 teams would waste their time discussing something like this. Even disregarding that uncertainty, that tradechecker looks busted because NJ is sending out zero salary and taking on Stro's $5 million. And last I checked, they're over the cap and the only sizable trade exception that they have is for around $4.5 million from the Marc Jackson trade, which still isn't enough to cover Stro's salary.

Even if it did work capwise there are so many moving parts and contingencies that a deal like this would be ridiculously fragile. And you better believe that most GMs are spending practically every second of their time on scouting, planning a draft strategy. They aren't trying to pull together extremely convoluted trade scenarios that have a very low possiblity of success.

10. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

So, we trade #8, Swift, Head
    and get
    #12,#14,#15,#22

This is a terrible trade for us based on value, here is why.

If you convert what we give away to draft picks based on APPROXIMATE value, here is my breakdown:

#8 = #8

Swift = #15 (yes he's an unde-achiever, but he was serviceable. You can't tell me half of the first rounders this year will be eventually better than Swift. So I think it's fair to say Swift = #15)

Head = #8 (He was #9 in scoring, #7 in assists, #3 in steals, #12 in rebounding, #16 in FG% and #6 in 3p FG% among rookies and was an all rookie second teamer last year. If you ask me, Head was not only a good, but a GREAT pickup at #24. His performance ranking among rookies IN EVERY CATEGORY surpassed his draft position. He should be a top 10 pick last year and we were lucky to have him).

So, that's #8, #8 and #15 for #12,#14,#15,#22. #15 = #15, so essentially you want to trade TWO #8s for #12, #14 and #22. That's a TERRIBLE trade if you ask me.

Before people start to jump on my theory of converting current player to draft pick, let me explain myself alittle. I agree this theory is very incomplete. However, you have to understand that draft picks usually don't pan out. If your team have #24, you read some articles on nbadraft.net and start fantasizing you're gonna get the next Andrei Kirilenko (99), but in fact you'll probably end up with the next Brian Cook (03), or worse, Felipe Lopez (98).

If we get FOUR draft picks in the same year in the middle of the first round, we'd be lucky if two of them are still in the league and contributing after a few years. Assuming all four of them will pan out is simply wishful thinking. However, according to this proposal, we are trading two already contributing players (one with good potential in Luther Head) and another highly likely contributor (for being #8) for these four unknowns. Again, that's a terrible trade.

In the end, I want to emphasize that Luther Head was a GREAT pickup. I don't think people realize that when everyone starts to throw his name out in trades for draft picks. Just becuase he's not and won't be a super star, it doesn't mean he won't be valuable to our team. Think about it, we drafted at #24 and got top 10 value out of him, so we either did our homework well or were very lucky. So why aren't we content? You want to trade him away for another pick in the middle of the first round and HOPE we'll get lucky again? To me, that's like spending all the money you got from winning the jackpot on other slot machines so you can hope to win another jackpot again someday.

I'd be OK if we trade Head away for a better player in a package deal, but trading Head for a draft pick outside of top 10 this year is simply stupid.

11. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

Agreed!

12. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Why do we need 4 draft picks in probably the weakest draft in the decade? :confused:

13. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

Those 4 draft picks could be all BUSTS too..

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I'm not sure any GM or Owner wants to hand out 4 guaranteed contracts to rookies out of this draft.

15. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

This is a terrible idea. The rockets are not in rebuilding mode, they want to win now, and that's not going to happen with 4 rookies. Furthermore, it doesn't make sense financially. In the best case scenario if all 4 make our rotation, we are going to have four players all up for new contracts the same year and there will be no way we can afford to sign them all.

16. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

no way. this isn't NBA 2k6. half those guys won't even pan-out. We don't need a bunch of 21 year olds surrounding yao and tmac. we need 4-5 year guys with some decent experience under the belt and a few younger guys (head, hayes and our #8)

17. Since75

Since75 Member

Needless to say I totally disagree. The Rockets have zero depth on this roster and minimal talent after Tmac and Yao. Let's face it, the win now crap is good for selling tickets but in reality this team is no where near championship caliber. Can they make the playoffs? Probably so, but that will be it. They need an infusion of young talent like the other upper echelons teams have mixed with veterans. All of the guys I named are seniors. They should be able to contribute quality minutes and in one scenario maybe start. If anyone believes that adding Brandon Roy which he won't be available is going to catapult this team into the Finals is crazy.

The only way the Rockets will be true contenders over the next 2 to 3 years while Tmac is still walking is to sign a big time free agent and add some real talent from the bench. You guys keep believing the hype that we're a player or two away. This team needs at minimum 3 legit players. They can't get that in free agency. Why not try to build from the draft. If two of those guys can play we've won big. By the way Stromile is a 5 year veteran and for all practical purposes he's been a bust by any standard. I was and remain one of the biggest supporters of him coming here. So much for already proven talent.

18. sunn99

sunn99 Member

i agree with you on the point that we need AT LEAST 3 (i think 4) legit players. 2 of those need to be high-quality and the other two very, very solid contributors. the question is how do we get them? i think the draft affords us the ability to get the 2 solid contributors and we need to apply laser-like focus to getting the other 2 high-quality players through FA. and how we draft needs to determine how all the other pieces fall into place. if we get a rebounder/defender (s. williams) and athletic combo player/defender (brewer) in the draft, then in FA we will need a SOLID shooter (with length, preferrably. greg buckner, maybe? or in my candyland it would be ray allen) and either another PG, a shooting PF, or a slashing SG

19. Since75

Since75 Member

I think the 2 contributors should be Carney and Foye. Both can play different positions and can score. I'd like to see Radmonavic at the 4. I know he doesn't rebound much or defend but it appears that's the direction the league is going and Van Gundy wants a shooter at that position. I believe Carney could start at 2 and back up the 3. Foye can be your 6th man and play a little point. With the 2nd rounder a guy like Solomon Jones could fill the rebounder/defender role.

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Good post. I don't think there is 1 GM in the league that would want to add 4 guaranteed rookie contracts to their payroll. The fact is that Head will probably be a better player than any of those picks, Swift is servicable and could be moved w/ some filler for an established player, and the #8 pick could guarantee us at least 1 of Carney or Brewer, the #12 doesn't.

And Foye probably won't be around at #12 either, not like it matters anyways.