1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MIE/MBA Concurrent Degree Program at UofH

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Big MAK, May 8, 2013.

1. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Anyone do this?
    http://ie.egr.uh.edu/graduate-program/degree-programs-mie-mba

I'm looking to get my MBA next August and I stumbled on this degree. I received my undergrad in Finance, and while an MBA does open doors, it really is much better academically for someone who wasn't a business major (as I’ve already taken many of the required courses). This degree will give me a masters in IE and an MBA. If you’ve done this, or know someone who has, please let me know, I’ve got a few questions.

2. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

I haven't but am also looking into this. I'm graduating in the Fall as a double major in Finance and Economics.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Man, for some reason I don't come across a lot of legitimate Engineering unis letting non-STEM bachelors into their Masters programs. Any experienced energy professional who's been rejected for multiple in-house marketing or business development jobs will probably tell you every loaded skills question they were asked in their interview made them wish they had a graduate business degree, trading experience or engineering/project experience; so definitely go for it.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I'd just go for an MBA only, but at a higher rated school than UH

5. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Well, I'm thinking either Rice MBA or the dual degree from Houston. It seems, speaking primarily of the energy industry, that most VPs and up have backgrounds in engineering with graduate level degrees in business (MS Finance, MBA, etc). Even our CFO (I work for a very larger European power/gas company) has his background in engineering. I’m sure other industries like banking may be different.

MBAs now days are getting as common as undergrad degrees. The only way to distinguish yourself amongst the vast array of MBA grads is to get a degree from a top tier school. While Houston offers a good program, the name UofH doesn't carry the validity of Rice. Part time MBA programs from school like A&M and UT in Houston aren’t even that academically prestigious as compared their full time program. So yeah, I agree with you. If going for just MBA, Rice is a better option. However, in doing so, I'll be just another business major with an MBA. Not that that’s a bad thing, it just doesn’t give you a broader educational background.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Is leaving Houston an option?

Otherwise I think you're focusing too much on what degrees leaders in your company have. Once you establish yourself in a company nobody cares where your degree is from. But you need to get that door open first.

I would choose Rice over UH under all circumstances. It will put you in a different league.

7. platypus

platypus Member

I graduated from U of H with a Chem E degree....as far as an MBA U of H is a solid choice but i have to agree that a Rice MBA carries a bit more weight (especially that you are a business major)

If you were an engineering major per say it wouldn't really matter. But definitely go for Rice if you can. I wouldn't recommend A & M though

One of my former colleagues got an MBA from UH though and seems pretty satisfied. I personally am planning to attend law school at some point in the recent years so I'm in the same boat as you looking for a good school.

Good luck!

8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I was just talking to my vp about degree options and agreed getting degrees in different fields opens up a variety of doors. He actually referred to our head lawyer, saying he got his undergrad in engineering, then eventually his law degree. He said the lawyer is by far the best we've had, since he has the understanding of the technical aspects of our business.

9. platypus

platypus Member

It really does. You should look into engineering as well. I've had numerous classmates who were previously business graduates but decided they wanted another degree. Often the companies they worked for even paid for their tuition so that they could offer them a higher level job etc..

I've always wanted to be a lawyer but I couldn't go to a more prestigious university because of financial reasons. Initially i was disappointed attending U of H as i had turned down Rice. Thus i decided to pick the hardest major i could find so i could actually be challenged. Long story short took a few years but i came out of it well.

I've always wanted to venture into the business side of things though and i am contemplating moving into more of a marketing role if i end up turning down law school.

10. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Rice MBA is so much more expensive, but it is that much more renowned. Make sure the ROI makes sense if you choose to attend Jones. I wish I could afford it

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Rice MBA is not ranked in the top 20.

12. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I have a MS in IE/SE. And then I later got my MBA. The former means nothing to pretty much anywhere I looked. It might give you a tiny edge over candidates in a couple of situations just to get an interview...but that's about it. Unless you're looking for a specific job where this is the requirement

14. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Looking at this sort of thing makes me want to go back to school!

15. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

I am pursuing two Masters from UH at the moment. A Masters of Science in Construction Management and an MBA. I should have both completed by May 2014. I already have two offers on the table that are close to 3 times what I am making right now.

Bottom line, a Masters from a respectable college (not University of Phoenix, DeVry, Remington) will take you places.

16. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

If you're making 40-50k a year and getting an MBA can get you up to $130k then that's awesome. Totally worth it. What about someone already working and at six figures. Is spending $100k for an MBA worth it? That's a lot harder to say. I debated that many times and always said no because I already make more than the average MBA grad. But I've still always wanted the education that comes from an MBA.

17. Pringles

Pringles Member

I'm still an undergraduate student, and my knowledge is limited.... But wouldn't your company help pay for an executive MBA?

18. Yonkers

Sure, if you're a W2 worker and you have that agreement with your company. Not all companies offer this perk. Some of them do but only pay part of it. And some of them do a lottery type system because so many people want to get their MBAs, so you might not get chosen for 5 years.

19. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Depends on your age I guess (and what you do). If you're going to retire in the next decade or two, no worth it. However, if you're young and don't obtain an advanced degree, you're going to have to compete with a ton of other people with graduate degrees down the line. I think no matter what it will pay for itself (from a good school), but might not be as large of a return as it was years ago. It's just something to level the playing field and make you stand out.

And it doesn't matter what you're making now, it's where you want to go in the future, not to mention job security. No guarantee that you'll always have that six fig job. If you get laid off or company goes under, having a graduate degree to fall back on will be beneficial.

I know someone who had their company (employee of 25 years) merge with another. He and one other person from the other co were in competition for the same position, and while he was a better manager of people, the other guy had a masters from a top tier school (I cant remember which one). They picked the other guy. The person I know is making about half of what he made before. Still making 6 figures, but not as much.

20. Yonkers

I do agree with you on most of your points. I guess my argument is the ROI. I'm not arguing getting MBA or doing nothing. I'm arguing that for people who are already 5-10 years into their career and making good money, maybe doing something else will further their career and future proof it more than an MBA might. The question is, is that path likely the right way to go about it for not just some of the people but most of the people even?